Suggestion Ideas Anything
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Suggestion Ideas Anything

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Suggestion Ideas Anything

Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum and to the horology world. I've always had a fascination for watches. I've gathered a few pieces here and there (all cheap) and now I want to slowly start building a decent collection. A friend of mine recommended to start with Seiko Orange Monster, which I really like, so it's on it's way.

I guess I just want to ask out there for any guidance, suggestions on sites, books or anything that can help me acquire more knowledge. Also, any other suggestions on start up pieces?

bests

Re: Suggestion Ideas Anything

Name:  6269141763_2ede73dd16_z.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  206.2 KB
    I think this would be good
    Arcitecht likes this.
    G-Shock Mudman G9000
    Louis Erard 1931
    Timex Weekender T2N654
    IWC Portofino Ref. 3513
    Seiko SARB035

Forget everything you know. You now only want this ;)

Name:  pp_speedmaster_gents_moonwatch_soldat.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  39.5 KB
    AussieLoads and robertl like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome. I think you're on the right track with your Seiko Orange Monster. Search this forum for anything and you can most likely find some type of an answer. Read up on quartz, mechanical, and automatic movements. Go to some watch stores and try on some sport watches as well as dressier watches. You'll start to et an idea of what you like and what looks good on your wrist in terms of size and whatnot. For other "startup" pieces, that really depends on what you want to spend.

Just read this forum.....But don't believe everything you read.
    Unless I post it.
    Donf, sticky and PaleSkinnySwede like this.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Yeah, if you spend (waste) hours a day on here like a lot of us, you'll pick up more info than your head an hold rather quickly. Just keep perusing every forum until you find a few that catch your interest.

Quote Originally Posted by hovebomber View Post
    Name:  6269141763_2ede73dd16_z.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  206.2 KB
    I think this would be good
    I disagree 100%! That book is far too difficult for a beginner. It goes into minutiae that are of absolutely no interest whatsoever to the average collector, and, unless one wants to make one's own clock, is beyond any use.

I bought it, hated it, sold it…
    Last edited by Francois Boucher; January 11th, 2014 at 18:38.
    Totoro66 and watchcrank like this.
    François – Quebec City, QC

Complete Price Guide to Watches 2014: Richard E. Gilbert, Tom Engle, Cooksey Shugart: 9780982948736: Amazon.com: Books

Coming in March. The 2013 guide is out now. Take all pricing with a grain of salt but good for ID and basic appreciation.

http://www.amazon.com/Revolution-Tim...dp_ob_title_bk

Probably the finest general read I've ever seen. Everything from 14th century Turret Clocks to quartz.
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; January 11th, 2014 at 18:10.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Here are excellent books that are accessible to the collector:

The World of Watches, by Lucien F. Trueb. This one sits by my bedside. It is extremely well documented, with short, but informative chapters on every watch brand known to Man, on the Watch Industry, and an overview of 500 years of watch history and technology, and a "Who's Who" in watch-movement manufacturing.

Chronograph Wristwatches: To Stop Time by Gerd-R Lang, Reinhard Meis and Edward Force (Mar 1997). A classic. Fantastic history of the chronograph, with many technical details and drawings, by a great watchmaker (Lang). I loved this book and read it from cover to cover. Still refer to it once in a while.

Complete Price Guide to Watches 2012 by Richard E. Gilbert, Tom Engle and Cooksey Shugart. Maybe the 2013 version is available? Exhaustive. I agree with Ray here: a must-have!

Automatic Wristwatches From Switzerland By Heinz Hampel. Great book with tons of information & history. Required reading!

The Mastery of Time: A History of Timekeeping, from the Sundial to the Wristwatch: Discoveries, Inventions, and... by Dominique Flechon and Franco Cologni (Jan 10, 2012). Excellent, and richly illustrated.

Wristwatches Armbanduhren Montres- Bracelets (English, German and French Edition) by Gisbert L Bruner and Christian Pfeiffer-Belli (Nov 1999). Very nice, in three languages. Lots of pictures. Mostly a description of a collection of watches, not a narrative.

Also, check out this old thread.

Last edited by Francois Boucher; January 11th, 2014 at 18:33.
    François – Quebec City, QC

Welcome to the forum. Read the threads here, particularly the WRUW ones, and you'll soon get an idea of what you do and don't like.
    Last edited by sticky; January 11th, 2014 at 20:11. Reason: Typo
    MusicPDX likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information