Stupid to wear a mechanical watch doing construction?
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Stupid to wear a mechanical watch doing construction?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Stupid to wear a mechanical watch doing construction?

Hi all, Iím sure I will hear a lot of responses stating go quartz or G-Shock, but I was curious about your thoughts wearing a mechanical watch for construction type work. Iím currently flipping a house and wear my Timex Expedition almost daily, but I find myself really missing wearing a mechanical. Iíve always wanted that ďoneĒ main tool watch and just wear it for almost anything, but havenít yet done it. In fact I sold off most of my mechanicals in a recent purge and havenít yet replaced any. I used to work in an office and would wear mechanicals daily, but since March or so of this year I have been wearing my Timex or G-Shock and being a watch guy, find them missing something. I used to have a Ginault Ocean Rover and Seiko Sumo and those were my main two, I do miss my Sumo and also like the sub homage style. I have thought about the relatively cheap Phoibos quartz homage in 42mm which seems like a quality piece for $120, or a Invicta 8926 with the NH35 to see how it holds up. Most days are really not too bad anyway, but last week I did break apart a brick mailbox using a sledge hammer and there is the occasional use of a reciprocating saw, which has some good vibration to it. I know Chip Gaines from HGTVís Fixer Upper wears a a Rolex Sea Dweller and does everything in it, but Iím sure the Rolex movement is tougher than most? Anyway, just looking for discussion and opinions.

Re: Stupid to wear a mechanical watch doing construction?

Better wear a quartz. Any quartz and preferably a digital. A Rolex movement may or may not be much tougher than most but one thing you can be sure of is it will more costly to fix than most if anything goes wrong with it.
    Bulova> 96B251. Casio> 5600E. Damasko> DS30. GrandSeiko> SBGH205. Rolex> 116500LN, 16710. Seiko> SARB017, SARB033, SBDX017, SLA017.

heb

I think your plan of attack is a good one. Wear one of those inexpensive mechanical watches and see how they hold up. That would be a good experiment that many here would be glad to hear the results of. Perhaps before wearing that watch to the construction site, wear it for a few days at home and determine a rough daily rate. Then put it through it paces at the site for a month or so, then figure another daily rate; comparing the two values.

heb

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Take whatever mechanical watch you like and just wear it. No modern mechanical movement will have any problems with those vibrations. They may influence the accuracy negatively, but they won't create damage. I've operated jack hammers with a Seiko 5 on my wrist for years. Scratches would be my main concern, not the movement. So just pick a reasonably cheap mechanical watch you like and just try it.
    biscuit141 and georgenaka like this.

People back in the day did everything with a mechanical watch and once the anti-shock systems were developed, far less watches would come into servicing for broken shafts, which used to be prevalent before.

Although watchmakers caution against repeated jolts and vibrations, often that force is mostly cushioned by your arm and should be bearable. Iíve known people who frequent gun ranges and the recoil didnít seem to break or harm their watches.

Quote Originally Posted by ffritz View Post
    I've operated jack hammers with a Seiko 5 on my wrist for years.
    Now thatís really putting it to the test... how did accuracy hold up?
    slcbbrown and ffritz like this.

I would do it. I'd take it off if I was using a jack hammer or something that vibrated excessively. One time I had been using a sawzall for about 10 minutes before I thought to take off the Monaco I was wearing. Thankfully the watch was just fine.

Quartz might be a safer choice,however I got a (high school) friend who works in construction and he wears an Orient ray daily and once he fell down the ledge,hit his head,rushed to the ER,got several stitches and the watch (and the person) is still going strong with some scratches and dry cement sticking on it...

So wearing mechanical on construction works is doable and the affordable mechanical watches aren't that frail however the accuracy isn't the biggest point of mechanicals in that price range
    ffritz likes this.

Focus on the task at hand. Just get a nice automatic to put on when you put the tools away.
    I wouldn't put much stock on what a TV handyman wears "doing everything". They only "do" stuff when the camera's rolling. If he were working all day,non-stop on a project like real workers he wouldn't be wearing a Rolex.

Do you have an allergy to wearing a GShock?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    ďIf we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.Ē
    ― Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by imaCoolRobot View Post
    Do you have an allergy to wearing a GShock?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    No, and I do wear it on the job site some days, but I prefer the look of an analog watch and typically use my GShock for sports activities and working out. That’s why I have considered the Phoibos quartz diver, gives me the look I like and sapphire, but tougher quartz movement. Also looked at the Scurfa Diver One, but that’s about 50% more money and no bracelet. Also considered the Citizen Eco Drive diver that sells for $150 on amazon, but do love the style as much, the orange minute hand and no sapphire, but also no battery changes.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information