Suggestions for first time mechanical watch purchase
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mpalmer
  • 1 Post By Heljestrand
  • 1 Post By sticky

Thread: Suggestions for first time mechanical watch purchase

Suggestions for first time mechanical watch purchase

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm looking to purchase my first mechanical watch, and I've been coming here for a couple of months trying to glean as much information as possible to make sure I purchase a good watch, that will become something I could hand down to my kids. Also, from what I can see, there seem to be huge differences in prices for identical watches depending where you purchase them from, so any assistance you could give me regarding where to purchase from would be greatly appreciated. I live in Australia, so we don't seem to have the same choice as other parts of the world.

I'd appreciate any help you could give me in regards to suggestions for a good first buy. I have approx US$600-700 to spend and I've been looking at Tissot or Hamilton (but happy to look elsewhere). If possible in that price range, the watch would have sapphire glass, date function (at a minimum), an ETA 2892.A2 movement and some of the movement exposed so you can see it working. Any additional features/complications over and above that would be great of course :) I realise I may not be able to get all this, but just thought it is a good place to start.

Some watches I've looked at along the way - Tissot T099.427.11.038.00 T-Classic Chemin Des Tourelles Auto Chronograph, T086.408.16.051.00 T-Classic Luxury Automatic Gent COSC, T0554271705700 T-Sport PRC 200 Auto Chronograph, T035.428.11.051.00 T-Classic Couturier Automatic Gent Small Second.

Thanks in advance,

Mac.

Re: Suggestions for first time mechanical watch purchase

Welcome to the forums! If you can raise the budget $100-200, Stowa, Nivrel, and Limes are great options. Archimede is within your stated budget.
    Heljestrand likes this.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Have a look at the Melbourne Watch Co.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Seriously take your time and visit some Authorized Dealers to try on watches for SIZE alone. Keep in mind not only the dial measurement to include the crown but also the thickness of the case and especially the lug to lug distance so as not to have ones that overhang your wrist. See what size suits you the very best ON THE WRIST and in the metal. It is perfectly fine to try on various brands so that you get a feel for what is out there. Once you find out your magic formula for your wrist as far as size goes you can view MOST watches on Google images if there is not an AD near you. Keep in mind that dial size and rotating bezel or not can make a watch wear bigger or smaller than stated measured size. Come on over to the German forum here at WUS if you haven't already. You might find some choices that otherwise you would miss if you view only the "usual suspects" entry level Swiss or Mid Tier Japanese. Best of luck and enjoy the hunt!
    mpalmer likes this.
    MIKE

No matter what you finally settle on both Tissot and Hamilton make some fine watches.
    rfortson likes this.

With your budget (the high end of it) try Steinhart's Ocean 2 premium model. It has the exhibition case back and a decorated movement and has a very cool layered dial. The movement itself is an ETA 2824 standard grade. It's not super exciting but your service costs will be quite reasonable down the road.

When you see the price you can take 20% off as it is advertised with German VAT. You'll pay a bit for shipping and customs. If you are in the US I think it is quite low. I had a very good experience with their customer service who contacted DPD (a German UPS company) to give them specific directions to my flat.
    Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79220N
    Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Master Co-axial (Blue)

Next on the docket
    Doxa Sub 1200t Professional

Welcome to the community. For a couple of hundred more bucks you can look at Frederique Constant. They do some models with exposed movements, but you might need to look at older,models if you are really hung up on ETA movemen, as they are using Sellitas on their newer offerings. Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by olaff; January 1st, 2016 at 19:45.
    Is it wine o'clock yet?

Hamilton Intra-Matic, Frederique Constant Carree, Steinhart Ocean One, Orient Bambino, Seiko SARG011, Orient Curator, Seiko SKX009, Oris Caliver 96 (vintage), Sinn 556i

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    Welcome to the forums! If you can raise the budget $100-200, Stowa, Nivrel, and Limes are great options. Archimede is within your stated budget.
    Stowa and Archimede are out afaik, no 2892-2.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Thank you all for your help and welcoming me to the forums! I will looks at your brand suggestions and also try on various watches as suggested by Heljestrand.

@olaff I'm not attached to the ETA movements. Just when trying to learn enough about mechanical watches so I don't make a dud purchase, there was a general consensus in the forum posts and articles I read that it was a good movement.

Thread Information