Suggestions for watches with nice detailing (see OP for better explanation)?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sleepyhead123

Thread: Suggestions for watches with nice detailing (see OP for better explanation)?

Suggestions for watches with nice detailing (see OP for better explanation)?

So lately my tastes have been all over the map. For a little bit I was looking for a worldtimer, a moonphase, a tourbillon, etc, etc. However each have come and gone. One thing I have been interested in despite all this back and forth is nice detailing. I've lately become more and more enamored by the art instead of the mechanics. Unfortunately, that is not the easiest thing to look for in a watch. Mainly because I don't even know how to describe it. The best way I can is to give two examples.

The first is the Grand Seiko SBGA011, better known as the "Snowflake." Below is a link to Timeless Luxury Watches' review of it, with some good pictures.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/gran...w-1205410.html

The second is the Seiko SARW013. Below is a link to avt80's thread with some pictures.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/does...i-1672810.html

The Grand Seiko intrigues me with its dial, but also with little subtle features like on the power reserve meter, how on the "cliff" near the E/F markers are polished so they reflect the marker back.

The Presage's maki-e is also quite intriguing to me.

So basically I'm looking for a watch with interesting and nice detailing. Movement is not all that important in this case, other than it works. Mechanical would be nice, but quartz is fine as well. For budget, let's say anything below 8000 USD. I'm open to well below that, 100 USD if it's interesting enough.

I'm tempted to spring for both, but this time I'm actually going to sit on pulling the trigger for a bit given how quickly my collection has grown. So for now I'm soliciting ideas OUTSIDE of the Grand Seiko and the Presage. Other Seikos welcome.
    Domo likes this.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Swatch | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon |
    Waiting to be on deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

Re: Suggestions for watches with nice detailing (see OP for better explanation)?

Seiko may be not up to standards with lots of things.....Fitting sapphire crystals....regulating pricey watches......snappy date changes.....and so on, but if there's one thing EVERY Seiko excels in, it's in the DETAILING of the case and dial. There's no such thing as a flat looking or all printed or boring-cased Seiko, from a Seiko 5 to a Grand Seiko. You can't go wrong.

Re: Suggestions for watches with nice detailing (see OP for better explanation)?

Aww . . . only Domo responded? I was hoping for more options outside of Seiko.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Swatch | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The Maurice Lacroix Pontos Décentrique GMT has some nice detailing on the dial.

Name:  Maurice Lacroix Pontos Décentrique GMT 2006.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  610.6 KB
    Last edited by G. I.; April 7th, 2015 at 21:44.

Breguet Marine, Sarpaneva, Bremont Victory, Roger Dubuis, Jacquet Droz, Glashutte Original, Benzinger, Speake Marin & Armin Strom.
    Unfortunately you are a little late for the GS SBGE029 which I believe is already sold out but if you wait there may be other limited editions coming out.

$6K.....
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

The ML looks nice, though I do think it could do with a dash of color.

Quote Originally Posted by sea0bass View Post
    Breguet Marine, Sarpaneva, Bremont Victory, Roger Dubuis, Jacquet Droz, Glashutte Original, Benzinger, Speake Marin & Armin Strom.
    Unfortunately you are a little late for the GS SBGE029 which I believe is already sold out but if you wait there may be other limited editions coming out.
    A little outside the price range unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by little big feather View Post
    $6K.....
    I may have a black trenchcoat, but I'm not really all into the goth look . . .

Thread Information