STOWA service - Beware!
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: STOWA service - Beware!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

STOWA service - Beware!

I have owned a STOWA Antea 365 watch for the past 4/5 years. It's a great looking and robusttimepiece, notwithstanding that it used to lose about 90 seconds a day. Recently I got round to having it serviced. The quote was not cheap - at almost exactly £200! However, about £20+ of this was for a new strap. The service took ages, a couple ofmonths, but I was delighted with the nearly as-new appearance of the watch,EXCEPT, they had fitted a completely different, cheap and nasty bog-standard black strap -nothing like the original padded clasp strap, which was lovely. Ihave seen such straps retail for sale for £1.99. I have now requested recompense three times,and the normally responsive and helpful service team will not reply, hopingI'll go away. Having paid in advance and there being no retailer involved, I ampowerless to do anything except try to blacken their name for their duplicitous and shoddy service. For balance I should add that the timekeeping has improved. On the downside, a further £20+ was charged for return mailing - a huge Fed-Ex box containing a heavy Stowa watch catalogue - their marketing at my expense! It cost me a fraction of that to send it securely to them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: STOWA service - Beware!

Hard to tell the quality of the strap from a photo but what did you expect for $20 ? Is it Stowa branded ? Even Hamilton charges $100 for their leather straps.

You paying for shipping is completely normal and i doubt you paid anymore for them to ship a catalog because from my experience with Fed ex is they charge a flat fee for those boxes meaning it doesn't get any cheaper if you use a smaller box. Again this is my experience in USA/Canada.

If they're not answering emails i would call them.
    rfortson and Tycho Brahe like this.

Hi Johnny,
    You make a fair point about the strap, except the one Stowa fitted as a replacement, which I photographed, was nothing like the quality or style of the strap which was originally supplied, and which I could have reasonably expected.
    The original looked like this pictured:Name:  Original strap.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  45.0 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sponsor / Moderator

Dear Ishkem,

thanks for post. We wil try to figure out whats happen. Please mail me directly who was in contact with you and when you mailed us 3 times- i will check and let you know whats happen.
    Leatherstrap
    The latherstrapis the the 24.- Euro leatherstrap which is basicly on some of our waches, the quality is good. We also have straps you can choose for Euro 80.- in handstitched or for 160.- Euro in crocoleather. It is always up to the customer, but this 24.- Euro strap is good quality and of course you can buy straps for much less, there are so many strap around. Maybe you find a cheaper strap with a first view better look, i don´t say this is impossible. But the quality for a long term use is always good with STOWA straps.
    Service/maintenance of movement
    The service costs from STOWA are 147.- euro net for a movement maintenance and this is a normal price - a bit less than from the most of the other competitors like Sinn watches charge. We have "marketprices" for such works. It is not possible to make this work cheaper in the same quality level and if you search you will find that this prices are absolutely in the relation to others. If you compare to others please have a look at the details. Here are our servicedetails and the parts we change if we maintenance a movement - for example ETA 2824-2. We are working with ETA based instructions and original spareparts from ETA. Please feel free to contact us always under [email protected] and normaly we give answer within 24 hours- this is the STOWA reputation which is excellent out there. Maybe in your case we have had some problems - so thats the reason i ask you to reply your mails you have send to us, if you like post directly to me: [email protected]

Many thanks!

With best regards from the Black Forest.

Jörg Schauer
    CEO STOWA

Servicepackage 1. Technic.
    MOVEMENT. MAINTENANCE.
    - complete revision of the movement (disassembling, cleaning, lubricating, assembling and adjusting the movement, exchange of all technically necessary parts)
    - changing all seals (glass and case seals, crown replacement if technically necessary)
    - cleaning of the case in the ultrasonic bath
    - cleaning of the metal strap in the ultrasonic bath and, if necessary, small repairs (except the buckle, should it be replaced, we will make you a offer)

Euro 147 net price

Servicepackage 1. Optical. (not mandatory)
    CASE. REFRESHING.
    When we refresh your case, all parts of the case are newly polished, newly brushed or replaced with new parts. New sapphire glasses are included in the price. (The price listed below is only valid in conjunction with a simultaneous revision of the movement. The surcharge without a factory revision is approx. 66.- to 100.- Euro net price, depending on the model)

Euro 160 net price

New strap. Optical.
    Maybe you would like to replace the strap on your watch. Here are the basic offers.
    If you would like to see all our straps you can have a look into our Onlineshop.

Fliegerstrap old style, Euro 20,17 net price
    black or brown with rivets

Leatherstrap basic, Euro 20,17 net price
    black or brown without rivets

Leatherstrap handstitched, Euro 67,23 net price

Crocostrap, Euro 134,45 net price

Last edited by stuffler,mike; September 18th, 2018 at 15:46.
    ffritz, u2bdet, adg31 and 16 others like this.

Dear Jorg,
    Thank you for your swift and fulsome response; I am only sorry it took a public complaint to get your company's attention. Incidentally, my three emails were: two to Josip in your service department, and one for your personal attention. None were acknowledged.
    Please note, I was not criticising the price of the service, nor the quality. In fact I was careful to add that both the appearance and the timekeeping were improved.
    What really annoyed me was being offered a replacement strap - no choice offered - which bore no resemblance to the one originally fitted - and which I would never have chosen, irrespective of price. It lets down the whole watch.
    I shall take up your offer to email you directly, in the hope that we can resolve this amicably.
    Thank you for your attention.

Stop Press! Jorg's intervention is working wonders. By some strange coincidence, Josip, in Stowa's service department, has woken up and just this minute emailed offering me a refund for the poor replacement strap. He excuses the lack of response to my email of 28th August to having been 'very busy' - and 'dealing with too many things at the same time'. His responses prior to payment were lightening quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Schauer View Post
    Dear Ishkem,

thanks for post. We wil try to figure out whats happen. Please mail me directly who was in contact with you and when you mailed us 3 times- i will check and let you know whats happen.
    Leatherstrap
    The latherstrapis the the 24.- Euro leatherstrap which is basicly on some of our waches, the quality is good. We also have straps you can choose for Euro 80.- in handstitched or for 160.- Euro in crocoleather. It is always up to the customer, but this 24.- Euro strap is good quality and of course you can buy straps for much less, there are so many strap around. Maybe you find a cheaper strap with a first view better look, i don´t say this is impossible. But the quality for a long term use is always good with STOWA straps.
    Service/maintenance of movement
    The service costs from STOWA are 147.- euro net for a movement maintenance and this is a normal price - a bit less than from the most of the other competitors like Sinn watches charge. We have "marketprices" for such works. It is not possible to make this work cheaper in the same quality level and if you search you will find that this prices are absolutely in the relation to others. If you compare to others please have a look at the details. Here are our servicedetails and the parts we change if we maintenance a movement - for example ETA 2824-2. We are working with ETA based instructions and original spareparts from ETA. Please feel free to contact us always under [email protected] and normaly we give answer within 24 hours- this is the STOWA reputation which is excellent out there. Maybe in your case we have had some problems - so thats the reason i ask you to reply your mails you have send to us, if you like post directly to me: [email protected]

Many thanks!

With best regards from the Black Forest.

Jörg Schauer
    CEO STOWA

Servicepackage 1. Technic.
    MOVEMENT. MAINTENANCE.
    - complete revision of the movement (disassembling, cleaning, lubricating, assembling and adjusting the movement, exchange of all technically necessary parts)
    - changing all seals (glass and case seals, crown replacement if technically necessary)
    - cleaning of the case in the ultrasonic bath
    - cleaning of the metal strap in the ultrasonic bath and, if necessary, small repairs (except the buckle, should it be replaced, we will make you a offer)

Euro 147 net price

Servicepackage 1. Optical. (not mandatory)
    CASE. REFRESHING.
    When we refresh your case, all parts of the case are newly polished, newly brushed or replaced with new parts. New sapphire glasses are included in the price. (The price listed below is only valid in conjunction with a simultaneous revision of the movement. The surcharge without a factory revision is approx. 66.- to 100.- Euro net price, depending on the model)

Euro 160 net price

New strap. Optical.
    Maybe you would like to replace the strap on your watch. Here are the basic offers.
    If you would like to see all our straps you can have a look into our Onlineshop.

Fliegerstrap old style, Euro 20,17 net price
    black or brown with rivets

Leatherstrap basic, Euro 20,17 net price

Leatherstrap handstitched, Euro 67,23 net price

Crocostrap, Euro 134,45 net price

Now that is what I'd call great customer service from a CEO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; September 18th, 2018 at 15:48.
    ffritz, trf2271, rfortson and 1 others like this.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

You will not suceed in blacken their name for their duplicitous and shoddy service, at least not on Watchuseek. And posting your first post here on WUS with that explicit intention is.....(fill in yourself).....
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

I agree with Herr Schauer. The service cost is very reasonable.
    chosenhandle, ffritz and trf2271 like this.

Read my post. I have no quibble with the service charge. Reference to the service charge is a red herring.
    If, on the other hand, you think that being offered a 'replacement' strap only to find a greatly inferior one has been fitted, and then all your emails ignored for nearly a month is acceptable, then please say so.
    If you had a Ferrari would you be happy with Ford wheels?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information