Suggestions for an everyday watch
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Suggestions for an everyday watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hi all, I'm new to this watch bug, and I've been lurking here and elsewhere for a few months, trying to look for the perfect watch. I'm starting to feel that it doesn't exist.
    Here's what I'm looking for:

Price: $500-$1300
    Movement: Automatic
    Features: Day/date, chronograph
    Band: Bracelet

I realise that within that budget, my best choice is probably Tissot or Hamilton. But having looked through all of their catalogues, none really spoke to me. Brand-wise, I'm very fond of Nomos, Sinn and Victorinox, but a lot of them are over my budget, and again, none really jumped out and screamed "you must have me!"

On the other hand, when I saw some of the Citizen eco-drive chronographs, I loved the look. But being quartz, it's not what I'm looking for.

I'm not looking for a dress watch or a dive watch (although a dive watch is not out of the question), but a more sporty yet stylish watch.

I know I'm being difficult, but I really want to get a watch that I love and want to wear for years and years. So I'm hoping that you guys, much more knowledgable and horologically wiser than me, could shine some light on my seemingly dead-end search. I'm particularly hoping that I would be introduced to some lesser-known brands.

Please help a poor soul!

Re: Suggestions for an everyday watch

Find a watch that speaks to you first and then worry about the price.
    jah likes this.
    Current:

Citizen Titanium ???
    Omega DeVille 431.30.41.21.01.001
    Omega Speedmaster 3577.50.00
    Previous:

Citizen Eco Drive AP1024-56P
    Citizen Eco Drive BL8000-54A / -03A
    Citizen Eco Drive BM6590-53A

Hamilton Jazzmaster H32565555
    Hamilton Jazzmaster H32565735
    Omega Seamaster 2201.51.00
    Previous Continued:

Omega Speedmaster 3576.50.00
    RLT Watch Co. RTL-13

Rotary GS00005/06-ABT02M
    Rotary GS90021/21

Tissot Ballade III T031.410.11.033.00
    Tissot PRC-100 T008.417.44.061.00
    Wants:

Nothing.

Hamilton Khaki range is great and features pieces that aren't dress or divers but somewhere in the middle. Victorinox should be in your budget? Look at Christopher Ward they off excellent value/quality ratio - but with CW you might have to go for either dive or dress. Davosa also do some really nice watches that are similar in price to CW/Hamilton/Tissot.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Guinand is Helmut Sinn's current brand with budget chronographs
    GUINAND - Front-Page
    unsub073 likes this.

This is kind of my standard answer:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/than...ic-734552.html

May not be what you're looking for, but have a look.

EDIT: Scratch that, didn't see DAY/date or chronograph requirement. Haven't had coffee yet.
    Last edited by ken_sturrock; March 20th, 2013 at 15:08.

A Swiss chronograph in this price range will use an ETA 7750 movement which is day and date too. Start there. Christopher Ward, Hamilton, UHR - all 7750-based for <$1300.
    Nokie likes this.

My first suggestion is the NOMOS Club (white or black). But if that doesn't speak to you, look for pre-owned Sinn. There's a Sinn 356 and a 103 ST TY (both great everyday wearers, IMO) on the FS page right now that are just within budget. Not mine, no connection, etc.

Other choices are pre-owned Automatic Speedmasters, Seamasters, and the like.
    Daily wearer: Squale 50 Atmos. I have owned: Blancpain Leman Ultra Slim, Bremont Supermarine, IWC 818-AD, IWC Ingenieur Automatic, IWC Ingenieur Vintage Collection, IWC Mark XVI, IWC Pilot's Chrono, Jaeger LeCoultre Master Control, Laco Aachen, Mühle Glashütte M12, NOMOS Glashütte Orion Weiss, Omega Seamaster Sword Hands 2254.50 (x2), Omega Speedmaster Pro (x2), Orient Excursionist, Precista PRS-18A, Rolex Oyster Speedking, Schofield Signalman DLC GMT PR, Seiko SKX007K2, Sinn 756, Squale 50 Atmos (x2), Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military, Tudor Black Bay Noir, Tudor Oyster-Prince ("Big Rose"), Zenith Captain Central Seconds

A little above budget at around 1350usd (+150 for bracelet), but German, 7750 elabore and sapphire. Christopher Ward is a good suggestion too.

Edit: sorry didn't notice OP wanted day/date too - another one needing his caffeine
    Last edited by jt67; March 20th, 2013 at 16:27.

Quote Originally Posted by tobitas View Post
    Guinand is Helmut Sinn's current brand with budget chronographs
    GUINAND - Front-Page
    Did not know about this brand! Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by box handler View Post
    My first suggestion is the NOMOS Club (white or black). But if that doesn't speak to you, look for pre-owned Sinn. There's a Sinn 356 and a 103 ST TY (both great everyday wearers, IMO) on the FS page right now that are just within budget. Not mine, no connection, etc.

Other choices are pre-owned Automatic Speedmasters, Seamasters, and the like.
    Nomos and Sinn are brands I adore, and will eventually get. They are over my budget for now though, as I would prefer new. Sinn 103 looks great!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information