Thread: Stowa and Sinn in ranges

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stowa and Sinn in ranges

The Swatch-group categorizes their brands in the following ranges:
    1 basic eg. Swatch
    2 middle eg. Tissot, Mido, Hamilton
    3 high eg. Longines
    4 prestige & luxury eg. Omega

In what range would you place Stowa and Sinn when you take a look at quality, details and finish (not price!!)?

My opinion is:
    Stowa: 2
    Sinn: 3 or 4

stuffler,mike

Re: Stowa and Sinn in ranges

You should not compare Stowa and Sinn, compare Sinn and Schauer ! Schauer would be 3 at least, but you are right with Stowa: 2, however I'd rate the LE AO and MO a 3.

I don't want to compare Stowa and Sinn, I just want to rank them (independently). Just like the Swatch and Omega brands.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd say:
    Stowa = 2
    Sinn = 3

Just for fun:
    Doxa = 3
    MKII = 2
    Muhle = 3
    Fortis = 2
    Hamilton = 2
    Bell & Ross = 3
    Glycine = 2

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by blauweboon View Post
    I don't want to compare Stowa and Sinn, I just want to rank them (independently). Just like the Swatch and Omega brands.
    What is ranking other then comparing based on quality, finish, overall appearance, innovative techniques and rank them
    What is a ranking based on if not comparing ?

Misschien heb je een andere oplossing maar dit is die van mij. Groetjes.

Stowa ranks/rates/compares to a Tissot???

I'd have them at 3+

I have seen only one personally, in a local watch seller, used. But based on extensive reports on WUS and many many pics, and reviews, i'd have to say Stowa compares more equally to an Omega. The only thing Omega has over them is brand recognition.

My opinion.
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 45mm
    Oris Williams F1 Chronograph
    Citizen Meccanico NP3010-34A
    Citizen Aqualand 20th Aniv. Eco-Drive
    G-Shock G2300B-1V
    Luminox 3001

Quote Originally Posted by dtmartin46 View Post
    Stowa ranks/rates/compares to a Tissot???

I'd have them at 3+

I have seen only one personally, in a local watch seller, used. But based on extensive reports on WUS and many many pics, and reviews, i'd have to say Stowa compares more equally to an Omega. The only thing Omega has over them is brand recognition.

My opinion.
    Owning both an Omega Bond Seamaster and a Stowa Airman, I wouldn't put them in the same class. Omega has a lot more than brand recognition over Stowa (e.g., movements, case quality, bracelets).

I'd move Stowa from a 2 to a 3, though. I certainly don't think Stowa's in the same class as Tissot and Hamilton. But even if Stowa and Sinn are both 3s, I'd put Sinn just a hair higher.

I own Oris, Hamiltons, Fortis and of course a Stowa. Though the category 2 watches are nice, Stowa does not belong in it. I'd rate the Stowa as 3 comfortably along with Sinn.

Banned

Is there really a difference in fit, finish and details between the watches you mention?
    In the movement used, yes! But the rest?
    IMO, the watches are being done by machines and should be very similar, if not identical, unless the machines are programmed to be less precise and accurate for the "lower" ranges!
    Just a thought!
    IMO the main difference is in the visual design, the more expensive the more fine details and luxurious look.
    I can draw a parallel to the VW group, where Skoda is considered to be the "lowest" and Audi the "highest", despite sharing the floorpans, engines, gearboxes, and lots and lots of other components. The precision in assembly (by Robots) is the same.
    The difference is more in the Design/visual look (and price), and this tricks the customer to believe one brand is better than the other. And happily pay more for it!

Good point. Even in the companies mentioned above, they each have a wide range of timepieces that precludes one from saying that *all* the watches from one company fall into one particular "class." As such, I don't think it is fair to rank companies, but rather, one should compare the individual timepieces against similarly styled ones. After all they all tell time, the only difference is how they look.

What seems to be happening is that people are ranking "tiers" of companies according to their average price range, and that metric has little relation to the actual quality of their individual timepieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    Is there really a difference in fit, finish and details between the watches you mention?
    In the movement used, yes! But the rest?
    IMO, the watches are being done by machines and should be very similar, if not identical, unless the machines are programmed to be less precise and accurate for the "lower" ranges!
    Just a thought!
    IMO the main difference is in the visual design, the more expensive the more fine details and luxurious look.
    I can draw a parallel to the VW group, where Skoda is considered to be the "lowest" and Audi the "highest", despite sharing the floorpans, engines, gearboxes, and lots and lots of other components. The precision in assembly (by Robots) is the same.
    The difference is more in the Design/visual look (and price), and this tricks the customer to believe one brand is better than the other. And happily pay more for it!
    Lots of dive watches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information