Luminox or Seiko?

• Luminox

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Seiko

Votes: 20 64.5%

Summertime Beater: Luminox or Seiko?

4K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  Braden Sites 
#1 ·
Looking to get a Summertime beater and have narrowed it down to these two... Anyone have thoughts or experience with either of these models?

See less See more
#2 ·
I prefer the Luminox myself. I have the "Blackout" version, and I love the look, and the quality of the rubber strap is light years ahead of the Seiko. The downside is that it's a Quartz diver. Now that I need a new battery I am stuck with either finding an authorized Luminox repair shop that can pressure test it, or send it to Luminox...

#3 ·
Yeah, the battery thing is another notch in the Seiko column... Been doing some more research and read lots of reviews about the questionable quality of the Luminox. It's also a bit larger (45mm) than the Seiko (42.5) and the Seiko has 20mm lugs which will allow me to use some of my NATO straps with it, and at a little less than half the price the Seiko is looking more and more likely to be my new Summer Fun Beater:)

#4 ·
Personally, I don't care for the look of that particular Monster. I have two friends at work that have a Luminox like this but with different dial color. Looks good. I also have a watch with tritium tubes (which looks like the Luminox you posted has). After 10 years they still glow nicely at night.

#7 ·
I love the Monster, but that version is lower on my list. I like the regular Orange Monster, but if you really like the black/orange combo, that is your preference. Bottom line is that the Seiko Monster is a great... as you put it... summertime watch. Takes a beating and keeps on ticking.

Luminox is good too, but I prefer the automatics.

Have you tried them both on? Which fits you best, both on the writs, and your personal style?

#8 ·
Haven't tried them on yet and still on the fence. I like the Luminox.and dig the tritium tubes but I like the size if the Seiko better. Considered the Victorinox Dive Master and the regular monster but like this zone better. Gonna put it on a black and orange NATO and go full Halloween. I also like that it's different looking, I see regular monsters all the time and like that it's more funky.

#10 ·
That would be a great way to rock it!

#14 ·
Nice, thanks for the link, should be joining the Orange Divers Club soon... really digging this combo... this strap makes it 'Next Level' awesome... I love how the dial isn't completely orange and the shark teeth are biting into it.. loud, bold, bright summer fun colors... this might be the one :)

#25 · (Edited)
I was going to with "fugly" until you posted that combo. Kinda cool, actually, a bold statement. Gets my vote.

I dig tritium, a lot, but Luminox has always struck me as trying too hard. The whole Navy SEAL thing...I mean, they dropped a case of watches at the front gate down at Coronado, so I guess they were "supplied" to the SEALs, but...if you want an H3 beater with some cred, I can recommend a Marathon Navigator.

Not orange, for sure, but half the price, in genuine MILPRF.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Wrist

#16 ·
I have one of the Luminox editions that was released on a NATO strap (3042) that I think is the perfect beater. It's so light you can forget it's there, the fiber reinforced plastic case doesn't really show scratches, it's 200m water resistant, and the tritium illumination means you can read it anytime, anywhere. I also like that it's quartz, so I don't have to worry about damaging the movement with shocks. If I do, I know that I can buy a replacement of that movement for around $15. They look good, too.

#19 ·
If you are really going to beat on it, I'd probably go with the Luminox.

That Seiko has a great movement, but chopping wood, motorcycling, gardening, etc. will take a toll on it.

#22 ·
I have that exact Luminox on a Black/Orange "Bond" NATO.....I bought it specifically for rough use when we are out at our land (dirt bikes, chopping wood, shooting). It looks great, is tough as hell, and the tritium goes all night. So if you are looking for a strictly utilitarian beater.....I think the Luminox wins hands down.

For what it's worth, I do own a SKX009.....but I would not want to wear it in the conditions I wear the Luminox.

#23 ·
Its interesting to hear so many don't like that model Seiko because I think it's the best looking one I've ever seen...also seems to have as many votes as if does negative comments yet still twice as many votes as the Luminox...

I do really like the Luminox but I think it'll be larger than I want and have heard it's tough to get repaired as there's only one facility jn the US and seen many complaints on the quality, hands falling off etc...have also heard it has an odd lug width of 23 mm which makes it tougher to get straps for... Who knows... May end up with both of them :)

#24 ·
I gave that exact Monster to my best friend. And let me tell you, if I give you a watch it's not to unload junk. It's to put you in a good watch.

I think it's a great Monster.

#28 · (Edited)
I ended up with the SEIKO because it ended up with more reasons in the plus column... Really liked the way it looked, will go perfect with my orange board shorts and white long sleeve t-shirt beach/pool attire... The other reasons were stated before, smaller (42mm) than the Luminox (45mm), Don't have to worry about the battery and can use the 20mm Nato straps I already have.. Put it on a strap I have and waiting on the strap pictured earlier with the touch of white.

Thanks for all the input, now on to Summer!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.