Suggestions for a sub $1000 dress watch
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Suggestions for a sub $1000 dress watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Suggestions for a sub $1000 dress watch

Hey guys, hows it going?

So its pappa bears (dads) 60th this year and I wan to get him a nice watch, problem is he's quite picky on what he likes and what he doesn't. I've had a look around and found a few possibilities but wouldn't mind knowing if I have missed anything... My budget is under a $1k so as to increase my possibilities. I've reached out to you guys for suggestions before and you did a stellar job! So here's the criteria;

Case: Over all the watch must be two tone and classy. He is a classy man who takes pride in himself and I would like this watch to reflect that. In this price bracket its going to have to be plated or PVD and that's fine. He has a small wrist and wouldn't want anything bigger than 40mm. And the bezel must be gold in colour. The two tone is a deal breaker for him (gold/steel). Something relatively thin would be great too.

Strap: This must be a fine linked bracelet, again two tone. Ill post some pictures of what I have found so far that fit the bill, as I find it hard to explain. Rolex styled jubilee is fine as well.

Dial: A clean white, light cream or light silver dial here. Just simple and classic. No other complications apart from the time are necessary, if anything a small date window. He's a man who is practical and realistic. If he doesn't need it, he doesn't want it. Either plain or guiloched is fine. The hands don't matter too much. And preferably ROMAN NUMERALS. It's hard finding them but it would be preferable. No arabic numbers thanks.

Movement: Quartz. I'm a mechanical man but I think dad would find it a hindrance with the servicing, having to set it again if he hasn't worn in a bit etc etc. So yeah, quartz would be great. However if it is mechanical, no in house. ETA or another easily serviced brand is a must. This isn't a deal breaker.

Brand: A nice brand with a nice product is all I ask. Swiss or German would be best.

So that's about it, feel free to ask any other questions! Thanks heaps to anyone who took the time to read this and post a suggestion for me. Here are some I've found so far that tick most of the boxes;

EDIT: Round case most preferential.

Name:  grovana tradition.png
Views: 714
Size:  157.3 KBName:  longines-la-grande-classique.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  92.2 KBName:  Maurice Lacroix Les Classiques Date.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  52.2 KBName:  Raymond Weil Tango.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  39.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Julian Jackson; June 27th, 2013 at 19:07.

Re: Suggestions for a sub $1000 dress watch

Edox Les Bemonts Ultra Slim 39mm quartz on bracelet:
    Last edited by daschlag; June 27th, 2013 at 06:16.
    Nokie likes this.

I would certainly consider Japanese watches if I were looking for a quartz watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

With a $1K budget you can purchase him a gentleman's watch.. a vintage Cartier Tank in silver, gold-plated, quartz, roman numerals, white dial. I see one on Chrono24 within budget. Research the watch and the buyer carefully first of course. It has a leather strap though, but this certainly beats out any two-toned watch.

Cartier Tank for $.781 for sale from a Private seller on Chrono24

Kindest Regards,
    Portauto
    Rotation: IWC Portuguese 5001-09 7-Day; Glashütte Original PanoReserve; Rolex Oyster 6480 (1955); TAG Heuer 2000 Professional
    Sold: Seiko MarineMaster SBDX001; Omega Seamaster Professional; Steinhart Nav.B-Uhr II B-Type; Wilson Pilot with Sea-Gull ST36
    Older: Tissot Visodate Heritage 1957; Sea-Gull 819.315; Citizen Promaster Navitach JQ8020-52L; Casio DBC-61 Databank Digital (first watch)
    Daily Wear: Apple Watch Series 4 Hermes 40mm
    My Wife's: Cartier Tank Solo W5200005; Apple Watch Series 4 GPS 40mm

Some Citizen Exceed might work although there is no model with brace in two tones:
    Last edited by Orex; June 27th, 2013 at 08:05.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll look into them more and may even be able to find an after market bracelet for it. Funny you should mention a cartier tank, portauto, that is the one watch he cant stand I'm afraid. I've tried to sway his judgement but he just hates it :S

Have you considered pre-owned?

Quote Originally Posted by WatchKeeperGreg View Post
    Have you considered pre-owned?
    Sure have! Are there any pre-owned suggestions you've got? I saw a few constellations at a reasonable price.

Under $1k for a Swiss/German, pre-owned Constellation is probably your best bet.
    Last edited by wicked; June 29th, 2013 at 00:28.

Just to let you guys know, I ended up getting him the longines pictured in my OP from an AD at an excellent price :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information