WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Which GMT?

• Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Orient Star GMT

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Something else <$1k

Votes: 8 36.4%

Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT or Orient Star GMT?

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Kangwan 
#1 ·
After reading the $800 GMT thread, I decided to add a GMT in my collection. The two that caught my eye were the Steinhart OV GMT and the Orient Star GMT.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Aesthetically, the Steinhart checks more of the boxes for me (especially like the 24 hr bezel and the legibility of the GMT hand) but I'm weighing it against the quality of Orient Stars that everybody points out. Tough choice for me. I'm also a sucker for blue dials. That said, I'm afraid it will be too much like my Skyfall AT and GS SBGA105. Otoh, I love both, so maybe a third one won't be so bad... o|

I won't be able to handle these watches in the metal before I buy, so please help me sort this out.

I also know these two watches have very different prices but that's not going to be the deciding factor. And no, I don't need 2 GMTs... :-d

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
lol so... guess we'll just have to take that on faith : P

Never handled the Orient, but to my eye it looks like a somewhat messy cross between an Omega Aqua Terra and some Grand Seiko...

I own (actually for the second time) the Steihnart, and although it obviously uses the classic Rolex 1655 design, it's a great design and a very solid and versatile watch. I'd recommend it whole-heartedly. Do it.

#4 · (Edited)
Far and away the Steinhart! I've owned watches by both and I'm way more impressed with the Steinhart (sold the Orient Star). But it was mostly aesthetics for me. Just didn't care for the Orient on my wrist but my OVM has become a regular in my rotation.

BTW....I just picked up a watch that can handle two time zones.....I'm not a huge fan of the GMT's so I went with a watch with a rotating inner bezel.....the Magrette Dual-Time PVD and I really like it. Very easy to read both time zones and it has great lume.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

Reactions: Sevenmack
#5 ·
BTW....I just picked up a watch that can handle two time zones.....I'm not a huge fan of the GMT's so I went with a watch with a rotating inner bezel.....the Magrette Dual-Time PVD and I really like it. Very easy to read both time zones and it has great lume.

View attachment 7564458
That's a really good looking watch. Love the dial and since I only have one PVD watch, I'm going to add this to the wish list.

Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: Astropin
#9 · (Edited)
These 2 both have ETA-2893, a really great movement.

All get about equal wrist time. The bezel on the Ward is uni-directional, The Seeker bezel is internal with a second crown and it has the surprisingly useful gas gauge.

All 3 are great GMTs.

Including these Seiko in the discussion because, even though they are kinetic quartz movements, they have one hugely useful function the automatics above do not have.....the regular 12 hour hand can be adjusted without stopping the movement which is fantastic for travelers and sailors like me when changing time zones. Just change the hour and the fourth GMT hand stays put, and the second hand keeps on truckin'. The autos have to be stopped to adjust and reset.

SUN025 GMT kinetic

SUN023 kinetic GMT

#13 ·
Love that shot!! |>|>

Including these Seiko in the discussion because, even though they are kinetic quartz movements, they have one hugely useful function the automatics above do not have.....the regular 12 hour hand can be adjusted without stopping the movement which is fantastic for travelers and sailors like me when changing time zones. Just change the hour and the fourth GMT hand stays put, and the second hand keeps on truckin'. The autos have to be stopped to adjust and reset.

SUN025 GMT kinetic

Great suggestion but I'm afraid it's a little too big for me to pull off...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.