A story of my visits to both Ben Bridge and Rolex AD
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: A story of my visits to both Ben Bridge and Rolex AD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A story of my visits to both Ben Bridge and Rolex AD

Hey Everyone - Happy Fourth of July!

I had arrived at Ben Bridge just after they opened and there were as yet no visitors. Also, it was July 3rd, so many folks were busy with other things for the Holiday and the parking lot at the mall definitely showed a large decrease of cars over normal.

They have a ‘slightly increased’ Rolex stock. No SS. We spent about a half hour talking watches.

My Tudor Pelagos LHD wants a brother, the Black Bay GMT. It is commonly known that the BB GMT is a difficult one to get. My Ben Bridge sales rep said the last one (their only one so far) they had received was many months back. As I have a good history with them, they “will see what we can do for you.” They were honest with me (always are) and said “it could be a few months to even a year – we just don’t know.”

I told them playing the waiting game was fine, as always.

They offered me a cup of icy cold water in a purple Ben Bridge cup and a purple BB pouch for carrying a second watch. The pouch is not that great as it is quite thin and has an inside-exposed metal snap where its backside could damage a watch if not wrapped. But they do show customer appreciation, always a nice gesture.

One thing I was told is that they had two Asian groups (vacationers obviously on “a quest”) come in looking to buy any and all SS Rolex and some other specific models.

Next it was a short trip a few blocks over to my Rolex AD. Again, the parking was amazingly available, as that huge shopping area is almost always packed beyond belief. People park and spend almost all day walking the old 1950’s-era shopping areas. It can be a real madhouse, with huge seas of people. (Old Town Scottsdale.)

The AD now has a somewhat increased stock. Many Daytona’s, all PM. I have been interested in the Skydweller but had concerns about its size on my 6.5-6.75 arm. Not my wrist, actually on the arm. (I cannot for the life of me, nor my AD, understand how a watch can be comfortably worn way up on the WRIST – literally on the back of the hand. A “real head-scratcher for me” said my sales rep.) But to each their own. Whatever works out best for the wearer.

The several SD they had were PM, on OF bands. There was only one with a bracelet, a WG. HEAVY. I was pleased that it fit me quite nicely. Perhaps my flat-ish arm bone is a plus? The SD is not large enough to appear obtrusive on me and the dial is easy to read. It is also quite an impressive bit of technology with the 9001 movement.

My doubts about it not being right for me were totally blown away. As always, a watch needs to be actually checked ON YOU to verify fit and appearance. Buying blind is often not good, as we have seen from some posts regarding buyer’s remorse.

They are now working on getting me the particular model and dial I want. They will “eventually” get me one and they know from a previous purchase that I have the patience to wait as long as it takes.

Within their cases they had an Explorer, Air King and an increased supply of YM’s. “The Explorer will most likely be gone before COB tonight.”

They have had to tell some customers that “To get a Daytona SS we currently have enough interest that you would have an eight-year wait.” Of course, that caused consternation with some of the potential buyers when the reasons had to be explained. But at least my AD is always up front and honest with everyone. They are what every AD SHOULD be. Brutally honest, total professionalism, no B.S.

They just had a surprise visit from the head of Rolex USA who brought along the rep for the entire Southwest U.S. This local AD has the second-best sales in the Southwest next to a Houston AD, who only beat them out by around 100 units for the last calendar year. The Houston area has a lot of Big Oil money and some other very major industry, which we do not have here. Our claim to fame is a large and ever-increasing population of well-to-do residents, plus a lot of tourism, which all helps explain the local AD success.

They, too, had the Asian groups looking to scarf up watches. Undoubtedly, they had to have been the same two groups that Ben Bridge had. The owner told me that one group knew nothing about watches and thought the DAY-DATES were “10-thousand-dollar watches.” He also got a chuckle when they asked if there were any Submare-EEENS.

My sales rep gave me a nice 2019-2020 catalog as a freebie and said that they would get me the SD – “eventually.” At least it won’t be an eight-year wait - I hope. Which will arrive first – the BB GMT or the SD? Heh.

My business with the Rolex AD goes back to 1987 and they always get me what I want, treat me well -- and I am FAR from a “prime client” with my few purchases.

You are truly fortunate if you have a quality AD to work for you.

As an added plus, my sales rep (and the owner) love for people to just stop in and talk watches.

vkalia and simonp67 like this.
    Rolex R150533 Oyster Perpetual Date
    Rolex 16613 Submariner
    Rolex 214270 Explorer 'full lume'
    Hamilton 992B Railway Special
    Tudor Pelagos LHD
    Miscellaneous fine quality Stopwatches
    "Life is too short not to have a Rolex"

Re: A story of my visits to both Ben Bridge and Rolex AD

I don't get it. Irrational exuberance? Humblebragging? If I went to two stores to get something and neither had it - nor any expectation of having it for a long time - I would move on to a replacement. Consumer activism should kick in for this situation.

Rolex buyers have proven themselves expendable and I take it personally. Take your whole story and replace "Rolex" with anything else and see how it plays out: Toyota, Chik-fil-A, Adidas, etc.

It is nice that they chat with you (What else are they gonna do? They have no product to sell) and give you trinkets. I'm just not sure why they exist anymore.
    Tick-tock in RoK GMT+9, no DST
    --
    Modern: Zenith El Primero Chronomaster, Piaget Upstream, Muhle Glashutte Seebataillon GMT, Eterna Madison Spherodrive, Vulcain Cricket 1951 Classic, Bell & Ross Space 3 GMT, Ralf Tech WRV 1977, Bulova Accutron Astronaut (c. 1966), Omega Speedmaster triple date, Sinn 556 Anniversary LE, Glycine Airman SST-12, Pulsar Date II (c. 1971), G-Shock Rangeman 9400, Vostok Classica
    Seiko: Grand Seiko SBGT035, Credor Node GCAT996, Grand Seiko 5641-7000 (1972), "Ashtray Tuna" 7C46-6009 (1987), 6139-7068 "Blue Eye" chrono (1974), Bell-Matic 4006-7012 (1971), King Quartz 9223-5000 (1981), Seikomatic J13044 (1963), 6119-6400 UFO (1974), 6309-7290 (1987), Silverwave 8221-5020 (1980), Majesta 9063-5020 (1984).

TL;DR: You went to two Rolex ADs and they didn't have the sports SS models, just like all the other Rolex ADs throughout the world
    jsohal likes this.
    the five stages of a watch flipper
    infatuation
    appropriation acquisition justification resale

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Random perspective: this is how an US AD and local perceive tourists? The irony is the # of posts I've read about people complaining out of state, random phone called and foreign ADs won't sell to them.
    Zhanming057 and rfortson like this.

Useless thread.
    My collection changes so often I got tired of redoing my signature

Quote Originally Posted by City74 View Post
    Useless thread.
    I am glad someone died and made you the arbiter of what is appropriate. Do you have a list of approved posts that you can share, so that we know to make sure we dont trouble your highness with anything that falls below your standards?
    mak1277, asfalloth and Rolexplorer like this.
    Core: ALS 1815 Up/Down, AP RO, Breguet Marine, Blancpain FF MilSpec, JLC Master Geo, GO Panomatic, Rolex BLRO, Panerai 688, Rolex Exp2 polar, Cartier Santos XL ADLC, Zenith El Primero tricolor, [Empty Slot]
    Secondary: Oris Brashear chrono, Oris 65/42 blue, Oris 65/42 green, Oris 65/40mm, Oris 65 bronze, Rado Capt Cook LE, Seiko Prospex Padi, Doxa 1200T Pro
    Others
    :Tissot T-Touch Expert, Swatch S51, Seagull 1963, Sturmanskie Yuri Gagarin, Fortis Marine Master, G-Shock GMW-B500
    FS: Seiko Orange Monster Gen2, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard, Squale Milsub
    Gone: Tudor Chrono Heritage, Hamilton Khaki Field, B&R03-92, Seiko SKX007, Orient Sun&Moon, Seagull M172S, Rado Vintage Diver, Hamilton Pan Europ, Orient Mako, Meistersinger Pangaea, IWC Aquatimer, PAM 24, JR Aquascope, Tudor BB Black, Longines Legend Diver, PAM 241, Bernhardt Anchor3, WUS GMT watch, Damasko DB2, Helson Shark Diver, Seiko 5, Ventus Mori Brass, Glycine Airman, Eterna Kon-Tiki, Zelos Gallant, Sinn 103 A sa B

Quote Originally Posted by Hamstur View Post
    Random perspective: this is how an US AD and local perceive tourists? The irony is the # of posts I've read about people complaining out of state, random phone called and foreign ADs won't sell to them.
    Or the people who talk about going and buying watches when they are in Europe or Asia...
    LosAngelesTimer likes this.
    Core: ALS 1815 Up/Down, AP RO, Breguet Marine, Blancpain FF MilSpec, JLC Master Geo, GO Panomatic, Rolex BLRO, Panerai 688, Rolex Exp2 polar, Cartier Santos XL ADLC, Zenith El Primero tricolor, [Empty Slot]
    Secondary: Oris Brashear chrono, Oris 65/42 blue, Oris 65/42 green, Oris 65/40mm, Oris 65 bronze, Rado Capt Cook LE, Seiko Prospex Padi, Doxa 1200T Pro
    Others
    :Tissot T-Touch Expert, Swatch S51, Seagull 1963, Sturmanskie Yuri Gagarin, Fortis Marine Master, G-Shock GMW-B500
    FS: Seiko Orange Monster Gen2, Gruppo Gamma Vanguard, Squale Milsub
    Gone: Tudor Chrono Heritage, Hamilton Khaki Field, B&R03-92, Seiko SKX007, Orient Sun&Moon, Seagull M172S, Rado Vintage Diver, Hamilton Pan Europ, Orient Mako, Meistersinger Pangaea, IWC Aquatimer, PAM 24, JR Aquascope, Tudor BB Black, Longines Legend Diver, PAM 241, Bernhardt Anchor3, WUS GMT watch, Damasko DB2, Helson Shark Diver, Seiko 5, Ventus Mori Brass, Glycine Airman, Eterna Kon-Tiki, Zelos Gallant, Sinn 103 A sa B

Quote Originally Posted by vkalia View Post
    I am glad someone died and made you the arbiter of what is appropriate. Do you have a list of approved posts that you can share, so that we know to make sure we dont trouble your highness with anything that falls below your standards?
    The OP is in somewhat poor taste. Making fun of tourists because they don't know what the Rolex market is like or for their poor grasp of a second language is a low blow.

If I have to wait eight years for buying anything, I'd move on. I don't fault Rolex for going with their strategy of starving the market, it's just not something I would ever support.
    asfalloth and kepa like this.

It's a forum for discussing and sharing experiences. It was an enjoyable change of pace from "Which _____ for under ____ should I buy?"

I've been to several dealers lately on travels (Ben Bridge in Seattle, among others) and it's the same story, although if you're REAL lucky you might find an OP or two : )

Thankfully the only Rolex I really want is a 114270 so I just need to find the right piece on the secondary market
    LosAngelesTimer likes this.
    Current:
    Omega, Hamilton, Seiko x3, Orient, Suunto, G-Shock

Coming Soon:
    Oak & Oscar

Quote Originally Posted by City74 View Post
    Useless thread.
    Funny, I found it a more entertaining read than a lot of the posts on this forum. pictures would've helped but we can't have everything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information