Steinhart Nav B-Uhr 44 ST1 Premium - Too big? Anything else I should be looking at?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ace McLoud

Thread: Steinhart Nav B-Uhr 44 ST1 Premium - Too big? Anything else I should be looking at?

Steinhart Nav B-Uhr 44 ST1 Premium - Too big? Anything else I should be looking at?

I wasn't planning on buying any more watches, but this caught my eye and I'm in love with it. The simple, beautiful, attractive, not-insanely-priced mech. I've been looking for ever since i got into watches.

Unfortunately, its' the same size as the Invicta I was planning on getting rid of and never wear because it seems too big. Dealbreaker. That said, I took a picture of the Invicta in front of a mirror and I think it might ber fine after all? Here are some photos for reference, of a 44mm Invicta and the 38mm Seiko 5 which does daily duty for me. Wrist is dead on 6.5", and reasonably flat.

What say the collective? As a side note, is there anything similar I should be looking at for the same or less money? As insane as it sounds, the lower-end version just doesn't do it for me next to the beautiful movement, second hand and sandwich dial of the ST1, and I might as well buy the watch I want or not at all.

Re: Steinhart Nav B-Uhr 44 ST1 Premium - Too big? Anything else I should be looking at?

The Invicta looks fine on pic. The important thing to know, is the lug to lug distance more than the size of the bezel IMO. Unfortunately, I have no idea what's the L2L on the Steinhart. I used to have the 48mm Débaufré and the L2L was about 61mm. I sold the watch as it was just too big for my 7'' wrist.

It's a nice watch by the way!
    ~ Daniel ~

Re: Steinhart Nav B-Uhr 44 ST1 Premium - Too big? Anything else I should be looking at?

I think your sweet spot is 40-42 mm. imho the 44 mm looks too big on your wrist.
    Time is relative.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You have the same wrist size as me, but preferences can vary. If you feel the Invicta is ok then you could wear the Steinhart.

If however, you prefer the size of the Seiko, Archimede do watches in a similar style starting from 38mm and upwards.
    Dragunov-21 likes this.

I recommend to also have a look at its sister premium model with excellent Soprod auto movement. It wears beautifully on my 7" wrist.

Cheers guys, I've sent off an email about the L2L, though from the photos it looks like there;s more space than on the Invicta, so I'm not too hopeful.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDagon007 View Post
    I recommend to also have a look at its sister premium model with excellent Soprod auto movement. It wears beautifully on my 7" wrist.
    Is that the one I linked in the third paragraph? If so, it just doesn't do it for me the way the ST1 version does (plus they're no smaller). Or are there other models somewhere I've missed?
    Last edited by Dragunov-21; October 24th, 2014 at 06:52.

I think the 44mm Steinhart will look even bigger on your wrist than the Invicta due to the dial design.

IMO your instinct was right. The Invicta looks too big on your wrist.

Honestly, the sandwich dial is cool but I don't like the seconds subdial. I'd like the non premium better if it didn't have yellow hands.

But at 44mm, I think they're just too big. I have 7" rather flat wrists and my 42mm all dial Vostok is the largest I go.

Have you looked at Laco or Stowa ?
    I think Laco has the best looking fliegers but the $1000 range models have solid case backs. But Stowa has nicely decorated movements.

Steinhart Nav B-Uhr 44 ST1 Premium - Too big? Anything else I should be look...

Quote Originally Posted by Dragunov-21 View Post
    Cheers guys, I've sent off an email about the L2L, though from the photos it looks like there;s more space than on the Invicta, so I'm not too hopeful.

Is that the one I linked in the third paragraph? If so, it just doesn't do it for me the way the ST1 version does (plus they're no smaller). Or are there other models somewhere I've missed?
    Sorry yes it is that one, but while the dial could be seen as less premium, i would rate the movement higher.
    If you are interested, I made this review video:
    http://youtu.be/kgOwBEQMDNU

Regarding smaller alternatives, here are 2 interesting ones:
    In the traditional style, the 40mm Stowa should be a good choice, with a great reputation on general quality. Plus the brand name is one of the original flieger brands:

But my big recommendation is a modern interpretation of the flieger design: Damasko DA36 at 40mm or DA363 at 42mm. These are high precision marvels with an ultra tough case and other tasty details. Very crisp and legible, and somewhat a cult watch. I think you do get more value with these Damaskos than with the slightly cheaper St1 steinhart. Mind, i love my steinharts but since i have my da373 (lume white dial variant), they barely see wrist time anymore.

DA36 (not my picture):

DA363 (not my picture either):

Da36 and da363 compared, fyi the outer ring on the da363 looks better in reality than on picture, as it is angled, the watch is just as legible and crisp as the da36:

Last edited by MrDagon007; October 24th, 2014 at 07:46.

I had the non premium version and it overhung big time on my 7" wrists, sold it within months of getting it. Beautiful watch but 44 mm, thin bezel and long straight lugs were not a good combination in this case. Good luck OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ack, cheers guys - I guess it's just not meant to be.

I appreciate the other suggestions, but unfortunately it's a case of me having 800EUR of love for one particular watch, rather than having 800EUR to spend on a pilot watch and finding the one I like best that fits.

On the bright side, y'all saved me 1200AUD that I probably shouldn't be spending on a watch right now anyway :$ I'll keep the Stowas in mind in future, though.

Thread Information