Swatch quartz same as high end quartz watches?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Swatch quartz same as high end quartz watches?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Swatch quartz same as high end quartz watches?

I was wondering if the quartz movement in Swatches the same as in higher end watch brands like Tag?

Thanks.
    "It is the hour of pearl—the interval between day and night when time stops and examines itself."
    -j. steinbeck

Re: Swatch quartz same as high end quartz watches?

With around 50 components, I doubt it. But I still like'em...

Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

stuffler,mike

No.

I did not think as but wanted to make sure.

I have very little knowledge of quartz movements.
    "It is the hour of pearl—the interval between day and night when time stops and examines itself."
    -j. steinbeck

Which Swatch model, if any, were you looking at? Some are very attractive I have to admit.

The other day I was actually checking out the range at my local AD. I saw an amazing Swatch Platinum and a Carousel, a rather nice 25 jewel auto skeleton in steel and one which particularly took my fancy, called Irony Retrograde "A SERIOUS AFFAIR YRG400".

A couple of real life pics for you...

"High end" quartz movements are generally defined by more jewels and better materials (gold plated stainless steel gears as opposed to brass or plastic gears). Those features (except for thermocompensation in very high-end movements) are intended to enhance the movement's repairability, but since Swatches are sealed during manufacture, it doesn't make sense to equip them with repairable movements.

Quote Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
    I was wondering if the quartz movement in Swatches the same as in higher end watch brands like Tag?

Thanks.
    Very often, yes. There was a discussion in the High End Quartz forum on a related topic recently. One Tag was identified as using a movement available for $7 - the same one used in the respected Marathon QSAR. Oh - and the movement was an ETA, meaning it was bought from the Swatch group.

This isn't as atrocious as it sounds - until you get to thermo-compensated and radio controlled movements it's impossible to beat the accuracy of a cheap quartz. Even adding jewels is pointless, as unjewelled bearing friction doesn't reduce accuracy, as it derives from electronic control rather than the interplay of friction and gearing, and unjewelled bearings still outlast other parts of the mechanism.

Another example: the Ronda quartz mech in my £40 Uzi trit watch is just the same as the one used in quite a few boutique dive watches. It's tougher than any mechanical movement, much more accurate, and has excellent toque for moving large diver hands, so why not, even if it does cost no more than a cheap bottle of wine?

Cheap mechanical Swatches often use ETA/Swatch movements that are sold to much prestigious brands for re-packaging in fancy cases at huge mark-up too:

http://www.astrogoth.com/node/20

More importantly, there are a few refinements in the 21-jewel Swatch movement (an ETA 2842, a famous movement also used by Omega, Oris, and Raymond Weil, among other adult watches that you can find in your local mall) that the 19-jewel (two less!) JLC calibre 849 shamefully lacks. And what is this "calibre" business? It sounds like a canadian hip-hop reference. "Yo, yo, I'm Calibre 849 and Imma gonna bustacap in yoazz, and then go wolf down some poutine wi' yo ol' lady, cuz I gots all the Canadian Tire Money in the worl', yo!"
    A lot of people like to avoid talking or thinking about this stuff, because it makes them realize that only about 5% of a watch goes on the movement, which supposedly determines the quality. Marketing and retail costs are most of the cost of a typical high-end watch. Less so with the Japanese, and companies like IWC with extraordinary standards for internal finish.
    Last edited by scuttle; March 15th, 2009 at 20:39.
    japc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by watchNoob View Post
    "High end" quartz movements are generally defined by more jewels and better materials (gold plated stainless steel gears as opposed to brass or plastic gears).
    Really? Can you give an example of any modern quartz movement like this?

Those features (except for thermocompensation in very high-end movements)
    You can get a TC watch for about $400. Pulsar used to sell much cheaper ones.

are intended to enhance the movement's repairability, but since Swatches are sealed during manufacture, it doesn't make sense to equip them with repairable movements.
    Why would gold plating a gear make it more repairable?

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

Quote Originally Posted by scuttle View Post
    Why would gold plating a gear make it more repairable?
    My guess: Resists rusting/tarnishing therefore the gear lasting longer and more serviceable?
    Chronic flipper...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information