Swatch strap compatibility: New Gent / Irony --> Diaphane

Thread: Swatch strap compatibility: New Gent / Irony --> Diaphane

Confused Swatch strap compatibility: New Gent / Irony --> Diaphane

Hi everyone,

I have a question about the compatibility between Strap types within 19mm width ends.
    Generally speaking - I have some issues with watches being too heavy or the straps making me sweat.
    So, I have good experiences with using a New Gent (Black Rebel) with a Swatch Irony (Secret Agent) Strap.

To further reduce the weight I got interested in using an aluminum Strap - and I found one from the Diaphane Series.
    They seemed compatible, because they all have the "3 Sgement" design with a 19mm end width.
    But when I tried to fit it, I noticed that the axle diameter seems to be a little smaller and I stabbed the padding with the rod.

Am I doing something wrong? Are these even compatible? Is there an easy way to tell if straps are compatible?

thanks,
    hay

Re: Swatch strap compatibility: New Gent / Irony --> Diaphane

If it slips into the lugs okay then it should be compatible.

Swatch straps use the friction from the strap hole on the pin to secure them to the watch head. I only have one Swatch with a metal band (that I've never taken off), but it appears to have a plastic/rubber insert (what I assume you mean by "padding") in the ends to hang on to the pin. It's possible Swatch use different diameter pins for different straps, but I would bet that strap hole is just very tight.

Make sure the strap is pushed all the way into the lugs and see if you can eyeball the strap hole through the lug hole. If that's all good then I've found the best way is to push it in to get it started, then use a hard surface like a countertop to steadily push the pin all the way home.

I've changed tons of Swatch straps and some are very compliant, some are pretty stubborn. New straps that have never been installed before tend to be stiff and the worst culprits. You shouldn't have to use excessive force, but you might need to muscle it in there a bit.

Hope this helps.

Re: Swatch strap compatibility: New Gent / Irony --> Diaphane

My own experience agrees with what Delty said....if the ends are the correct width, then the strap/bracelet will fit. I've watched employees in Swatch stores change out straps, and sometimes even they have difficulty. As far as I know, only one diameter of pin is used, but it might help to soak the strap in warm soapy water for a few minutes to help the pin slide through.

Thread Information