Strange auto accuracy change
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sticky

Thread: Strange auto accuracy change

Confused Strange auto accuracy change

Could anyone please explain whats going on here? I got Tissot ETA 2824-2 movement. At first it was about 10 sec/day fast. After a month it s now about 1 sec slow after 2,5 days. Equal wear style all the time... about 1 day full wear and 2 days sitting still but I move it for about 5 mins before the night so the watch doesn t stop. If the opinion that the watch "wears in" is a myth how is it possible? Hope it s not some movement damage or fail?

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Re: Strange auto accuracy change

Quote Originally Posted by Black8ball View Post
    Could anyone please explain whats going on here? I got Tissot ETA 2824-2 movement. At first it was about 10 sec/day fast. After a month it s now about 1 sec slow after 2,5 days. Equal wear style all the time... about 1 day full wear and 2 days sitting still but I move it for about 5 mins before the night so the watch doesn t stop. If the opinion that the watch "wears in" is a myth how is it possible? Hope it s not some movement damage or fail?
    "Equal wear style"? Are you sure?

When you wore it, did you make the the exact same movements for the exact same durations each and every day? Did you hold it in the exact same orientations for the same amount of time. How did you ensure that?

An eleven second shift in rate is quite possible with a Standard and even a Elabore, just from variation in wearing. If minor variations like that irk you, you need to switch to cheaper quartz or more expensive chronometers.
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii View Post
    "Equal wear style"? Are you sure?
    The thing is the shift difference isn t changing according to wear style that much in this case... At start it was about 10 sec fast a day no matter if I took out the watch in active day or left it still for 2 days... now its the same thing but 1 sec slow in 2,5 days... If more hand movement is better it doesn t effect accuracy that much because last 4 days haven t used the watch... just moved it 5 mins before the night and have lost less than 2 sec... at start still stand gain would be at least 40 sec... That s why I am surprized....
    Last edited by Black8ball; July 28th, 2014 at 13:17.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm not convinced that bedding in is such a myth. I know some people are like me and believe in it but others are non believers. Whatever the truth I think the variation is small enough to give the watch the benefit of the doubt.
    little big feather likes this.

In my view long term stand still accuracy change from +10 to -1 / a day is quite considerable but so far haven t found logic explanation why... ''wearing in'' is the only answer that comes to my mind... any other ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    I'm not convinced that bedding in is such a myth. I know some people are like me and believe in it but others are non believers. Whatever the truth I think the variation is small enough to give the watch the benefit of the doubt.

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Was the watch 'fresh' or was it new old stock from a grey market dealer? I have had NOS watches in the past that exhibited exactly the behavior you describe due to lubricants that had been sitting static in the watch for a few years. After about two weeks of continuous operation that allowed the lubricants to be dispersed again, my most recent NOS watch (on the shelf about 4 years and running fast when I got it) corrected itself by eight seconds per day.
    Last edited by BrentYYC; July 29th, 2014 at 19:27.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentYYC View Post
    Was the watch 'fresh' or was it new old stock from a grey market dealer?
    Bought the watch from non authorized online store premiumwatches.com suggested by some forum users but it came with valid dealer signed documents... Actually sitting too long might be quite possible and that s why people talk about "wearing in"... If it s the case then ETA 2824-2 is very accurate...

Thread Information