Hello again, fellow forum members. In addition to my ongoing search for a retirement gift watch for my father, I need to start looking for a gift for my best friend from college, who will be retiring from the military next year.
- My budget would probably be under $1000 (though I must sheepishly admit that under $800 would probably be more palatable).
- I'd want to buy new, not used, but don't mind buying grey.
- I need to get some sense of his current tastes from his wife, but I know that I got him a titanium mesh-bracelet Skagen many years ago and he really seemed to like it, so I'm thinking metal bracelet.
- I don't think he particularly cares about quartz versus automatic, though I'd lean toward automatic for him, if possible.
- Since he's a marathon runner, I think a chronograph feature might be desirable.
- Since he's a nurse practitioner as well as an officer, I suspect a second hand will be helpful, too (not sure if he's taking pulses these days, but just in case).
- He's not a WIS, so he probably won't care about brand pecking order, but I'd prefer to get him something Swiss Made.
What might fit the bill? I've been thinking of an Oris, a Longines Hydroconquest, or a Hamilton or Glycine chronograph. I think he might really like a Tag Heuer (more mainstream brand recognition; again, he's not a WIS), but I realize I'm just not going to find a new automatic one with that budget. Other brands and models to consider? Thanks!