Suggestions for a large, busy dial auto?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Suggestions for a large, busy dial auto?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Member Bulldozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    737

    Confused Suggestions for a large, busy dial auto?

    Looking for a mechanical watch for a friend. Requirements are:

    1. Large case (44mm or greater) and wears large (huge wrist presence / thin bezel)
    2. Dial as busy and "funky" as possible
    3. Preferably has something to do with motorsports
    4. Preferably <$500, max $750 (all street prices)

    If there was an automatic or hand-wind version of this watch, it would have been just perfect:

    (Copyright: The excellent blogger at ablogtoread.com. What a good blog that is.)
    Last edited by Bulldozer; November 26th, 2011 at 01:39. Reason: type-oh

  2. #2
    Member Metlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,149

    Re: Suggestions for a large, busy dial auto?

    Not automatics, but hey, they do fit the loud and big categories:












  3. #3
    Member Bulldozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    737

    Re: Suggestions for a large, busy dial auto?

    No, no, no, no, no! It is like when I want to introduce someone to classical music and looking for something that is not boring to a pop music lover to ease the transition, I'm asked to suggest metallica because it is not boring!

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member CitizenM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fort Worth, Waco & Norman
    Posts
    10,228

    Re: Suggestions for a large, busy dial auto?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Lyndon View Post
    No, no, no, no, no! It is like when I want to introduce someone to classical music and looking for something that is not boring to a pop music lover to ease the transition, I'm asked to suggest metallica because it is not boring!
    Harsh dude

  6. #5
    Member Bulldozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    737

    Re: Suggestions for a large, busy dial auto?

    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenM View Post
    Harsh dude
    Oh sorry. Apologies Metlin. I wrote that only in the spirit of good humor. That's the problem with textual communication. It is one dimensional. I should have added a smiley. Thanks for the suggestions anyway!
    Last edited by Bulldozer; November 26th, 2011 at 05:20.
    CitizenM likes this.

  7. #6
    Member CitizenM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Fort Worth, Waco & Norman
    Posts
    10,228

    Re: Suggestions for a large, busy dial auto?

    I really doubt you're going to find some crazy complex automatic at $600. For 1-3k, there are some real options, and the stuff that fits you better, i.e., a Zenith Chronomaster Open Grande Date you might be able to get for 8k.

    The only promising models I can think of are maybe the Seiko Premier 6R20 and the Oris Complication. Maybe the Oris F1.
    Name:  19d9560a7cb31a341590f3ef.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  101.9 KB
    Name:  546595d1320073987-white-face-moonphase-vintage-case-look-recommendations-8e620e9eb05c4f3a2d01774.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  177.0 KB
    Name:  actu_1688-1246478181.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  45.3 KB
    I know they're not a perfect fit, but you're asking the impossible, unless you're willing to go Chinese, in which case, you could probably do ok.

    If you're willing to bump up your willingness to pay 10x, you should look at that Zenith and the RS36
    Name:  tagheuer.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  76.4 KB
    Name:  NEW+COLLECTION+-+ZENITH+-+CHRONOMASTER+2009+OPEN+GRANDE+DATE+MOON+%u002526+SUNPHASE+BLACK+DIAL.jpg
Views: 1781
Size:  24.7 KB

    But yeah, I guess my best advice is to wait for a sea gull expert to come around to this thread and show you some models in your range.

  8. #7
    Member novedl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    baltimore. MD
    Posts
    11,474

    Re: Suggestions for a large, busy dial auto?

    I've seen the Swiss army aplanch automatic chronograph (44mm) for under $800... The prices for this piece are all over the place though. It may be an option.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

  9. #8
    Member Metlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,149

    Re: Suggestions for a large, busy dial auto?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Lyndon View Post
    Oh sorry. Apologies Metlin. I wrote that only in the spirit of good humor. That's the problem with textual communication. It is one dimensional. I should have added a smiley. Thanks for the suggestions anyway!
    It's all good! I was only being semi-serious.

    Most of my watches look like this, so those Diesels aren't my cup of tea, either. However, they do fit the bill of what you're looking for.

  10. #9
    Member Bulldozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    737

    Re: Suggestions for a large, busy dial auto?

    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenM View Post
    Name:  actu_1688-1246478181.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  45.3 KB
    I know they're not a perfect fit.
    The Oris F1 is almost perfect at 42 x 12 mm and only slightly higher than the budget! It is even related to Williams F1 team, since that matters. Thanks a lot for posting this particular picture. I'd seen Oris F1 before and ruled them out to be too simple. Evidently, I wasn't looking at the entire range. This one looks pretty good indeed.
    CitizenM likes this.

  11. #10
    Member Bulldozer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    737

    Re: Suggestions for a large, busy dial auto?

    Quote Originally Posted by novedl View Post
    I've seen the Swiss army aplanch automatic chronograph (44mm) for under $800... The prices for this piece are all over the place though. It may be an option.
    Thanks will check it out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Metlin View Post
    It's all good! I was only being semi-serious.

    Most of my watches look like this, so those Diesels aren't my cup of tea, either. However, they do fit the bill of what you're looking for.
    Oh good! Nice Patek btw.
    CitizenM likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •