The Summation of ~20 Years of WISness (or What’s Your Perfect Realistic (But Still Reach For The Sta
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: The Summation of ~20 Years of WISness (or What’s Your Perfect Realistic (But Still Reach For The Sta

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Summation of ~20 Years of WISness (or What’s Your Perfect Realistic (But Still Reach For The Sta

What’s your perfect “keep it realistic but still reach for the stars” collection?

No limitations on size or cost *within reason* (we can’t all have THE Paul Newman Daytona for instance). It could be 3 watches, 13 watches or 30+ watches if you wanted. Whatever makes you happy and fits with your specific life and lifestyle.

I ask because I’ve been thinking about this a LOT lately. My collection had gotten very lopsided and I needed to refocus. I’m very curious to see what people would choose for themselves.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• •

After nearly 20 years in this hobby I’ve finally got some clarity as to what I’d like my collection to look like long term. I’m reshuffling the deck toward that end, just sold 8 watches, and am focused on exactly which pieces I want to add.

The attached photo is the anatomy of a perfect personal collection in my book, living by Watch Nerd Rule No. 1. “Know thyself, and to thine own self be true.”

I know me. I work a very blue collar job. I’m a casual, classic, understated kind of guy with a focus on quality and value who constantly struggles to balance a desire for minimalism with an admiration of cool stuff. For me a perfect collection is relatively small (but not too small), thoughtful and intentional with a focus on quality and timeless style wherein each piece fulfills a specific role. With that said, these are my choices...

• EXPII - The EXPII is the ideal everyday/travel watch as it provides the date and easy 24-hour military time reference and GMT functionality for work or travel purposes.

• REVERSO - In particular, the Reverso Duo Travel Time serves as both a smart/dress watch and a classy travel alternative to the EXPII when the need arises, and gives me one haute horology piece.

• DJ41 - The Datejust 41 in blue is the perfect flashy-but-not-too-flashy splash of color with a fluted bezel and oyster bracelet for spring and summer. I want the larger 41 specifially because it makes it more sporty and less dressy.

• NOMOS - The Tangente 38 can class up any smart casual attire and adds German watchmaking into the lineup.

• SPEEDY - The Speedmaster is a legend and the natural choice for a casual sporty solution.

• SUB - The Submariner is the easy GADA watch, at home on wrist on any given weekend or beach vacation.

• KHAKI - The Hamilton is an excellent blue collar work watch to pair alongside the EXPII as it offers the date and an easy 24-hour military time reference. It also satisfies my want for a military-styled field/flieger piece.

• SKX - The iconic duo of the jubilee’d SKX009 and oyster’d SKX007 combo gets Seiko in the mix and provides the choice of color or a monochromatic look when I want a truly rugged mechanical tool watch that I don’t mind bashing about.

• G-SHOCK - The classic G-Shock DW5600 is a true beater in every sense of the word. Everyone should have one G-Shock IMO.

That’s the lineup I’m working toward. I still need to get the EXPII, Reverso and DJII (and am about to source a Nomos this week). The other six pieces I already own. This was a fun thought exercise and now I’ve got some definitive direction on which pieces to add next. Now it’s time to execute.

📸: EXPII photo by @bobswatches (which is where I’ll be shopping for a 16570), Datejust 41 photo by @monochromewatches, Nomos and JLC photos by their respective advertising departments, and all the rest by me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rolex Submariner 14060M // Rolex Datejust 16013 // Nomos Tangente 38 // Monta Skyquest GMT
    Omega Speedmaster Professional 3572.50 // Omega Seamaster Professional 2531.80
    Hamilton Khaki Automatic 38 // Seiko SKX007J // G-Shock DW5600MS-1

Re: The Summation of ~20 Years of WISness (or What’s Your Perfect Realistic (But Still Reach For The

I'm more of a "fly by the seat of my pants" collector. Always have been.
    My collection chooses it's own direction. I just buy what strikes me at the moment.

- - - Updated - - -

My collection chooses it's own direction. I just buy what strikes me at the moment.
    41Mets likes this.

Re: The Summation of ~20 Years of WISness (or What’s Your Perfect Realistic (But Still Reach For The

I am close with what I have at the moment... the two vintage 1920's watches far right will go though... the rectangular Rolex to be replaced by a Patek Gondolo 5111 and I am not sure about what to upgrade the Longines too but I think I need a mechanical alarm so maybe a Gerard Perrigaux or Favre Leuba or something....I am guessing a Lange minute repeater or something like that is always going to be a step beyond me.

Name:  20180813_130145.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  4.06 MB
    AP Royal Oak 14790, VC Overseas Chrono 49140, Rolex Submariner 16610, Omega Speedmaster 3570.50, Omega Seamaster 2561.80, JLC Master Moonphase 18ct white 140.3.98, Longines 1921 Manual wind, Cartier Pasha 18ct Yellow W3004856 , Rolex Extra Prima 9ct 1924, Seiko Cocktail Time SSA345J1

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yay another one :D
    I'll play.

Name:  51b9X8Qe-kL.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  32.2 KB
    because I can't imagine life without one.
    for GShock fans, this is the Grail

Name:  fliegercontemporary.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  206.7 KB
    my fav GADA that isn't a GShock
    it's minimalist, fairly tough, and WR to 20ATM
    and it's from a brand that I completely respect

Name:  Tudor-Black-Bay-Fifty-Eight-009.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  110.4 KB
    because you said "realistic" not $8,000 Rolex
    As much as I would like a Submariner, I'm actually too poor for that.
    This is far more doable. 95% of the watch for 30% of the cost

Name:  1636668.jpeg.transform.buying-options_watch_1000.jpeg
Views: 36
Size:  108.3 KB
    Expensive for what it is but I've always loved this watch.
    I have a Nomos Club instead but I will always love this one. It's limited edition sadly.

Name:  61nunIoBTLL._UL1500_1600x.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  50.0 KB
    Everyone needs just one GOOD quartz
    either that or
    Name:  sbgv207g.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  44.5 KB
    Last edited by imaCoolRobot; August 14th, 2018 at 20:37.
    joshuagull and Synequano like this.
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by pickle puss View Post

- - - Updated - - -

That's how I've done things up to this point as well. Sure leads to a lot of fun watches and has taught me a lot, but I always found myself struggling to give each piece enough wrist time. Too many pieces that are alike where I'd always reach for one over the other in any given situation. Do you find yourself with a lot of overlap and pieces that don't get enough wrist time, or is it pretty easy for you to spread things out and enjoy each piece for what it is?
    Rolex Submariner 14060M // Rolex Datejust 16013 // Nomos Tangente 38 // Monta Skyquest GMT

You actually have a plan? If someone was being kind they would describe the way I buy watches as “impulsive” (plenty of unkind descriptions spring to mind)
    41Mets likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imaCoolRobot View Post
    Yay another one :D
    I know it's a fairly done-to-death topic, but I so rarely see people ask for specific reasons as to why someone would include a certain watch in their long term collection. I'm far more interested in the reasons WHY someone would choose the watches they do. That's a far more interesting discussion IMO.
    imaCoolRobot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    You actually have a plan? If someone was being kind they would describe the way I buy watches as “impulsive” (plenty of unkind descriptions spring to mind)
    I didn't for nearly two decades. Led to a lot of overlap and a lot of pieces never getting wrist time, selling and rebuying of certain pieces, etc. Ultimately that approach stopped making sense to me personally, although it was pretty fun I do admit. Guess I'm getting older and a little burnt out on the consumption side of the hobby. Really looking to zero in and get some specific pieces for specific purposes so that I always have a go-to piece in my watch box for any given occasion, and I can always know that's the watch I wear when I do __________ or go to ___________. I feel I'll personally appreciate each piece more and form more of a bond with them that way.

Love your taste.

I wouldn't need the beaters...ExpII, Sub, Speedy are plenty tough for pretty much any task. I'd never wear the Seikos or Hamilton if I had those three (heck, I never wear my Hamilton khaki now because of my Sub).

Quote Originally Posted by mak1277 View Post
    Love your taste.

I wouldn't need the beaters...ExpII, Sub, Speedy are plenty tough for pretty much any task. I'd never wear the Seikos or Hamilton if I had those three (heck, I never wear my Hamilton khaki now because of my Sub).
    I get that sentiment 100%. The EXPII is the only "nice" watch that fits my work needs that I'd wear to my place of employment. If it weren't such a blue collar environment where a more expensive watch could get so easily damaged then I wouldn't need the beaters either, but they definitely serve their purpose in my collection. For work days I grab the Hamilton, an SKX or the G-Shock (and I'll grab the EXPII once I have one during the colder months when I have sleeves on to protect the watch somewhat) and all the others are for personal use. Who knows, once I get the EXPII I may never wear the others again and could likely let them all go (other than the Hamilton, it was a gift from family).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information