suggestions on a new watches for my upcoming nuptials?

Thread: suggestions on a new watches for my upcoming nuptials?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

suggestions on a new watches for my upcoming nuptials?

It's almost time for me to buy again and I'd like the counsel of the wise members here.

My budget ~$3,000 per watch
    New/Used =no preference, though, here's the sticky part, I need 2 of whichever watch i get, so some of the more difficult to find vintage pieces may have to be left out this round
    Diameter= no larger than 42mm...unless there is a model that comes in different sizes, in which case a 44/40 would be fine.
    Dial= white, black, or silver/grey.

style= nothing too sporty, I'm looking for classic and timeless without being too boring. An additional complication beyond a regular 3 hand watch would do the trick for sure. As an example of what appeals (but is well beyond my budget) JLC Master Control & (some) Reversos, IWC Portuguese, Glashutte Original (almost any one of their models...sigh), the rereleased Zenith chronos...

No need for a date window/pointer. I'd prefer applied indicies, but that's not a deal breaker.

I'd be more inclined toward brands that don't have the street recognition of an Omega or a Rolex; I'm cool with WIS recognition though, I just don't want to enter into conversations which start with 'is that fake/expensive/etc.' with friends or family given they won't/cant understand/afford spending anything beyond $50 on a watch (they may have a point...lol)

band= leather.

movement=mechanical; in my dreams an in-house...

These watches will be mine and my wife's wedding rings, so to speak, for our wedding this summer. I figure to have ~6k saved by then, but if things go well, it might be a bit more, but not too much more.

Any and all suggestions will be entertained. I've also thought about either birth year watches (1977) or watches from the year we began dating (2000), but I've found it difficult to search for watches by year.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Chris.
    Last edited by cp_ste.croix; January 2nd, 2011 at 19:10. Reason: clarification
    Chris
    Glashutte Original Panomaticluna XL, Doxa Sharkhunter GMT, Seiko Monster Mod, Dwatch, Longines Legend Diver, Hamilton Maestro, Vostok Expedition, Volmax Aviator Flying Tank, Vostok Lunokhod, Custom PAM Homage, Nixon Mahogany Rotolog, St Mortiz Storm Chronograph

Re: suggestions on a new watches for my upcoming nuptials?

I assume the wife's watch doesn't need to be 42mm? Does her's need to be mechanical?

What color will your wedding bands be? Yellow gold or white gold/platinum?
    Last edited by mr_raider; January 2nd, 2011 at 20:23.

Hers should be mechanical as well...she's not a fan of most women's watches so I figured a pair of men's watches would do. Hers doesn't have to be 42mm, but 42 is as big as she'd be able to go.

We're actually not doing wedding bands at all, the watches are a replacement...though there will be no "with this watch I thee wed..."
    Chris
    Glashutte Original Panomaticluna XL, Doxa Sharkhunter GMT, Seiko Monster Mod, Dwatch, Longines Legend Diver, Hamilton Maestro, Vostok Expedition, Volmax Aviator Flying Tank, Vostok Lunokhod, Custom PAM Homage, Nixon Mahogany Rotolog, St Mortiz Storm Chronograph

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That's a really nice and interesting idea.
    I have no suggestions at the moment I'm afraid but I look forward to seeing what others come up with. Naturally I can't wait to see pics of the happy couple (the watches I mean).
    Ball | Bulova | Casio | CWC | HMT | Invicta | Nomos | Omega | Orient | Rolex | Seagull | Seiko | Shanghai | Timex | Vostok

i'll be sure to post pics of whatever we get...the wedding is in June, so we're doing the research now.
    Chris

First off, congrats on your upcoming nuptuals. How about a couple of Nomos watches? They are dressy and have beautiful in house movements, maybe a bit on the smallish side but I´ve read that they wear bigger due to the very thin bezel. Personally, I love the Tangomat NOMOS Glashütte: Startpage

Good luck with your search.
    Rotation
    Omega Speedmaster Date
    Oris F1 Day Date
    Tag Heuer F1 Grande Date
    Luminox F-117 Evo
    Tissot Quadratto Chrono

First of all, congratulations.

Second of all, why not something with some recognition? I think a pair of Omega Aqua Terras (41.5mm) might be just over your price range (I've seen prices of $3500, but I don't know what they're going for at ADs), but they are beautiful watches that are fit to last a lifetime (or at least seven years....good luck on that! ).

If you're set on something that won't get spotted on the street, I do understand. I'm assuming something like Grand Seiko might be up your alley, but I'm not familiar with the model line, so I couldn't give you a specific recommendation. Personally, I'd also look at Hamilton; you'll likely come in way under budget if you look at the Jazzmaster line, but you'll find something beautiful and well made.
    Last edited by Raza; January 3rd, 2011 at 16:42.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Oh, fantastic choices. I don't know why I blanked on Longines. I'm not really a dress watch guy, so when I think Longines, I think Grand Vitesse and Hydroconquest.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

v76

Quote Originally Posted by cp_ste.croix View Post
    It's almost time for me to buy again and I'd like the counsel of the wise members here.

My budget ~$3,000 per watch
    New/Used =no preference, though, here's the sticky part, I need 2 of whichever watch i get, so some of the more difficult to find vintage pieces may have to be left out this round
    Diameter= no larger than 42mm...unless there is a model that comes in different sizes, in which case a 44/40 would be fine.
    Dial= white, black, or silver/grey.

style= nothing too sporty, I'm looking for classic and timeless without being too boring. An additional complication beyond a regular 3 hand watch would do the trick for sure. As an example of what appeals (but is well beyond my budget) JLC Master Control & (some) Reversos, IWC Portuguese, Glashutte Original (almost any one of their models...sigh), the rereleased Zenith chronos...

No need for a date window/pointer. I'd prefer applied indicies, but that's not a deal breaker.

I'd be more inclined toward brands that don't have the street recognition of an Omega or a Rolex; I'm cool with WIS recognition though, I just don't want to enter into conversations which start with 'is that fake/expensive/etc.' with friends or family given they won't/cant understand/afford spending anything beyond $50 on a watch (they may have a point...lol)

band= leather.

movement=mechanical; in my dreams an in-house...

These watches will be mine and my wife's wedding rings, so to speak, for our wedding this summer. I figure to have ~6k saved by then, but if things go well, it might be a bit more, but not too much more.

Any and all suggestions will be entertained. I've also thought about either birth year watches (1977) or watches from the year we began dating (2000), but I've found it difficult to search for watches by year.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Chris.
    A Seiko SAGK003 for the missus ...

And a SAGK007 for you ... ?

(both images borrowed)

Or, vice-versa. Should be less than $6000, combined. Of course, it won't work (strictly speaking) as a dress watch, but seeing that as you are open to the choice of a chronograph ...
    Last edited by v76; January 3rd, 2011 at 20:19.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information