Suggestions for a Dive watch for surfers under $1000

Thread: Suggestions for a Dive watch for surfers under $1000

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Suggestions for a Dive watch for surfers under $1000

My brother-in-law is an avid surfer and my sister would like to gift him a dive watch under $1000. Any suggestions are please welcome. I don't exactly know how much water resistance is needed for somebody who goes surfing almost every weekend. Is 100m water resistance enough or does she need to go for something like 200m plus?

Also, the ceiling is set at $1000 because she doesn't want to him worry about bashing up the watch rough (he already owns an Rolex GMT Master II among other watches but never take it surfing, I've seen him wear a Suunto during his surfing expeditions sometime back but he is not into digital watches anymore).

She would like the WUS here to help her by offering some choices from amongst which she might choose. She also open to buy a watch with a quartz movement if its a good quality one, although she said she would prefer an automatic.

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Re: Suggestions for a Dive watch for surfers under $1000

Quote Originally Posted by dannyking View Post
    My brother-in-law is an avid surfer and my sister would like to gift him a dive watch under $1000. Any suggestions are please welcome. I don't exactly know how much water resistance is needed for somebody who goes surfing almost every weekend. Is 100m water resistance enough or does she need to go for something like 200m plus?

Also, the ceiling is set at $1000 because she doesn't want to him worry about bashing up the watch rough (he already owns an Rolex GMT Master II among other watches but never take it surfing, I've seen him wear a Suunto during his surfing expeditions sometime back but he is not into digital watches anymore).

She would like the WUS here to help her by offering some choices from amongst which she might choose. She also open to buy a watch with a quartz movement if its a good quality one, although she said she would prefer an automatic.
    Check out Bathys Hawaii - a smaller operation. But they make some really interesting watches, and they definitely cater to the surfer community. Many (most) of their watches are offered in both automatic and quartz. Some good examples of their style / price.

http://www.bathyshawaii.com/

Benthic ($995), Auto:
    Attachment 1022937

100 Fathoms, Auto or quartz ($700, $400):

Attachment 1022939

Benthic Ti (only in quartz) ($545):

Attachment 1022940
    Last edited by TheWalrus; March 26th, 2013 at 04:16.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

If it can be big (47mm) then the Halios Puck!

Attachment 1022949

Attachment 1022950

Its also available in blue.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

+1 for Bathys. And unless he's adamant about having an automatic, I'd save the purchaser some coin and spring for the quartz. It'd be a little more reliable and accurate under the stress of repeated high-impacts with waves and the like.
    Last edited by dinexus; March 26th, 2013 at 04:29.

Get him something with screwbars not springbars, I've lost a Fortis, a Luminox and yes, a Bathys surfing. I'm loving my CWC auto with fixed bars right now. The 40mm Helson Shark Diver is great too. If he goes hard, he'll need the security.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Tapatalk 2
    Flippito ergo sum - I flip therefore I am

Reactor

To be honest, I wouldn't even use a dive watch for surfing. They are far to large and bulky, not to mention complete overkill.

Most watches that aren't "dive" watches will hold up fine for surfing.

This is the watch that I have worn the the last 13 years for surfing.

Last edited by Blubaru703; March 26th, 2013 at 05:51.

Thanks for quick replies guys. @johnnmiller1 - I really appreciate your advise against springbars. I too surf occasionally and I've lost a g-shock when I crashed through a sharply rising wave (the strap just came off). And yeah...I fell off my surf board too...sigh :( I am not an expert surfer like my sis's husband.

Thanks @"TheWalrus" and "dinexus"The Bathy too sounds good, although I would prefer the Helson shark diver. Is the Helson under 42mm btw?

@Mr.Panerai---my sis really loves the Halios Puck (I agree its absolutely gorgeous) but I think it would look more like a bracelet than a watch on him at 47mm :)

Oh btw...I forgot to tell, the watch has to be less 42mm coz he's got pretty small wrists @ around 6.5 inches.
    Last edited by dannyking; March 26th, 2013 at 06:15. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by Blubaru703 View Post
    To be honest, I wouldn't even use a dive watch for surfing. They are far to large and bulky, not to mention complete overkill.

Most watches that aren't "dive" watches will hold up fine for surfing.

This is the watch that I have worn the the last 13 years for surfing.

I really like that watch. If I see correctly it looks like a watch made for surfers with dials like Tide Height, tide range, and moon phase. Btw..whats it's water resistance.

WnS

I'm content with my watch collection

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information