Stuck Seconds Hand on Quartz Chrono??

Thread: Stuck Seconds Hand on Quartz Chrono??

Stuck Seconds Hand on Quartz Chrono??

I just pulled out an old Tag Heuer chrono from that hasn't been worn in 10 years. The watch is similar to this one and runs an Eta Cal 251.251

Name:  tag-heuer-sel-analogue-digital.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  260.5 KB

I replaced the battery today and the watch works fine except for the 1/100th second hand (the black hand in the picture) which doesn't move from the 12 oclock position, it just beats back and forth every second. Other than that the chrono function works properly - the minute and the hour hand advances as expected, just that the 1/100th second is stuck at 12 o'clock.

Even though I replaced the battery with a new one today, could this be a battery problem? If not, anyone know what the problem could be and if there's an easy fix? Or does the watch need to go in for repairs?

Re: Stuck Seconds Hand on Quartz Chrono??

There are quartz chrono hand resetting instructions online (just google) - that's normal just for resetting to zero if it resets to 1 or 2 seconds past, for example, but it might be worth trying that first.

If that doesn't work then I would expect the second hand isn't seated correctly. Take it to someone to get it looked at. If everything else is working correctly it's unlikely to be a battery problem.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Thanks Brad, I already tried the chrono hand resetting and it worked just fine for the other chrono hands but the 1/100th second hand didn't budge - should have mentioned that in my OP.

I figured the problem may be with the hand itself but now I just noticed now that the constant seconds hand (sub register at 6 oclock) is doing the 5 second jump that you typically see when a battery runs down. Strange given I just put a new battery in and it wasn't doing this earlier when I was testing the chrono.

Just wondering now whether all batteries are created equal? I bought the battery from a watch repairer so I assume he's selling good quality batteries rather than generic drug store brands. Also, is it possible that the a dying battery could affect the zero reset option for quartz chrono hands?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Try changing the battery again. I have had batteries bad out of the pack, I'm assuming the battery Mfg has a few that are lemons. Now I always check them before installing. You can find a small multi meter very cheap, try Harbor Freight I got one there free with a coupon, works fine. Good luck.

The easiest thing to do is change the battery, but my guess is that this is not the problem. On quartz chronographs there are typically separate motors for each function, and that is why you can adjust each sub-dial hand individually as in the instructions to zero each hand. If you look at this ETA 251.262 photo I took a few years ago (I don't service these very often really) you can see 5 coils for the 5 motors inside the movement:

So even if all the other hands work properly, if there is one that isn't working it could be a bad coil, debris in the gear train for that specific motor only, or some other fault that is specific just to that function. My feeling is that likely there is something wrong with the specific motor in question, so it will need intervention from a professional, or a new movement installed (often cheaper than getting a service done).

Cheers, Al

That is a lovely watch by the way.
    My advice- buy a watch that pleases you. Don't let anyone judge or tell you what to wear. Good cheap and expensive watches are no different between them. Both still can tell the time.

rokwldr - just ran a multimeter on the battery and it's showing 1.77V so looks like the battery is fine.

Archer - that's great info, got a lot better idea of how these watches work thanks to your post. Looks like I'll need to get an expert to check it out. Just an FYI, here's a shot of my ETA Cal 251.251, looks pretty similar to the 262 you posted:

Name:  20151227_105910.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  919.9 KB

UnknownSekonda - Thanks for the compliment. This watch was actually my first nice watch purchase back in 1997. I didn't really know much about watches but just knew I liked this one. It had been discontinued for a while when I bought it and I had never seen one in the flesh so was lucky to come across it when I hit my first store. Although it's not an uncommon model I've never seen one in the flesh since. I didn't know it at the time but it turns out that this model was often seen being worn by Ayrton Senna so that's an added bonus (I'm big Senna fan). Mine's the grey dial version on the gold/silver bracelet. Can't say the watch has aged very well on the bracelet but if I can track down a leather strap like in the first picture it's salvageable. Here's a pic of mine:
    Name:  20151227_104238.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  760.1 KB
    Name:  20151227_104035.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  685.0 KB

Thread Information