Suggest Me a Chrono..
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Suggest Me a Chrono..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Suggest Me a Chrono..

OK, I've had the Speedy Pro, iconic moonwatch. But what really drives me crazy is the crazy small crown on a manual wind watch. Also, I am constantly irritated by the large second hand used as a stopwatch! However, I like the chrono as it is useful for me to time stuff.

So, please suggest me a chrono that has:
    - auto movement, or a manual with crown that is large and easy to wind
    - stopwatch seconds is in a subdial
    - fairly good pedigree
    - in the vicinity of 40mm

Re: Suggest Me a Chrono..

I would wager that 95% of mechanical chronographs employ a central seconds counter. Maybe one of the experts here knows of one which uses a subdial, but it's going to be very difficult to satisfy all of your criteria.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
    rfortson likes this.
    Omega | Breitling | Citizen | Tag Heuer | G-Shock | Oris | Dievas | Marathon | Seiko | Hamilton | Helbros | Sinn | Fortis

Searching the planet for: Kobold Endurance II in blue

It will be very difficult to find a mechanical chrono (certainly difficult for one of "good pedigree") that has a subdial seconds counter. The purpose of those watches is accurate measurements (hence the tachymetre on many of them) and that's impossible to do on a subdial.
    rfortson likes this.
    "Aimez les montres"
    -Philippe Peverelli

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Agree. Subdial chrono is kind of self defeating as you cannot tell milliseconds well on a subdial chrono. That said, interestingly, my Victorinox has a subdial millisecond (10 for a revolution) but still has a central seconds counter. No tachymeter. I can't recall of a chrono with a subdial seconds hand. You can scratch off any chronos with a tachymeter. That may speed up your search. But to find a good chrono with a subdial seconds hand is like saying "I bought this Victorian mansion and to make it more elegant I'm going to buy my furniture from Ikea."
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyhead123 View Post
    Agree. Subdial chrono is kind of self defeating as you cannot tell milliseconds well on a subdial chrono. That said, interestingly, my Victorinox has a subdial millisecond (10 for a revolution) but still has a central seconds counter. No tachymeter. I can't recall of a chrono with a subdial seconds hand. You can scratch off any chronos with a tachymeter. That may speed up your search. But to find a good chrono with a subdial seconds hand is like saying "I bought this Victorian mansion and to make it more elegant I'm going to buy my furniture from Ikea."
    It's really a matter of personal taste. If I can afford a nice speedy, I should be able to decide that I want a watch with a subdial 60 seconds hand. Same way that with your Victorian mansion / Ikea example, the man who does that would be a "rich eccentric". That being said, can you show a pic of you Victorinox? I've had one before and they were very good watches (and I am a SAK fan).
    Last edited by watchvaultnyc; August 29th, 2014 at 14:39.

A chronograph is a stopwatch that also tells the time and the central chronograph seconds reflects that origin.

You can say you should be able to choose but that just ignores the reality of how these things are designed, how they work and why they are the way they are.

It's less like a victorian house and more like a car with square wheels; a tool that's been eviscerated as a tool. A chronograph is a presicion instrument and to that end, the central seconds hand is the chrono seconds hand for extreme readability. You won't find one that fits your criteria and you certainly won't find one priced near the Speedy. Automatic chronos priced $500 to $5000 use either Valjoux 7750 or eta 2892 plus a module. Fossil Chronos tend to have sub second hands. Some citizens as well.
    watchgeekwatchnut likes this.
    "Aimez les montres"
    -Philippe Peverelli

Just buy a chrono. and run it all the time...I suggest a quartz, battery may last 5or 6 months, but
    the most important thing...you will have your cake and you will eat it too....
    broudie likes this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Quote Originally Posted by broudie View Post
    It's really a matter of personal taste. If I can afford a nice speedy, I should be able to decide that I want a watch with a subdial 60 seconds hand. Same way that with your Victorian mansion / Ikea example, the man who does that would be a "rich eccentric". That being said, can you show a pic of you Victorinox? I've had one before and they were very good watches (and I am a SAK fan).
    Well, you could always commission one. I just don't think you're going to find much out there for what you're asking. There's just no demand, and there's no way you can call a subdial second hand high end.

Here's the Victorinox. It's a quartz though.

Victorinox Swiss Army Base Camp Chronograph Mens Watch 241465
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

Zenith Striking 10 has chronograph seconds in a sub-dial at 3. It is indeed a special watch when you realize what is the sweeping central hand

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information