Suggestions to get hired at a watch shop
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Suggestions to get hired at a watch shop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Suggestions to get hired at a watch shop

I want to work at a store like Tourneau, Wempe or really any watch shop.

Does anyone have advice on the best way to get hired? Should I do a ton of research on different brands before I even ask?

Btw I live in NYC, am 25 and don't really have any sales experience.

Re: Suggestions to get hired at a watch shop

I dont think there are many qualifications except to know how to sell and have a basic knowledge of the watches. I have been in Tourneau and i think sometimes i know more than they do.

But good sales and people skills is a must. I am a long decider (probably the worst kind of customer to salesperson) and I would go back several times to look at something before i buy. If i walk in and the sales guy try to hard sell me or ignore me when they know i am not buying right away, i tend not to go back to the store.

You don't need any, just apply. You'll need to be well groomed and have dark suits, the glamour you think that
    job has will quickly fade away.

The longer your able to stray, the more 'jaded' you'll get.
    Last edited by Watchbreath; February 1st, 2012 at 22:33.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    the glamour you think that
    job has will quickly fade away.
    Hey, let the kid learn first hand what it's like to deal with the public in retail.

There is a program in Neuchetel, Switzerland at the home WOSTEP for educating sales people. Check it out as this is a very beautiful place in a very historic watch location. Here is a link to the class schedule:
    http://www.wostep.ch/data/files/Know...20products.pdf

It would look very good on a resume as it is an expensive two days but shows you are serious. Maybe make it part of a vacation. Been there and got the
    t-shirt. I actually took the two year course in Seattle.

Yep, plus a major change in attitude on watch forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodler View Post
    Hey, let the kid learn first hand what it's like to deal with the public in retail.

Why on earth would you want to work in a watch retail store?
    You'd have endless WIS types looking down at you for not knowing about every single watch ever produced and that you'll only ever be a lowly sales person who can't afford the products you're selling. Then there'll be asses who come in just to stroke watches when it's your turn while the next customer, a real buyer, gets served by the next guy. To make things worse, this guy you're entertaining then makes a fuss about you not serving him properly and then, when you tell him the price of what he's looking at, he'll get offended when all you wanted to know, was what he was looking to spend so you could recommend something that might interest him.

Better stay on forums and laugh/ridicule/insult sales assistants instead.
    rider108 and Armchair like this.

Thoughts for the day:
    facts, experience, opinion - figure which yours is before you start typing
    DM's Ghetto Watch Polishing Guide

If you are an outgoing people type who can engage customers, are knowlegable about watches but not a technical expert, can interpret what they say and be willing to follow up on serious visits then a commission sales job could be for you. You will likely receive a salary to start which will quickly switch to base income plus commission.

They will likely give you an employee discount on watches but there may be a waiting period before it is available.
    Last edited by John MS; February 1st, 2012 at 23:12.

ok... in all seriousness, when it comes to sales, what really matters is how you present yourself and how you interact with people.

In terms of increasing your chances I would say it wouldn't hurt to do a little research on what they sell but ultimately what they want is a salesperson and being a fan of watches and knowing about them isn't all that makes a good salesperson. It might make help when it comes to answering customer questions but I'm not too sure if I would want a "watch fanboy" on a sales-team so don't put too much emphasis on it. The usual finding out about the company is always a good thing; what they sell, who they sell to, what do they sell the most of etc. and this might seem obvious but find out what the job actually entails. Selling high value goods isn't like selling beer at a kiosk; there may be warranties, insurance, credit checks etc etc to deal with and so asking what you'd be responsible for during interview is a good way to show you're serious about it.

In short, I would say find out more about the job and less about the watches.

Thoughts for the day:
    facts, experience, opinion - figure which yours is before you start typing
    DM's Ghetto Watch Polishing Guide

That course looks interesting albeit a little on the expensive side.
    It would have no use in my career but I'd still take it if I could.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information