Sub $1,000 Dress Watch - Suggestions?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Sub $1,000 Dress Watch - Suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I'm looking for a classic, sub $1,000 dress watch to add to my stable. I don't have what I would call a "true" dress watch, being that my workplace is loose business casual, so sportier watches generally work just fine. But I would like something a little more classic for some upcoming events, including what I hope to be my own wedding in 2013 (proposal forthcoming in the spring).

I've seen some nice options, including the Tissot LeLocle, Frederique Constant Classics, and Raymond Weil Maestro. Here are my general criteria:

Sub $1,000
    Automatic
    Black or brown leather
    Silver, white, or off-white dial, guilloche is preferred
    Roman Numerals
    38-42MM

Below are some pics. Any thoughts?

Name:  Tissot Lelocle.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  106.2 KBName:  Frederique Constant.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  169.9 KBName:  Raymond Weil.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  66.3 KB

All good choices, but the FC stands out to me

Re: Sub $1,000 Dress Watch - Suggestions?

I think both the Frederique Constant and the Tissot Le Locle are the best value in their respective price range for a dress watch. The quality of finishing on the Frederique Constant is more refined than on the Tissot Le Locle, but it is also costs about 50% more ($600 vs. $400). Of the three you listed, and keeping your criteria in mind, I would go with the Frederique Constant in a heartbeat.

The other suggestions you'll typically get for dress watches in this price range will be a Stowa, Christopher Ward, Orient, Seiko SARB, or Seagull. With the exception of the Seagull, none of them really have the guilloche dial and Roman numerals that you favor.
    portauto and ken_sturrock like this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ya, I like that FC. Very nice.

My collection may be complete, but it is never completed

Collection: Rolex Submariner 116610; Seikos Orange Monster, Black Monster, 007 (X2) 009, SRPB53, SPB079, and SRP775; Hamiltons Khaki 42mm and Khaki King; Halios Laguna; 2012 WUS CMW Forum Dual Crown Project Watch; Invicta Pro Diver 8926OB; Casio Pathfinder PAG40; G-Shock GD350, GW7900B-1, DW9052-1BCG. GMW5610-1, DW5600, DW5600CMB-1, DW5900, GW-9400-1CR; Orients Star Classic and 2ER; Some other stuff.

FC has my vote. Also if you don't mind going a bit smaller, you can look into vintage Omega Seamaster De Ville watches.

Name:  Photo Dec 24, 17 53 04.png
Views: 483
Size:  471.3 KB

This one is my current "dress" watch.
    Last edited by wiseMenofGotham; December 25th, 2012 at 01:00.

I'd say this is a toss up. Tissot if you want to save money. The FC and the RW are truly on par IMO. It would be different if you were looking at a 700 series FC. If you can, I'd try them on and take a look at the dial work in person. The lugs on the FC are longer on the FC than on the RW. Further, I have always been happier with the dial work on RWs than they are given credit for. Good Luck any way you go. Not a single one is a bad piece.

Grail: Montblanc Villeret Tachydate Monopusher

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    I think both the Frederique Constant and the Tissot Le Locle are the best value in their respective price range for a dress watch. The quality of finishing on the Frederique Constant is more refined than on the Tissot Le Locle, but it is also costs about 50% more ($600 vs. $400). Of the three you listed, and keeping your criteria in mind, I would go with the Frederique Constant in a heartbeat.

The other suggestions you'll typically get for dress watches in this price range will be a Stowa, Christopher Ward, Orient, Seiko SARB, or Seagull. With the exception of the Seagull, none of them really have the guilloche dial and Roman numerals that you favor.
    I'm thinking the FC is the way to go. I've seen the Tissot in person (with a bracelet), but not the others. I'll definitely check out the other brands you mentioned. I was actually just looking at some Wards online a bit ago, but just the divers. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by wiseMenofGotham View Post
    FC has my vote. Also if you don't mind going a bit smaller, you can look into vintage Omega Seamaster De Ville watches.

Name:  Photo Dec 24, 17 53 04.png
Views: 483
Size:  471.3 KB

This one is my current "dress" watch.
    That's a nice vintage. I'm not 100% on the guilloche, but I prefer it. I've not been one to go for vintages, but I wouldn't object to adding one to my collection, provided it's big enough.

Check out American Eagle's modern Hamilton Thinomatic on the other thread. Superb dress watch in this price category.

Edit: sorry doesn't meet all your criteria such as Roman numerals. But worthy of consideration for a dress watch.
    Last edited by Ovalteenie; December 25th, 2012 at 04:25.

Of the three you listed, if you have the money for the Frederique Constant is the best finished to my eye. FC is also a brand on the rise. The Tissot Le Locle is a great dress watch, but it isn't quite as sexy as the FC. Raymond Weil does not seem to get a lot of love around here, but by appearance I actually prefer it to the Tissot.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information