Storing a watch, crown oput

Thread: Storing a watch, crown oput

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Storing a watch, crown oput

Just a quick question. Is it ok to store a watch for months with the crown out, to save the battery? I assume this is no problem for a hacking mechanical watch but don't know about a quartz.

lvt

Re: Storing a watch, crown oput

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Steve View Post
    Just a quick question. Is it ok to store a watch for months with the crown out, to save the battery? I assume this is no problem for a hacking mechanical watch but don't know about a quartz.
    It should be a good idea, supposed that your watch has this power saving feature, I have a quartz watch which continues to run regardless of the crown position.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

I used to do this now i just take the batteries out if i am not using them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't think storing a watch with the crown out accomplishes much. That I am aware of, pulling the crown out does not break the electrical connection between the battery and the watch. At least in looking at quartz movements, I don't see any electrical apparatus that insulates the crown in any way so that it could act as a switch. I think that in quartz watches that hack, pulling the crown out mechanically disengages or interferes with the drive train, but it doesn't stop the oscillator or stepper motor from running.

I could be wrong, and I am sure that as is usually the case, there are exceptions!

-T
    So what difference does it make, whether it's 20 minutes or 20 years, since neither amounts to the faintest echo of the tiniest whisper in the thunder of time.

It's ok to store a quartz watch with the crown out for several months. Whether it will save the battery really depends on the watch. It's a question that should be posed to the watch manufacturer. There is really no reason to store a mehcanical watch with the crown out.

Watch is no longer sealed if the crown is out, is it?

Over time moisture could get in there?

I also remember reading that the movement doesn't stop, it just stops ticking.

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Quote Originally Posted by NutellaBear View Post
    I don't think storing a watch with the crown out accomplishes much. That I am aware of, pulling the crown out does not break the electrical connection between the battery and the watch. At least in looking at quartz movements, I don't see any electrical apparatus that insulates the crown in any way so that it could act as a switch. I think that in quartz watches that hack, pulling the crown out mechanically disengages or interferes with the drive train, but it doesn't stop the oscillator or stepper motor from running.

I could be wrong, and I am sure that as is usually the case, there are exceptions!

-T
    With quartz movements, at least those I have seen the internals of, (most ETA and ISA designs, some Rondas, a few Seikos), pulling the crown to the setting position does one of two things:

1) On better, jeweled movements - it breaks contact between the coil and battery, thus stopping the motor. The oscilator continues to be powered, but most of the current consumption is from the motor. These pulling the crown out does save battery life. Or,

2) On cheaper non-jeweled movements - it blocks the rotation of the second hand gear, and stalls the motor. These are observable by a "twitchy" second hand when the stem is out. This method actually kills the battery faster, as a stalled electric motor draws more current.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeeshopman View Post

No, unless the seals are bad to begin with, even with screw down crowns.
    Last edited by lysanderxiii; November 29th, 2010 at 16:59.
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

I always thought this was SOP for storing quartz watches.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeeshopman View Post

I also remember reading that the movement doesn't stop, it just stops ticking.
    Watch is still sealed with the crown out. With a screw-down crown the crown is an additional seal (used to achieve the WR rating), but there is an additional seal, just like on a non-screw-down-crown watch (a notable exception are the russian Kommandirskie and Amfibia watches by Vostok).

Even if it were completely open, yes, the moisture could get in there. Or out. I hope you're not imagining moisture as having a particular liking to watch insides, wherein it rushes and accumulates as soon as it gets the smallest chance. You can achieve the ambient moisture level at most, which, in non-tropical climates at least, is not that bad. If however there already is moisture inside the watch (due, say, to a leaky gasket), you'll just gain because this would allow the moisture to get out.

If the watch isn't "ticking" , it has stopped, hasn't it? As stated above, the quartz oscillator and the circuits are still powered on, but the stepper motor (which moves the hands, and also uses the most energy) has no power. Some manufacturers (Ronda) call this the power-save function, it reduces the consumption by about 70%.
    Last edited by horrovac; November 29th, 2010 at 18:39.

Banned

I wouldn't hack a mechanical watch for storage, rather let it run down. Mainsprings get weaker over time - I believe this isn't such a problem nowadays because the alloys used are more stable, but earlier this was more pronounced. A spring under tension is more likely to get weaker. Hack your quartz watches (if they have power-save), but let your mechanicals just run down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information