Suggestions/Opinions for a new member

Thread: Suggestions/Opinions for a new member

Suggestions/Opinions for a new member

Hi All

I have been lurking around this forum for a few months now ever since I discovered the world of G-Shocks. Since then, I now own 4 G's and half bought another 4 as gifts.

My girlfriend has flirted with the idea that she will buy me a "decent" watch for my coming up birth (not that G's aren't "decent", she loves them just as much as i do as has her own baby-G).

I initially fell in love with the Doxa 1000/1200, being a huge Clice Clussler fan, and am not sure why, as it is a fairly unique design. I also do not mind the bright orange face, as my G-Shocks are just as loud.

I have also stumbled upon the Omega Seamaster 300m Quartz (I do not think automatic is an option because of the price), whick I think looks quite good and I've heard is quite popular.

So far I have only been looking at diving watched, not because I dive or plan to, but I just like the look.

So I guess what I would like are suggestions for the following criteria

- around $1500 US (brand new only since its a pressie)
    - not too big (i think the size of the Doxa 1000/1200 for Omega 300m
    - preferbly metal band but not necessary (I would like a dress watch down the track)
    - a fairly recogniseable name (sorry, i just like brand-name things. I am aware that there a many good quality brands that I have not heard of, but I would like to stick to something I have heard of)
    - European made

I might add more when I have learnt more about about watches.

I have done searches and there are threads of the same topic, but I would like an updated version due to any new models or price changes.

Also, I would like to point out and mention that there is also the possibilty that I might not get a watch either might get something completely different as my present, so I would like to apologise in advance if I waste anybody's time.

Thanks for reading my life story.

Cheers

v76

Re: Suggestions/Opinions for a new member

A Sinn U1 or a Seiko MM300, perhaps? I'm not a diver watch kind of guy, and you'll get plenty of suggestions from others. I think both options might just stretch your budget a wee bit, but you may be able to get either for under $1500 with a nice discount from your friendly neighborhood AD.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Goonie_ View Post
    Hi All

I have been lurking around this forum for a few months now ever since I discovered the world of G-Shocks. Since then, I now own 4 G's and half bought another 4 as gifts.

My girlfriend has flirted with the idea that she will buy me a "decent" watch for my coming up birth (not that G's aren't "decent", she loves them just as much as i do as has her own baby-G).

I initially fell in love with the Doxa 1000/1200, being a huge Clice Clussler fan, and am not sure why, as it is a fairly unique design. I also do not mind the bright orange face, as my G-Shocks are just as loud.

I have also stumbled upon the Omega Seamaster 300m Quartz (I do not think automatic is an option because of the price), whick I think looks quite good and I've heard is quite popular.

So far I have only been looking at diving watched, not because I dive or plan to, but I just like the look.

So I guess what I would like are suggestions for the following criteria

- around $1500 US (brand new only since its a pressie)
    - not too big (i think the size of the Doxa 1000/1200 for Omega 300m
    - preferbly metal band but not necessary (I would like a dress watch down the track)
    - a fairly recogniseable name (sorry, i just like brand-name things. I am aware that there a many good quality brands that I have not heard of, but I would like to stick to something I have heard of)
    - European made

I might add more when I have learnt more about about watches.

I have done searches and there are threads of the same topic, but I would like an updated version due to any new models or price changes.

Also, I would like to point out and mention that there is also the possibilty that I might not get a watch either might get something completely different as my present, so I would like to apologise in advance if I waste anybody's time.

Thanks for reading my life story.

Cheers
    Before diving into the world of pricey dive watches take a look at some of the more reasonably priced good looking dives from Seiko. The Seiko Citizen forum on WUS will have lots of ideas, but the Seiko SKX779 is a classic automatic dive watch and can be had for less than USD200.00

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

My personal position would be to get yourself over to the DOXA website and order a 1000T for under $1500 while they last.

That said, what do you want in a watch? If the name on the dial (and the history associated with that name) is important to you, then you'll want to look at DOXA, Omega, Seiko among others. Definitely head over to http://www.seiyajapan.com/ and check out his divers. Some great Seiko watches you won't necessarily find in North America for decent prices.

That said, if the name and history of a watch isn't important, also be sure to check out some of the micro brands out there. For $1500 you can get a really capable dive watch that's also rare. Bathys (http://www.bathyswatch.com/ )makes a great dive watch, for instance and seems to be very well respected on the forum: http://storesense2.megawebservers.co...Categories.bok

In any case, head down to the dive watch section and take a look around. This is one area in the watch field that definitely does not suffer from a lack of choices or options. There are a lot of funky, small, companies producing great, highly capable watches at very reasonable prices, and there are a lot of well respected and historied brands which have adorned the wrists of some of our greatest explorers.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Thread Information