Stuck Crown on Seiko
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By WIS_Chronomaster

Thread: Stuck Crown on Seiko

Stuck Crown on Seiko

Hi all,

Today I spent some time at the beach with my diver, a Seiko SKX. I took it into the ocean several times, and at one point I took it off for a while, and it got pretty hot in the sun. Tonight I was surprised to find that the crown is stuck. I can't unscrew it with my fingers. I'm thinking either that some debris got in there or a gasket deformed from the heat, in any case obstructing the movement of the threads. Any other hypotheses, or suggestions about what to do? I'm thinking of trying to unscrew it with a nylon-tipped pliers.

Thanks!

Re: Stuck Crown on Seiko

First thing is i wouldnt try to loose it off with pliers, i would take it to a watchmaker and get him to look at it ..
    Nokie likes this.

Could be rust.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Rinse it well with fresh water, focusing on the crown (see if you can wash anything out of there). Then, I'd try some dental floss around the crown/stem and see if that flushes anything out. You could also put it in the freezer for a bit to see if the metal contraction will allow it to unscrew.

If you get it unscrewed, then use the dental floss trick on the crown and stem while it's unscrewed. The wax from the dental floss will give it a little lubrication. You should probably get it looked at by your watchmaker as well.

A standard SKX crown just has a tiny rubber gasket that fits on the inside of the tube (just google skx crown). Even if it melted I don't think it would be enough to prevent the crown from unscrewing. It might be some sand / debris that got stuck. The only other time I've seen a stuck crown on an SKX was due to it being knocked against something pretty hard - the threaded tube attached to the case was bent and the crown was stuck against the crown guard. Pushing the crown back towards the center loosened it. It wasn't my watch of course.

[QUOTE]First thing is i wouldnt try to loose it off with pliers, i would take it to a watchmaker and get him to look at it ../QUOTE]

This, if you like your watch, IMHO.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I’d put a pair of rubber kitchen gloves on to increase your grip and if this fails then go to see a watchmaker. Don’t use pliers on it.

Thread Information