Suggestions for analog - digital watch for my daughter who cannot tell the time?

Thread: Suggestions for analog - digital watch for my daughter who cannot tell the time?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Suggestions for analog - digital watch for my daughter who cannot tell the time?

Hi,

As the heading mentions I have a 13 year old daughter who still cannot read or tell the time. It's not through lack of trying though and she has had various watches over the last 5 years or so to help her tell the time but she just does not get it. I should point out that she is dyslexic and who knows she may never get it and is now having a horrid time just starting high school with maths.

One of her teachers has highlighted their concerns about Ashley not being able to tell the time and that she is constantly confused not knowing lesson times etc, the teacher has suggested maybe a analog / digital watch could help the learning process?

Having thought about that I considered using her mobile in conjunction with an analog watch but probably that would just confuse her even more.

Had a look at a couple of Baby G's and Casio's but to me the faces seem very cluttered and not easy to just tell the time.

Am hoping for some guidance and suggestions please.

Cheers,
    John

Re: Suggestions for analog - digital watch for my daughter who cannot tell the time?

Is a plain uncluttered digital difficult for her? Most importantly, remember that no condition is 'cast in stone'. Every one of us has important contributions to bring to society. Worst case scenario, if in the short run, no design helps, then the school and tutors/mentors/extended family etc. should take up the slack. That is the job that the institution is charged with. Stay upbeat and remember that this is just a bump in the road. All the best.

Re: Suggestions for analog - digital watch for my daughter who cannot tell the time?

I wouldn't confuse her with an ana-digi watch; stick to analogue - maybe something like this which reads out the time when you press a button Lifemax/RNIB Men's Talking Atomic Watch 407 with Strap: Amazon.co.uk: Watches.

That might help

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There is one watch that I would recommend, very similar to the one from Amazon in the link given above but this model of 'speaking' watch has 4 buttons, one that tells you the exact time, one that tells you the day, date and year and another which you use to set the alarm and the fourth tells you the time zone and wheather or not the watch has been 'updated' via the radio signal. Instructions are included and very easy to follow. The watch?, Precision Radio Controlled Analogue Talcking Watch. Multi-band which picks up the signal from USA, Europe, Germany and Japan.

Casio BGA110-1B2 Womens Baby-G Watch - Infinite Shopping

I got my niece one like this but in pink. It can be set to display digital time at the same time as analog time. Sadly I just don't think she'll ever be a watch person.
    Guys, I really really really do understand that there was a hack and that my password was reset, but I'm about to take a year off from WUS if you can't stop telling me about it every time I log in. With my password. That you reset.

Banned

Is she able to tell the time from her mobile phone? Those are usually the easiest to read and uncluttered.

Quote Originally Posted by uknow&who View Post
    Is a plain uncluttered digital difficult for her? Most importantly, remember that no condition is 'cast in stone'. Every one of us has important contributions to bring to society. Worst case scenario, if in the short run, no design helps, then the school and tutors/mentors/extended family etc. should take up the slack. That is the job that the institution is charged with. Stay upbeat and remember that this is just a bump in the road. All the best.
    Hi,

Thanks for the encouragement and yes it is just a bump in the road for the time being (so to speak). Going back two years ago she could barley read or write but has come along in leaps and bounds and there is no holding her back now in those two RR's, one more R to go but if she is anything like her dad who by the way has the same affliction with maths she may never get it fully but we'll never give up on her.

Cheers,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    I wouldn't confuse her with an ana-digi watch; stick to analogue - maybe something like this which reads out the time when you press a button Lifemax/RNIB Men's Talking Atomic Watch 407 with Strap: Amazon.co.uk: Watches.

That might help
    Quote Originally Posted by Balancewheel View Post
    There is one watch that I would recommend, very similar to the one from Amazon in the link given above but this model of 'speaking' watch has 4 buttons, one that tells you the exact time, one that tells you the day, date and year and another which you use to set the alarm and the fourth tells you the time zone and wheather or not the watch has been 'updated' via the radio signal. Instructions are included and very easy to follow. The watch?, Precision Radio Controlled Analogue Talcking Watch. Multi-band which picks up the signal from USA, Europe, Germany and Japan.
    Hi,

Great suggestions from you both so thanks for that, I had no idea that these type of watches existed, but thinking about it I suppose there is no reason why they wouldn't be out there especially for the blind.

As I live in Oz I'm guessing there is no way that the watch would receive the atomic signal but that's not really a biggie. I shall investigate more!

Cheers,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Monocle View Post
    Casio BGA110-1B2 Womens Baby-G Watch - Infinite Shopping

I got my niece one like this but in pink. It can be set to display digital time at the same time as analog time. Sadly I just don't think she'll ever be a watch person.
    Hi Lord,

I did look at something similar in the Baby G range but I think it's just too cluttered for her, mind you perhaps I'm underestimating her ability, but of course I will give her a choice ultimately, and thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    Is she able to tell the time from her mobile phone? Those are usually the easiest to read and uncluttered.
    Hi,

She can certainly read the numbers but as yet she just has no concept of what those numbers actually represent in time. She has the same problem with money as well, if you sent her to the shop with a $5 note and she bought something for 20c and she comes home with $4.80 in coins she thinks she has more money than what she started with, it just does not comprehend with her yet. Speaking of which I have to log off so I can go and help her with her eight times tables.

Cheers,
    John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information