Steinhart Mach 1 and Black Tie Thoughts?

Thread: Steinhart Mach 1 and Black Tie Thoughts?

Steinhart Mach 1 and Black Tie Thoughts?

I have had 2 weeks with my new Steinharts..the Black Tie and Mach 1. I don't know how many of you have display backs but I don't think I'll every buy another without it. I've taken the Black Tie off a dozen times just to stare at the watch, the broad display gives a great view of the Unitas 6498 manual wind with “Cote de Geneve” design movement. The deployant is also something else and I just ordered deployants for two of my other watches. If you like big watches this thing is almost 50MM with the crown. I didn't realize they are limited edition and I'm lucky to have mine. Definately a keeper. Anyone else have a black tie? I'm interested in the performance over time. I have experienced less than 2 seconds loss over the last three days. I paid just over 500 for it and LOVE the model for that price.
    I debated buying an omega speedmaster for a while and opted for the Mach 1 chrono with black bezel. I wish it had a display back! I wore it swimming last night for the first time and plan to use it to dive in the Keys in two weeks. last night I wore it to bed as well and woke up in the middle of the night to a crying two year old with a beautiful, bright watch face (the only thing that was beautiful about my 2 am stir). I only have 1 other auto chrono and it is the Breitling B-2. I made the decision this morning to forego the Omega purchase and in fact am considering letting the B-2 go as well.
    Does anyone have the El Patron? I'm really curios to find someone with the Gold model to see how they feel about it being a "suit and tie" watch. Although I think either will do, I would like to have one that is just for that. Right now I use my B-2 for suit and tie days.
    Anyway, anyone have any more thoughts about these email me or let me know. I continue to be in love with the Steinhart brand!
    [email protected]

Re: Steinhart Mach 1 and Black Tie Thoughts?

I think the Unitas series from Steinhart is OK for the price. My only concern is that they will often have blowout sales and devalue the pieces overnight for those that paid anything close to list on the web site. They have done this with other models as well. I know the Grand Marquis was at one time listed at close to $700 and I know that at some point they were offered in the $400 dollar range. The last one I saw was "Buy a Mach 1 and get an Estella for free...". I know the Estella lists at around $400 and the Mach 1 for $825 or so; not sure what that says about value, but anyone who bought either piece before the offer is scratching their heads.

I had a Mach 1, and I had QC issues with it. Steinhart was good about it and attempted on three occasions to fix it. I never did get a good one and eventually they refunded me. It was the right thing to do - I was frustrated at that point. I had written a glowing review on the piece before the first one went south. I now own two Speedmasters with an eye on a third. The two can't be compared beyond very basic functionality. Fit, finish, and execution are orders of magnitude higher on the Omegas, not to mention the fact you get a rich history with them. They're considerably more money - at least double on the pre-owned market, but worth it IMHO. Don't be too quick to wish the Mach 1 had a display back - the modular chronograph movement is fairly pedestrian. Its not completely fugly, but its not really decorated either. If you're looking at the Mach 1, take a close look at Archimde, Tissot, and Hamilton before pulling the trigger. They all have their good points. Not saying the Mach 1 doesn't compete at the lower level, but research all the options before deciding.

I have a question; more of a curiosity: you state that you "continue to be in love with the Steinhart brand" but yet I see you flipping Steinharts on a fairly regular basis on that other popular watch site with the big sales corner area. It seems odd to me. There's nothing wrong with flipping watches quickly - some people make a habit/hobby of it and I've done it myself on occasion - but people typically don't do it with watches they really admire/love. Please don't take it as an insult - I just find it contradictory and was hoping to get some clarification. I did notice that you've sold a lot of other brands as well, but it would seem that you've gone through quite a few Steinhart models. I mean, I really love my Speedmasters, and I can assure anyone that unless I wind up near poverty, they won't go on the block.

Thanks!

Hi Stumper,
    If you don't mind my asking, what were the QC issues with your Mach 1? I have one back at Steinhart now that had a problem with the crown slipping when hand winding. Thanks, Tom

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It fogged up on me at first - something with the seals. I sent it in and it was returned with a broken chrono. That happened twice. The last one they sent me had mis-applied lume on the hands - one was a completely different color than the other. I have no doubt that if you get a good one, its a good watch, but I get the impression that Steinhart (or more acurately, their contract producer) churns these out pretty quickly and the QC could use some improvement. In their defense, I think they were going to be making some changes in this area.

Keep in mind the the ETA 2824 is a notoriously bad hand-winder when coupled with a screw-down crown. I've had that issue with a couple of them, and my Mach 1 was no different. It was actually better than most, but still had the issue. I found that applying a little outward pressue on the crown while winding made it better, but too much and suddenly you're changing the date.

I'm not a huge fan of the DD module paired up the 2824. DD makes a module (might even be the same one) that pairs up with the 2892 series, and I had a chance to check that out - Longines uses this configuration in some of its 'Master' series of watches. Granted, they do a little more finish work, but the result overall was a much smoother movement and the hand-winding was silky.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply Stumper. Hopefully I'll get a good one - or at least a quality repair job - and not end up with a purchase that was a big mistake. It's too bad that such a solid looking watch can't be built with a little more attention to detail on the inside. Tom

Its not a bad watch. For the price, if you have a good one, it will last a long time. I liked it for the breif period I owned it. Its a big hunk of metal!

Thread Information