Suggestions for a beginner?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Perdendosi

Thread: Suggestions for a beginner?

Suggestions for a beginner?

Hello friends,

I'm an avid member of WUS, been around these forums for a few years, but I've never ventured into making any sales on the sales corner. Obviously successful sales lend themselves to more successful sales, but how did you make your very first trusted sale here? Perhaps there isn't such a thing -- any advice? I'd like to sell a few items but am unsure how I should proceed towards building a great sales reputation.

Many thanks for any feedback!

Cheers,
    CB

Re: Suggestions for a beginner?

TBH I don't remember, but a good start is being honest, descriptive, and use lots of clear photos. Leave feedback and encourage your buyer to do the same.

I know it goes against the grain here, but be prepared to ship the watch before receiving payment. Finding a buyer you can trust obviously is an important consideration.
    Seiko Marinemaster SBDX001
    My Father's Hamilton Khaki Automatic

My Grandfather's Movado Sub Sea Automatic

"That's what character is-It's in the tryin'" Eric Taylor.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jwalther View Post
    I know it goes against the grain here, but be prepared to ship the watch before receiving payment. Finding a buyer you can trust obviously is an important consideration.
    Yes, if you could find a trusted buyer, shipping beforehand would allow you to complete a sale, which would give you a track record of some kind, which will make the next sale easier.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Agree with GlennO. I don't think you have to agree to ship the watch before payment, though. Good pictures always help. You may wish to "tag" your photos with your username and the date. Also, accepting paypal usually helps put buyers at ease.
    Last edited by ramirez1970; January 9th, 2013 at 07:48.

My opinion is to start cheap. If you're selling a $100 watch, use good photos and describe it accurately. I had no trouble selling some of my affordables with no reputation here (I did post my ebay username, for which I had 100% feedback.) People are willing to take small risks on small items.

Alternatively, you could buy a few pieces, which could also start your reputation.

I don't think you need to offer to ship the watch before you receive payment. Just take PayPal and offer to pay for the fees yourself. PayPal's dispute resolution program favors the buyer, and if they aren't pleased, they can either (a) contact you and get it resolved (the preferred method), or (b) file a claim with PayPal and (eventually) get their money.

I'd have no problem buying a sub-$1000 watch from just about anyone on here, so long as I was using PayPal, they were good communicators (I always PM to ask more info before I buy, even for cheap ones), and they posted good descriptions and pics of the actual watch. If I get scammed, I'm reasonably protected.
    Last edited by Perdendosi; January 9th, 2013 at 19:46.
    440saw likes this.

- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
    Oris Big Crown Pointer Date (in red!) | Oris Artix Date | Glycine Airman DC-4 GMT | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Bernhardt Corsair GMT | Nth Naken Renegade | Hamilton Jazzmaster Square | Citizen Grand Classic | Kronaby Apex | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Samurai | Prometheus Jellyfish Yellow | Spinnaker Bradner | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" |

You could also, if you live in a large metropolitan area, make your first sales in person.

Thread Information