Supreme Court rules in favor of consumers!!!

Thread: Supreme Court rules in favor of consumers!!!

Laughing Supreme Court rules in favor of consumers!!!

This is going to be interesting , In copyright case, Supreme Court rules that goods made overseas can be resold here - The Washington Post

This will cover Omega vs Costco and should help with part supplies as well !

Re: Supreme Court rules in favor of consumers!!!

I'm not a lawyer but it seems strange to me that they would could block the sale of goods made for another country from being sold in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse1 View Post
    This is going to be interesting , In copyright case, Supreme Court rules that goods made overseas can be resold here - The Washington Post

This will cover Omega vs Costco and should help with part supplies as well !
    NICE!

Cry me a river for Omega. They wouldn't sell Speedys in foreign markets for half price if they weren't still making a profit. So IMO they were just being greedy with all their legal shenanigans vs. Costco. Welcome to the free market, guys.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    I'm not a lawyer but it seems strange to me that they would could block the sale of goods made for another country from being sold in the US.
    The Kirtsaeng case had to do with the purchase of textbooks published in Thailand for the Asian market, which Kirtsaeng, a Cornell student, and his friends and family in Thailand purchased, shipped to the US, and sold on eBay. Not small potatoes ... The textbooks were far cheaper in Thailand than in the US, and Kirtsaeng and his associates made over a million dollars.

The publisher, John Wiley & Sons sued, claiming that the unauthorized importation and sale of their books was copyright infringement.

It is similar in some respects to the Omega/Costco suit of a few years ago which after appeals seems to have been decided in Costco's favor because Omega's copyright claim was judged to be a "misuse of copyright." The "copyright" in question was for the laser-etched Omega logo on the back of the case. There are a number of threads on this forum about the Costco case, and some on Kirtsaeng as well.
    Last edited by dbakiva; March 21st, 2013 at 22:21.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

Thread Information