Sundial watch: Quickly losing initial appeal
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Sundial watch: Quickly losing initial appeal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sundial watch: Quickly losing initial appeal

I should have probably thought more about what I was doing when I made an impulse decision to purchase a "sundial wristwatch." It's becoming and less and less appealing as the days go on.

I'm not going to mention the store or brand name. That's not as important as what I would call the poor design in general of a sundial replacing a standard watch movement. I should have also paid more attention to the salesman's unusual facial contortions, sometimes he looking away entirely during the transaction. That should have been a red flag. But at the time I didn't care. Nothing could have stopped me. "No batteries needed" first drew me to the display case. "Never needs winding or shaking" hooked me in.

But, believe me, there are many downsides to the sundial design.

To begin with its general qualities, it has to be done outdoors usually. And it has to be on a flat level surface. So, in other words, you actually have to TAKE THE WATCH OFF for it to be effective. I didn't know that when I bought it. You also have to place the watch with the marker "N" on the case facing north. So, unless you know the direction you would also need to be carrying a compass with you.

It's easiest to find the time when you are near a brick ledge or short wall. Something with a solid flat and level surface. Otherwise you would need to place it on a sidewalk and crouch down to see the time.

CONS: It would not be useful for "timing" short things, such as cooking. It's also very difficult unless it is completely sunny outside. I think if the entire dial and structure were just larger (too large for a wrist) it would be a better design. Also, it would be best if it could just be built permanently into a fixed place.

It has caused some stress in my relationships. I have asked my boss (and his boss) to have a small post built into the employee smoke area just outside the building, preferably a very simple rectangular structure with a side pointing true north. But each time I ask, they just seem to be more and more irritated. I've stopped this appeal entirely, but the negative effects are still there between us.

In conclusion, this watch works the way it is supposed to... BUT, it requires too much time and effort that I'm beginning to question my decision in making the purchase. In short, just take time to consider these things before purchasing a sundial watch.

Thanks.
    ShockMister

Re: Sundial watch: Quickly losing initial appeal

good grief sell it on ebay
    Last edited by novedl; December 17th, 2011 at 21:48.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

you completely lost me here, mate, although i had suspicions starting from the second paragraph

Quote Originally Posted by ShockMister View Post
    It has caused some stress in my relationships. I have asked my boss (and his boss) to have a small post built into the employee smoke area just outside the building, preferably a very simple rectangular structure with a side pointing true north. But each time I ask, they just seem to be more and more irritated. I've stopped this appeal entirely, but the negative effects are still there between us.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think we need pics to aid us in absorbing your review.

Just my $0.02 as always.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy_boy View Post
    I think we need pics to aid us in absorbing your review.

Yes, I know. But my camera broke yesterday and it's going to be in the shop for a while. Darn the luck!
    ShockMister

Awesome review, and thanks for the advice! Pics would have been nice, the only other time I recall seeing a similar watch was on "the Flintstones", perhaps it is the same brand/model? Hope everything works out...

S.L

I've gone down this route before and echo your sentiments,
    It was the low life cycle cost that made me take the plunge but it was very much impractical.
    When I accidentally poked myself in the eye with the darned thing I realized it was flipping time.

Gone but unfortunately not completely forgotten:

tommy_boy likes this.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/stampe/Klockor/customstrap2_small.jpg

A sundial watch? We are early for April Fools Day.....
    Last edited by John MS; December 17th, 2011 at 23:03.
    Phil73805 likes this.

I had a similar problem with one of my atomic watches. My supply of U-235 was dwindling, the market just wasn't there anymore and I was afraid that the excess heat being generated by the watch was compounding global warming. I couldn't flip it in good conscience so it lies buried on an uninhabited island in the Caribbean.
    Chris Hughes and CitizenM like this.
    Caveat lector

Quote Originally Posted by S.L View Post
    And it says "ROLEX" !!!
    CitizenM likes this.

Ball Engineer II Ohio (NM1026C-SJ-WH) | Hamilton Khaki Aviation (H76565125) | Omega Dynamic III (5250.50.00) | Omega De Ville (BA 161.024) | Tag Heuer Kirium Chronometer (WL5112) | Victorinox Cavalry (Marlboro Edition)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information