Stick or Twist?

Poll: Stick or Twist?

Thread: Stick or Twist?

Mac

Stick or Twist?

Yes it's fickle old Me again....however this really is a decision that needs making.
    I have been offered a BNIB Sub LV from my local AD for just over 17% off rrp! He'll even supply (& fit as and when I need Him to) a new black bezel insert for it, all in the same price!
    I would have to sell the SMP 2254.50 (with the non AC dial and "Bond" bracelet) in order to "top up" my existing budget, which is currently put aside for an Omega DeVille "Power Reserve".
    However, I am in two minds, I love the SMP (although in retrospect I think I prefer it on a "Speedy" style bracelet as the "Bond" is just a little too fancy for a diver IMO) but would prefer a Sub or PO on reflection.
    I am still unsure what to do. I don't want to pass up on a great deal like that and I do love the LV but don't want to regret selling the SMP and passing up on the new Deville Power Reserve that's on it's way.
    It's not so much the selling of the SMP but more the not being able to get the DeVille PR that bothers me.
    What to do eh! :confused1:
    Ideally I'd like both the Sub AND the Deville but the figures don't stack up. I can't put more cash than I already have saved towards the Deville into it unless I want to get divorced!!! ::)
    So, I either keep what I've got and resign myself to either getting a Sub a/ Never! or at best b/ A long, long time from now.
    Either way I would still have the Tag Carrera 64' retro as well.
    Is the Sub deal too good to pass up?
    Would YOU go for the Sub or stick with the SMP AND get the DeVille PR?
    Cheers.
    If you won't leave me alone, I'll find someone who will

Some thoughts to ponder

Interesting choices. I have an LV (staying with the green bezel), and an SMP. I had a De Ville GMT on the 'armadillo' bracelet. I sold off the De Ville because the bracelet didn't conform to my wrist, and the watch moved all over the place. It stayed in place using a leather strap, but I really bought the one I did because of the bracelet.

My SMP is a great all-round watch, and is the one I took on my last vacation (only wanted to take one watch).

The Sub LV is also a nice piece. Can't go wrong there. It doesn't fit under my shirt sleeves as well as the SMP though, mainly due to the way the deployant clasp sticks out slightly. But it's a joy to look at, and the fit/finish is excellent.

Any of the watches you mentioned would be nice to own, as a single piece. But I tend to think the De Ville line is more dressy than anything. Also, I've seen pre-owned De Villes all over the place, price-wise. You should be able to get 20-30% off MSRP on one.

If you can get a Sub LV with a spare (black) bezel, AND a discount, that sounds like a great deal to me. The LV will hold its value a bit more than the De Ville IMO, if that's important to you.

Not sure if this helps or confuses Most important of course, is to try on the pieces and see which one 'feels' right to you.

Good luck!
    -Jim

Mac

Re: Stick or Twist?

Thanks Jim,

I've tried them all on at some time and even owned a Sub (not LV) and a Sea Dweller (not DS) before. I have always regretted parting with the Sub and SD so this looks like a good deal to me!
    I love the maxi dial and even the green, although I'd probably end up with it being a black bezel.
    Providing I can sell my SMP I'm going for it.
    I think that I'd struggle to rotate 3 quality watches but two would be just perfect, enough to have a change but not too many to dilute the novelty or specialness of ownership. For me anyway.

Mac.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would probably look for pre-owned examples of both, or certainly the Rolex. Used LVs come up fairly frequently and you'll save more than 17% buying used.

Mac

Thanks for the advice and I'd agree but all the pre owned LV's I've seen are more than or the same as the £3k I'd pay for a BNIB (inc the black bezel insrt, fitted)

Plus most are in the CONUS and I'd get hammered for VAT when I had it shipped over to the UK!

How much is a bezel insert and fitting worth?

I would if I could though.

Mac.

Thread Information