Sure, we'll change your battery for $12.60, but the watch won't be waterproof anymore!

Thread: Sure, we'll change your battery for $12.60, but the watch won't be waterproof anymore!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sure, we'll change your battery for $12.60, but the watch won't be waterproof anymore!

Is it normal for a watch place to tell me that they'll replace the battery, but the watch won't be waterproof anymore because they cannot restore the seal created at the factory... followed by some mumbo-jumbo reason?

Where: Alpha Omega Boston Prudential Mall

(the main store first took the watch, then looked at it and decided it wasn't high-class enough for them and sent me to their "stand" for plebeian watches around the corner, where a nice gentleman looked at the watch with a grin and said: "Sure, we'll change your battery for $12.60, but the watch won't be waterproof anymore!")

What: A small square ladies' quartz Emporio Armani w/ leather band watch, WR to 50 meters (not mine).

So, naturally I decided to hold off until I find out what's going on. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

LTH

Re: Sure, we'll change your battery for $12.60, but the watch won't be waterproof anymore!

at least they said the truth

if you don't want to void your water resistance you have two choice: either you send the watch back to the factory and it will costs you a lot or you use an automatic or ecodrive watch which doesn't need to be opened

or you do it yourself, it will void also the water resistance but it will be cheaper
    Swatch Sistem 51 Arrow (custom bracelet), Bulova Snorkel 96B209, Seiko SSA174K1 "unicorn" 4R37, Seiko SKA465P1 Kinetic 5M62-0CH0, Alpha Sundial Black, Seiko "SPØRK" SRP043K1, MQJ submariner, Casio WVA-430, Citizen diver NY2300-09EB, Seiko 5 SNXS77K (7S26) , Casio Protrek PRT-500 , Swatch Beat webmaster , vintage Seiko 5 (1972 defective) various Casio, Pulsar, Yonger&Bresson all anadigit and a Fossil WristPda:oops:

Re: Sure, we'll change your battery for $12.60, but the watch won't be waterproof anymore!

They certainly don't tell you this when you buy a new battery-operated watch. "Oh, yeah this baby is water resistant to 50, 100, 200-meters! You can go to the moon with this [until the battery dies, then buy a new watch]."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

There are kiosks which will change a battery then test it's wr.
    At 50 meters, it's iffy at best to swim with it in the first place.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Smile Re: Sure, we'll change your battery for $12.60, but the watch won't be waterproof anymore!

If it is a watch I really like, I WOULD send it back to manufacturer to keep the waterproofness.
    "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Net Dweller,

I've been to that AO and they are, IMHO, unfortunately a bunch of jerkoffs. While they did tell you the truth, they REFUSE to cater to anyone with less than a ~ $5,000 timepiece.

If you are anywhere near the South Shore Plaza in Braintree there is a kiosk on the first floor by the escalators in the middle section of the mall, across from Long's Jewelers. They have a pressure testing machine and will change a battery and give a water resistance guarantee for something like $30.

I've used them for a few inexpensive quartz watches, incidentally most belonging to my girl. My experience with their service has been decent, and you *may* find the same??

Good luck!

PS - If you run across a decent watch repair place in Boston, let me know. Been searching on and off for a bit now!

I used to send my Citizen Navihawk back to Citizen for battery changes and WR test. Every jewelery shop that I approached for a on-the-spot battery change would quickly say that will do it, no problem. Then I'd ask if the watch will still be WR to 100m and they would say NO, but I ALWAYS had to ask to get this info: no one volunteered it. So I guess you're somewhat lucky in that they were upfront about it. On the plus side, whenever Citizen would change my battery, they would also perform a quick tuneup at the same time.

That's all bullcrap in my opinion, I've replaced many a bettery in so called waterproof/resistant watches and have never had a problem with leaking. However I had to send my Swiss Army to the factory to have it's battery replaced because my AD said it will void the warrenty if they did it in store and I only had it a month and a half before the battery died anyway so I thought it may be wise to let them send it.
    Peace,
    Preston
    Omega, Tissot, Panerai, G-Shock, Timex, Swiss Army watch fan

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    That's all bullcrap in my opinion, I've replaced many a bettery in so called waterproof/resistant watches and have never had a problem with leaking. However I had to send my Swiss Army to the factory to have it's battery replaced because my AD said it will void the warrenty if they did it in store and I only had it a month and a half before the battery died anyway so I thought it may be wise to let them send it.
    Peace,
    Preston
    Same with my Rado dealer.

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Peace,
    Preston
    The reason for them stating that it will not be waterproof was stated above. Basically, they are not going to take any responsibility if it does leak, and they are going to make sure that you understand this by stating that the WR will be compromised.

By the way, if you are careful, don't tear the gasket getting the back off, and don't pinch the gasket putting the back on, and replace the gasket if it is old and brittle, the watch will be just as water-proof as it was before.

Or you can get a watch with a lithium battery!
    Last edited by lysanderxiii; May 2nd, 2007 at 20:21.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information