STP-11 Movement
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: STP-11 Movement

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

STP-11 Movement

Does anyone have a watch with this movement and how does it stack up to Eta or Sellita?

TIA

Re: STP-11 Movement

Nothing wrong with them. Just another ETA knock off. They are actually quite dependable.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Very very similar. Rotor noise is a bit loud and not the nicest sound, but you don't hear it that often because it doesn't free spin like a Miyota. The 3-13 has a swan neck regulator which you won't find in the ETA or Sellita, but I don't think those have appeared outside of the new Zodiac models yet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've used them in 650 watches to date, so we've got a reasonably large enough number to form an opinion about them.

The good - On paper, they offer a fantastic bang-for-the-buck proposition. Purchased in bulk, they cost slightly less than a standard grade ETA 2824-2 or Sellita SW200, but have a longer power reserve, adjusted to 5 positions, have incabloc shock protection, the higher grade of nivarox hairspring, and are beautifully finished. They compare to a top-grade ETA 2824-2.

The bad - we found a higher defect rate with them, around 10% on the 650, but at times it seemed like it might have been higher (we made two batches, one 300 pieces production, and one 350 piece production, the 10% is an aggregate figure).

To put that 10% number into context, I've had several watchmakers tell me they expect a 5%-6% defect rate with ETA's, and slightly higher with Sellita's, but our defect rate with Japanese movements is close to 0% - we replace maybe 1 in 500, if that, so a rate of 0.2%, at most.

It seems that they are most likely a "Swiss" movement which starts out with some portion of Chinese production. The good units perform very well, but the bad ones we've found had some issues which were fairly surprising.

Before buying a watch with an STP, I'd just make sure I had confidence in the seller's post-sale support, in the event I need to return the watch under warranty. It wouldn't hurt to inquire about the company's testing/QC pre-shipment. Once we discovered the defect rate, we made it a point to test them more thoroughly during QC.

One thing which may be worth consideration - long term maintenance. Like most entry level movements, including the ETA's and Sellita's, it will almost certainly be cheaper to replace the movement than to have it serviced by a watchmaker in 5-7 years, but whereas most parts suppliers currently stock ETA's or Sellita's, I've yet to see any stock replacement STP's.

The good news is that an ETA or Sellita is a drop-in replacement, but assuming your STP was a unit which performed well, you'd be getting an ETA/Sellita with a lower power reserve, adjusted to fewer positions, etc - in other words, you'd be dropping in a movement which isn't "as good".

Lastly - as STP is owned by Fossil, my observation of the anecdotal experience people report suggests that Fossil brands (primarily Zodiac) may be getting the better quality units, whereas non-Fossil brands which buy the movements may be getting the lesser quality units. So again, it's important that companies using them do good testing before shipping them to customers.
    This used to be my signature, but now it's just this generic drawing of a watch.

I'm not on social media 24/7. It’s not a good way to reach me for support, or for me to deliver it. In order to best serve my customers, and manage my time effectively, I have turned private messaging off. The best way to reach me is using the support page of my website. Thanks for understanding.

There is a nice article about the STP movement factory,

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/visit-s...up-answer-eta/
    Jcp311 likes this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Interesting. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by docvail View Post
    I've used them in 650 watches to date, so we've got a reasonably large enough number to form an opinion about them.

The good - On paper, they offer a fantastic bang-for-the-buck proposition. Purchased in bulk, they cost slightly less than a standard grade ETA 2824-2 or Sellita SW200, but have a longer power reserve, adjusted to 5 positions, have incabloc shock protection, the higher grade of nivarox hairspring, and are beautifully finished. They compare to a top-grade ETA 2824-2.

The bad - we found a higher defect rate with them, around 10% on the 650, but at times it seemed like it might have been higher (we made two batches, one 300 pieces production, and one 350 piece production, the 10% is an aggregate figure).

To put that 10% number into context, I've had several watchmakers tell me they expect a 5%-6% defect rate with ETA's, and slightly higher with Sellita's, but our defect rate with Japanese movements is close to 0% - we replace maybe 1 in 500, if that, so a rate of 0.2%, at most.

It seems that they are most likely a "Swiss" movement which starts out with some portion of Chinese production. The good units perform very well, but the bad ones we've found had some issues which were fairly surprising.

Before buying a watch with an STP, I'd just make sure I had confidence in the seller's post-sale support, in the event I need to return the watch under warranty. It wouldn't hurt to inquire about the company's testing/QC pre-shipment. Once we discovered the defect rate, we made it a point to test them more thoroughly during QC.

One thing which may be worth consideration - long term maintenance. Like most entry level movements, including the ETA's and Sellita's, it will almost certainly be cheaper to replace the movement than to have it serviced by a watchmaker in 5-7 years, but whereas most parts suppliers currently stock ETA's or Sellita's, I've yet to see any stock replacement STP's.

The good news is that an ETA or Sellita is a drop-in replacement, but assuming your STP was a unit which performed well, you'd be getting an ETA/Sellita with a lower power reserve, adjusted to fewer positions, etc - in other words, you'd be dropping in a movement which isn't "as good".

Lastly - as STP is owned by Fossil, my observation of the anecdotal experience people report suggests that Fossil brands (primarily Zodiac) may be getting the better quality units, whereas non-Fossil brands which buy the movements may be getting the lesser quality units. So again, it's important that companies using them do good testing before shipping them to customers.
    Truly very interesting hearing an experienced perspective------Thank you!
    docvail likes this.

Great info on this thread. Thanks.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by docvail View Post
    I've used them in 650 watches to date, so we've got a reasonably large enough number to form an opinion about them......
    Most useful post by far, in a long time, around here...
    Jcp311 likes this.

As someone with a Zodiac hoping that my STP 1-11 isn't isn't a lemon, I can't abide by the theory (which I've heard before) that STP gives the "better" 1-11 movements to Zodiac and those that buy in bulk get everything else.
    How would that even work? You either have decent QC or you don't. Unless you have differing levels of QC for different batches? Sounds crazy.
    I used to work in a biomedical manufacturer and the same product got the same QC regardless of the market or the customer.

Are the STPs sold in batches with "Swiss Made" on them? they'd have to be which means they're all coming from the STP Swiss facility which means that even though there are absolutely Chinese parts in these things, I can't see how Zodiac gets better ones unless they somehow get a "Top" grade and batch buyers get an "Elabore" or "Standard" grade.
    Last edited by Earthjade; February 24th, 2019 at 21:59.
    Seulement, il faut du temps pour être heureux. Beaucoup de temps. Le bonheur lui aussi est une longue patience. - Only, it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information