Style vs Function
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Style vs Function

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Style vs Function

I know this has probably been discussed to death and I am not going to go into specific details about which specific watches I am speaking of because there are many examples. The issue is when considering a purchase I get so torn between functionality and style. Which complications and functions are important for me--- versus the stylish appeal of a watch that has my look but not my functions. I could argue that I can use my iphone for these other functions but then by extrapolation I could argue I do not even need a time function..

So when making a costly purchase--- which is more important.. style vs function vs compromise (most functions and decent if not favorite style).

In terms of functions on a mechanical watch-- I like to have power reserve indicator regardless if automatic vs hand wind, chrono, date, second time zone (since i travel)... Hard to find all on something I really like to look at.

Re: Style vs Function

Good question, even if it's been covered before. Style, style, style for me. I like hand wind, plain and simple with no complications not even date (though that might not be defined as a complication by some, I've discovered). I've accepted a few pieces that break from that description only because I couldn't resist the aesthetic/style of the dial . . .
    A.Lange & Sohne *anOrdain * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Méraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tiffany & Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

None of mine don't function, but if I take lume, WR, and date - I do miss them where not present. But I chose the pieces because I like the designs and wouldn't change them so...style.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The point about style, in my view, is that something should be beautiful in how it achieves its function, without sacrificing any aspect of that function.

I would take that about a rule of them in pretty much all of my dress sense and accessories.

Something which is said to be 'stylish' which is non-functional or has compromised functionality (including robustness/durability as far as watches are concerned) is in reality all fur coat and no knickers.
    ken_sturrock likes this.

I would say once you get into the more expensive watches--- with some exceptions--- style becomes a matter of individual taste. So stating beauty in how it achieves function is a matter of taste. There are a number of watches that would fill my function desires and many would consider them to be stylish --- but they do not appeal to me.
    Look at some of the polls --- folks asking which of two watches (same functions) one prefers over another --- cost being similar--- most times close to 50/50.

Quote Originally Posted by Coler View Post
    The point about style, in my view, is that something should be beautiful in how it achieves its function, without sacrificing any aspect of that function.

I would take that about a rule of them in pretty much all of my dress sense and accessories.

Something which is said to be 'stylish' which is non-functional or has compromised functionality (including robustness/durability as far as watches are concerned) is in reality all fur coat and no knickers.

Both are important to me, even if I don't always rely on the function.

For example, on a diver I want to know that it functions well for diving even if I don't dive. But I also want it to match my style, which for me leans towards understated and tasteful.

Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    I would say once you get into the more expensive watches--- with some exceptions--- style becomes a matter of individual taste. So stating beauty in how it achieves function is a matter of taste. There are a number of watches that would fill my function desires and many would consider them to be stylish --- but they do not appeal to me.
    Look at some of the polls --- folks asking which of two watches (same functions) one prefers over another --- cost being similar--- most times close to 50/50.

To take two extremes :-

A dress watch - function = to tell time. That's it. This gives a much leeway as the designer could possibly wish as regards how to achieve that function and what style to adopt in the design.

A divers watch - function to tell time/elapsed time. To achieve function certain pre-requisites must be met in the design (water resistance for instance). The styling must be worked around those functions.

In each instance a beautiful design can be achieved. To my eyes, the beauty of the design will be enhanced by the designers expression of how he/she achieves the functionality of the watch. In each instance, durability is important also (granted one would not dive wearing a dress watch, but the piece should still be robust for daily wearing subject to proper servicing). Style and function are accordingly so intermeshed as to be incapable of being severed in my eyes. Once decides the functionality, one designs the style around those requirements, a design is truly great if it achieves its functionality in a stylistically pleasing way.

Just my opinion.

While my watches are functional, style trumps function, but there are functional components of my watches that I desire stylistically.

Style over function: high legibility, clean/teutonic dial, no date/minimalistic date function, significant size, thickness, and weight (as an aesthetic component).

Function: water resistance, high legibility (however, both of these are factors that I desire stylistically).

There are exceptions to this however. My 1963 really fits none of these principles.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

I generally prefer function, augmented with style.

For example, a 24hr bezel on a three hander has limited use as a timer, and almost none as a GMT 24h indicator. But, I think it often looks cool.
    Last edited by bluloo; March 18th, 2013 at 16:22.

Style vs Function

Style + build quality for me. Anyone can make a watch that gives you the functions needed at any price point.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information