Strange halos on the anti-reflective coating
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By watchma
  • 1 Post By Stormvision

Thread: Strange halos on the anti-reflective coating

Strange halos on the anti-reflective coating

Hi guys! Is someone able to explain this strange green halo on my Nautica, running throughout the edge of the glass, apart from 7 to 9 and a half? Something went wrong with the AR coating?

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  162.2 KB

To be honest, the watch's official specs don't even mention an anti-reflective coating, but I think that the blue color on the glass is precisely that, am I right?

Here is a close-up:

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  88.0 KB

Of course the effect is visible only at certain angles, not always:

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  142.3 KB

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Roberto

Re: Strange halos on the anti-reflective coating

Can you see that in a evenly lit room? (Or in a white box.)

That sort of looks like some form of moisture or glue. (Or some holy power that your watch gained.)

(Or some holy power that your watch gained.)
    Fingers crossed that it wears away to an antireflective Jesus or Mother Theresa. Could be big bucks.

Does it go away if you hit it with a hair dryer?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Is it outer AR? Inner? Both? Can you tell what surface the issue is on?

I've seen similar reactions with coatings on both camera lenses and sunglasses when various improper chemical cleaners were used on them.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by NinthSphere View Post
    Does it go away if you hit it with a hair dryer?
    Wouldn't he be better turning said hairdryer on and directing it gently at the watch ?

Can you tell what surface the issue is on?
    This , cos we can't tell via the photo's so far, you may well be able to do so though, in the flesh.

Thanks for your replies

Unfortunately I don't have a white box, I only tried in day light and artificial light, and in both cases the halo is there. I tried with the hair dryer, no visible changes, apart from the dent in the glass when I hit it... joking

According to all Nautica specs I could find, this watch shouldn't have the AR coating, but it clearly does. Inner or outer, I can't tell.

What I can tell is that the problem seems on the internal side of the glass. I've always used water and soap to clean the watch, I went to swim with it a couple of times, but the water never came in.

Oddly enough, I just found the same model for sale in my very town, and it seems to have the same problem (can't be sure due to low photo quality, but I just enquired the owner). Here the picture:

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  139.9 KB

This is from another website (brand new watch) but it's hard to tell if it has the halo problem or it's just a reflection:

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  158.0 KB

It's probably under coated but that's a guess. Off gassing of glue used on dial perhaps, remove movement and clean gently, while apart inspect battery, it may be gassing as well before it leaks. Remove movement and clean inside of crystal with gentle pressure as you don't want to pop it out, they only go in once, otherwise a new seal and repressing of crystal will be required. Replace battery with new one.

If still under warranty, not your problem

Let us know how it went.

Peace,
    Preston

Sent from the inner reaches of my mind.
    Omega, Tissot, Panerai, G-Shock, Timex, Swiss Army watch fan

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Stormvision View Post

This is from another website (brand new watch) but it's hard to tell if it has the halo problem or it's just a reflection:

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  158.0 KB

Just FYI (and I'm not sure you know or not from the first post) , the blue you see (more at the 12oclock position in this photo, but also to a lesser extent at the outer periphery in the 6 oclock position) IS definitely the AR coating, it will impart a odd blue tinge to any reflected light - and can just look blue anyway. depends on the lighting particular orientation to that lighting.
    Just get a light bulb to reflect in it and you'll see the blue , if you move the watch slowly in relation to the light you can inspect the whole surface for flaws in the AR....., and from this you should also be able to determine whether the AR is on the outer or inner surface.

If it's an outer AR then it can definitely be affected (wholely or partially) by cleaning or other influences.
    Last edited by watchma; October 30th, 2013 at 00:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    It's probably under coated but that's a guess. Off gassing of glue used on dial perhaps, remove movement and clean gently, while apart inspect battery, it may be gassing as well before it leaks. Remove movement and clean inside of crystal with gentle pressure as you don't want to pop it out, they only go in once, otherwise a new seal and repressing of crystal will be required. Replace battery with new one.

If still under warranty, not your problem

Let us know how it went.
    The battery has just been replaced last month, and the watch has been tested and certified for water resistance (it has now a red seal on the back, for warranty, so I can't open it by myself). However I just found that the Nautica technical assistance in my city is half a mile from my home, so I'm going to bring it to them directly :) Unfortunately the watch is not under warranty, it has 3 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by watchma View Post
    Just FYI (and I'm not sure you know or not from the first post) , the blue you see (more at the 12oclock position in this photo, but also to a lesser extent at the outer periphery in the 6 oclock position) IS definitely the AR coating, it will impart a odd blue tinge to any reflected light - and can just look blue anyway. depends on the lighting particular orientation to that lighting.
    Just get a light bulb to reflect in it and you'll see the blue , if you move the watch slowly in relation to the light you can inspect the whole surface for flaws in the AR....., and from this you should also be able to determine whether the AR is on the outer or inner surface.

If it's an outer AR then it can definitely be affected (wholely or partially) by cleaning or other influences.
    Thank you, I'm aware that the blue tint is from the AR coating, is the green one that worries me I tried to inspect the surface with a light, and I'm enough confident that the problem comes from the inner side of the crystal.
    watchma likes this.

Thread Information