Suggestions please. Solid, small, water repellent
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By npulaski

Thread: Suggestions please. Solid, small, water repellent

Suggestions please. Solid, small, water repellent

Hi-
    I had been loving wearing my Hamilton Boulton quartz reissue for active pursuits and clinical exams.
    Name:  H13331553_FSA.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  60.6 KB
    That is until I wore it in the rain. Ouch! Can anyone think of something similar but with some additional water repellency(sp?)? Ideally it would be $250 or under. Thanks!

Re: Suggestions please. Solid, small, water repellent

How about a Citizen Eco-Drive BM6788-05A? 30m water resistance, $150, and you'll never have to change the battery.

Most Citizen models have decent water resistance, although they don't have many rectangular case options.

GlennO and Gary123 like this.
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50 | Omega Seamaster 300 165.024 | Nomos Orion Ref. 309 | Helson Shark Diver 40 v2 (white)
    Seiko MM300 SBDX001 | Seiko Alpinist SARB017 | Seiko 5 SNK803 | Citizen EcoDrive Calibre 8700 | Citizen 8110 Bullhead

Citizen has some rectangular 'Stiletto' models. They won't have quite the same retro appeal but they will at least have some water resistance.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the Citizens. I see that it is 20mm band width. Maybe a little big. The main thing that I like about the above Hammy is that it is so small. It is almost like I am not wearing a watch. I don't have to worry about catching it on anyone's skin. I am open to any type of design. I really want to find something that is almost miniscule. Thanks!

Sorry, no definite suggestions (I do like the Hammy, though) but if you want small could have a look at women's watches in a similar style? Not all so called 'women's watches' are for women, or overly small. With the modern fad for larger and larger cases for men, women's sizes are often what men's sizes used to be not all that long ago. I prefer smaller diameter cases (ie 34-36mm) and have often been tempted (ie Davosa have a lovely women's 34mm ETA handwound)

If you want a smaller watch then look at women's watches. As Barry says if it's a large watch manufacturers call it a 'gents' watch and if it's smaller they often call it a 'ladies' watch.

Christopher Ward might have a few models that could meet your needs.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Your basic Seiko 5 is 37mm wide and has an 18mm band width. A Timex Camper is absurdly affordable and 34mm wide.
    Seiko Men's SNK809 "Seiko 5" Automatic Watch with Black Canvas Strap: Watches: Amazon.comTimex Men's T18581 Camper Watch (Black): Watches: Amazon.com

I know that the suggestions of a ladies' watch has come up, but here are a few other questions I'd like to ask:

1. Are you a woman? This is the internet, we can't always tell by username. If so, there are still a great number of women's watches that are small.
    2. Do you want a watch with a similar aesthetic to your old Hamilton?
    3. What is your budget?
    4. Are there any other special circumstances under which you'll be wearing it? (Such as swimming; 30m water resistance would do fine for the rain, but many wouldn't trust it enough to be submerged)
    5. How old was your Hamilton when it let water in? Over time, the seals and o-rings and what not that keep a watch water resistant crack and fail.

I think that would help us with informed suggestions.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Your basic Seiko 5 is 37mm wide and has an 18mm band width. A Timex Camper is absurdly affordable and 34mm wide.
    Seiko Men's SNK809 "Seiko 5" Automatic Watch with Black Canvas Strap: Watches: Amazon.comTimex Men's T18581 Camper Watch (Black): Watches: Amazon.com

I know that the suggestions of a ladies' watch has come up, but here are a few other questions I'd like to ask:

1. Are you a woman? This is the internet, we can't always tell by username. If so, there are still a great number of women's watches that are small.
    2. Do you want a watch with a similar aesthetic to your old Hamilton?
    3. What is your budget?
    4. Are there any other special circumstances under which you'll be wearing it? (Such as swimming; 30m water resistance would do fine for the rain, but many wouldn't trust it enough to be submerged)
    5. How old was your Hamilton when it let water in? Over time, the seals and o-rings and what not that keep a watch water resistant crack and fail.

I think that would help us with informed suggestions.

Hi-
    1. I am a man.
    2. Pretty open. I like interesting. Silver dials work. The Hammy would still be great if it had not let water in during a rain storm I was stuck in. I will almost definitly be wearing it on leather though.
    3. ~$150
    4. For Tai Chi Chaun I like to have something ultra light to refer to. General water resistance. Exercise in the rain...would be nice to have some assurance
    5. Not sure age of Hammy. It was a $75 ebay purchase that turned into a category of watches for me. Ultra low profile, feel like it is barely there, light watch. I still might send the Hammy to ETA for a spa treatment.
    Last edited by hrossroth; October 10th, 2013 at 13:17.

Thread Information