Stuck at the Collecting Crossroads
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Stuck at the Collecting Crossroads

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Stuck at the Collecting Crossroads

Disclaimer: Major first world problem below, I'm self aware.

Been collecting about 6 years now, averaging less than 1 purchase per year and sticking at the max $500 level with some affordables favorites (current collection summary below). In the last year my financial situation has improved substantially to the point where the luxury market would now be reasonable/responsible for me but I just can't seem to decide if I want to go there. I do have 3 kids under age 7 I'll eventually need to pay for college after all. Because of this, I find myself hesitant to purchase any new affordables, because if I'm going to get a $3-5k watch in the next few years I don't want to waste $500 now on something I won't wear long term. I'm not a flipper don't really want to deal with selling. From my collection below you can see I'm in need of a white dial daily/dress option. Currently looking at a Seiko SARB035 ($450) which look beautiful . . . or an Omega Aqua Terra white ($3,800 used). 10 months and one more bonus and maybe the AT is a slam dunk. So for now I'm just stuck here at the corner, can't decide where to go but the money in my pocket is yelling SPEND ME. Thanks for indulging my little superfluous therapy session.

Current Collection

Hamilton Kahki Field 42mm
    Squale 1545 heritage
    Seiko SBDN035 (solar quartz)
    Seiko 5 Black
    Rodina (Cheap $100 Nomos Homage)
    Skagen (from before my WIS days, mostly just to fill the box)

Name:  Collection Pic Granite.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  3.10 MB

Re: Stuck at the Collecting Crossroads

Save for the Omega.
    Rosarito likes this.
    Watches are life. Live to Watch, Watch to Live. Do you even Watch, bro?

Save and go slow. As a Skyfall owner/wearer, it’s worth the wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosarito likes this.
    Bulova 1973 Deep Sea Chronograph "B"
    Seiko 7A38-7100
    Seiko Kinetic Sports 50 SKJ056
    Citizen Skyhawk A-T JY0000-53E
    Omega Seamaster "Skyfall" (blue) Aqua Terra 8500 231.10.39.21.03.001
    Tudor Pelagos Blue 25600TB
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Ultra Thin Moon Black Dial SS Q1368470
    Farer GMT Automatic Ponting
    Casio G-Shock GW-M530A

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Your kids can pay thier own college. Set up a fund the same way you would a college fund. When the time comes, get the tuition priced Patek blue dial Nautilus. You'll be happier, and your kids will learn a valuable lesson.
    Dan T., Sebast975 and JacobC like this.
    Core Collection:
    H. Moser & Cie Venture Small Seconds 2327-0402, Omega Aqua Terra 231.53.39.21.06.002, JLC Reverso Flyback Chrono 255.182, JLC Reverso Grande Taille 270.3.62, Rolex OP 1966 1002, Ulysee Nardin Perpetual GMT 321-22, Longines Conquest 1959, Hamilton Electric Spectra 1957, Citizen AQ 4020–54Y, Bulova Accutron Astronaut

Save up..

Carmen de apicala, Col / Cayuse Flats, BC

The A/T is worth the wait, it could easily be a one watch collection.
    Rosarito, Golder and Sebast975 like this.
    The current rotation: Orologi Calamai G50 MkIII, Omega Speedmaster 3510-50, Omega Dynamic series III, Omega Aqua Terra 2504.80, Omega Seamaster 212.30.41, MkII Key West , Eterna - Matic 1948 Chronometre, Tudor BB36 79500, Marathon TSAR medium, Pro Trek PRW3000-2, Seiko Alpinist perpetual calendar GMT.

Get the Omega and take it from there. If you need to cash out (to pay tuition or to upgrade the watch, etc.), Omega is not too bad on return if you buy it used to begin with. You can't know how much you'll enjoy it until you do it. And by "it" I don't just mean your watch. There have been times I liked a watch well enough once I bought it, but parting with the money wasn't worth the enjoyment!
    Avoid paying retail and acquiring microbrands, and your "bail out" sales return should be close enough to the purchase price, making your decision easier. Especially if you start dabbling in the Rolex pool.

I realize this doesn't directly address your watch concerns, but I heartily agree that kids should pay the bulk (if not nearly all) of their college expenses. I have two kids who plan on going to college and I can't see my wife and I gutting our savings for college, especially when they are looking at Ivy League schools at $70k per year each. We will allow our kids the opportunity to attend those schools, but they will have to weigh the cost-benefit of attending.
    Sebast975 likes this.

As an owner of a sarb and an AT. Save and get the omega. I love both but it's nice having one proper luxury piece in the rotation and the AT is wonderful
    Sebast975 likes this.
    Current:
    Omega, Hamilton, Seiko x3, Orient, Suunto, G-Shock

Coming Soon:
    Oak & Oscar

SARB and the Omega.... They are not even in the same league. Put the $500 you'd spend on the SARB toward the Omega. No question on that.

EDIT: I have the SARB035, and wear it a lot. And I've tried on the Omega. So I'm an objective voice. Don't get the SARB.
    Last edited by Dan T.; 1 Week Ago at 20:36.
    "I think I may make bold to say, that there is neither any other Mechanical or Mathematical thing in the World that is more beautiful or curious in texture than this my watch or Timekeeper for the Longitude..." ~John Harrison F.R.S., 1759

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information