Stupid Customs Form
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Stupid Customs Form

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stupid Customs Form

I recently sold a watch internationally to a neighbor to our north (I'm in the USA). Upon preparing the USPS international shipping label on line you are required to fill out customs form 2976-E; fine, understandable. On this form you are to fill out what the item ship is and the value. To my dismay, when I printed the postage / shipping label, it contained the customs form with the item and value amount clearly advertised right there on the outside of the box. This just screams STEAL ME!!! How stupid is this?

I rarely ship things and am wondering if there is a way around this. I already am fairly distrustful of the USPS and people who steal packages.

Re: Stupid Customs Form

True, but that's why you send it insured and claim the compensation when it doesn't get delivered.

Use something other than USPS, especially if the watch is worth a lot. Insurance and signed signature preferably, spend the extra money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ticonderoga likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I had to do this yesterday and it was a pain in the arse. They had be brake down the value of the watch by bracelet, case, and movement which I thought was strange.

Consider parcel pro to insure your watches.

there are customs forms to be filled out through them but they explicitly remind you not to put "expensive watch" on labels. i believe they write "precision swiss instrument" which alludes some thieves.

www.parcelpro.com
    marlowe55 likes this.
    "I tried to think of something witty, profound and horology related to quote here, but I'm not clever enough to come up with anything."

Instagram @qtip.416

Quote Originally Posted by emunzy View Post
    spend the extra money.
    This. Don't be stingy when it comes to insurance or a higher quality shipping method. Without insurance, you're only one paypal claim away from a very bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by qtip.416 View Post
    Consider parcel pro to insure your watches.

there are customs forms to be filled out through them but they explicitly remind you not to put "expensive watch" on labels. i believe they write "precision swiss instrument" which alludes some thieves.

www.parcelpro.com
    This.

As USPS and Canada Post have a maximum payout of $1000 no matter the stated or insured value of the watch being shipped I've used Parcelpro to ship any watches in excess of that value with absolutely no problems.
    It's easy to set up a consumer account with them, they ship via Fedex or UPS, the valuations are well hidden and if you follow their easy to work with shipping instructions they will pay to the value of the watch on any claims. Their shipping costs are about double what USPS or Canada Post charge but delivery is very quick and the peace of mind knowing that you're completely covered in the event of an issue is priceless.
    qtip.416 likes this.
    You can always earn more money, but you can't earn more time.

I often import watches from Japan and have thought the same as it declares on the label what it is, how much it's worth and what it had for breakfast. I understand that customs require this information to zap me with a tax bill but I often think it's an open invitation to the light fingered.

You rarely ship things yet you are distrustful of the USPS and people who steal things????? You apparently are worried about something that has never happened to you. Or me or most other buyers and sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    You rarely ship things yet you are distrustful of the USPS and people who steal things????? You apparently are worried about something that has never happened to you. Or me or most other buyers and sellers.
    I guess I hear and read too many stories of "lost" packages; there are even quite a few threads on this forums. I've had a package last Christmas whose contents were stolen, all I received was a plastic bag with the remnants of the box and a note saying my package was damaged in transit. Obviously opened and stolen by someone. There are also all of the news reports and videos of people following delivery trucks then walking up the people's front doors and stealing the packages. Granted, these incidents are rare in comparison but one must always be aware. After all that is what insurance is for. My original point being is that having the contents and value exposed on the box invites theft.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information