Steinhausen Watchwinders-AVOID!

Thread: Steinhausen Watchwinders-AVOID!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Steinhausen Watchwinders-AVOID!

Ok, here's my tale of woe, short verson. About 14 months ago I got into buying automatic watches. Quickly figured out that I needed a winder (or now, four).
    Bought my first winder on-line from Steinhausen. Not terribly nicely fitted or finished, but it was at least serving a purpose. Noticed today that the thing has literally fallen apart. I haven't even opened the lid on it in probably three months, as the Orient diver and Vostock I have on it have not seen any use. I guess winding these two watches (the darn thing's entire reason for being) was just too much for it.
    Yes, I should have spent some money on a better one straight away--but who knew the hobby would grow so quickly?!
    Avoid these pieces of junk.
    DEAC
    Favourites: SeaGull 1963, CWC G10/98 British Army (issued) c. 1976, Omega Seamaster cal. 562 (1966), Seiko Orange Monster, Citizen Aqualand 20th Anniv., Smith's Astral, Rolex 1603 (1966), Glycine Combat 7 3898, Casio Pathfinder PAG80, Beuchat Access 550M, ORSA Sea Angler Lithium, Limes World Heritage, Omega f300 Chronometer (c. 1974), Rolex 6426 (1967), Komandirskie K-34 automatic, Suunto Vector, Citizen Ecozilla, Rado Purple Horse
    DEAC

Re: Steinhausen Watchwinders-AVOID!

I'm on my 2nd or 3rd one.
    They won't last forever but I'm not paying big money for a "name" multi-winder.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Tragic:
    I'm with you on the name-brand issue:
    I bought my next three from the same guys at watchwinderstore.com. They are pricier than Steinhausen but the quality is terrific. Plus, you're not paying for a 'name-brand', just the quality of the product. They often seem to have bonus give-aways with some purchases, too. A two-watch box in the same (very high quality) wood and finish, for instance.
    I can't recommend these pieces highly enough.
    Deac
    Favourites: SeaGull 1963, CWC G10/98 British Army (issued) c. 1976, Omega Seamaster cal. 562 (1966), Seiko Orange Monster, Citizen Aqualand 20th Anniv., Smith's Astral, Rolex 1603 (1966), Glycine Combat 7 3898, Casio Pathfinder PAG80, Beuchat Access 550M, ORSA Sea Angler Lithium, Limes World Heritage, Omega f300 Chronometer (c. 1974), Rolex 6426 (1967), Komandirskie K-34 automatic, Suunto Vector, Citizen Ecozilla, Rado Purple Horse
    DEAC

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mines been going strong for close to 3 years. Still works like new. If it quit tomorrow I wouldn't be disappointed as I feel I have got well more than my money's worth from it. Can't say the same for the OEEA winder I had that cost three times more that died a few days after it was out of warranty (2 years). Guess I ought to put up a post to avoid them.

DEAC:

Those look like nice winders for the dollars. I think I might try one.

thanx,

scott

my Steinhausen is still working after 2 years. It may be junk but the junk still be working. variable timing, rotates in both direction, birdseye maple finish. It be styling Bro!

My OEEA 6 watch winder is still going 2.5 years and counting.

Scott--you WON"T be disappointed.
    Yamahaki--I was okay with the Steinhausen until it fell apart. And I do mean literally. The round platform that actually rotates simply fell off it's mooring.
    Glad others have had good luck with the things--I haven't.
    Deac
    DEAC

Not a big fan of inexpensive anythings just don't have the luck of some others. Before I bought a winder I researched heavily mostly through different watch forums. I came across Primadyne softwind winders and decided on this brand. It is a single winder (they do have others as well) and fairly inexpensive - under $300.00. It is virtually inaudible and has kept the couple of watches I do have on time. I am very happy with the choice and I think only Orbita is a comparable equal but at the price point and noise level of the Orbita - Primadyne kills the competition. Given from most threads about winders, cheap seems to be the answer of many to the purchase of a winder. I don't think I'd keep a $$$$ watch on or in a cheap anything but I would keep it in something with good lasting value.

Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    Not a big fan of inexpensive anythings just don't have the luck of some others. Before I bought a winder I researched heavily mostly through different watch forums. I came across Primadyne softwind winders and decided on this brand. It is a single winder (they do have others as well) and fairly inexpensive - under $300.00. It is virtually inaudible and has kept the couple of watches I do have on time. I am very happy with the choice and I think only Orbita is a comparable equal but at the price point and noise level of the Orbita - Primadyne kills the competition. Given from most threads about winders, cheap seems to be the answer of many to the purchase of a winder. I don't think I'd keep a $$$$ watch on or in a cheap anything but I would keep it in something with good lasting value.
    My $$$$ watches don't seem to mind being in a cheap Steinhausen
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information