Swatch vs Richemont : Let the analysis begin
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: Swatch vs Richemont : Let the analysis begin

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Right then, we are all concerned about how our respective brands fare from a public perspective, and more so the watch-lovers perspective. There is only one way to settle it, hold out a detailed analysis of the 2 giants of the horological world, the battle of Swatch Group vs. Richemont Group. While I know that the independents are basically the cream of the industry I just want to keep this between the 2 companies which when combined make probably, 80% of watches overall. In due course maybe we can pit the 2 against each other merely to see who has the upper-hand if any. I'm not creating this thread to insult brand loyalists nor to ignite a never-ending debate. The goal is to only analyse how each group has been important for the watch industry overall. That said :

Richemont Group:
    Vacheron Constantin
    A Lange & Sohne
    Jaeger-LeCoultre
    Roger Dubuis
    Piaget
    IWC
    Panerai
    Mont Blanc
    Baume & Mercier
    Cartier
    Van Cleef & Arpels

Swatch Group : This is easy
    Breguet
    Harry Winston
    Blancpain
    GO
    Jaquet Droz
    Omega
    Union Glasutte
    Longines
    Rado
    Tissot
    CK
    Swatch

I know the Swatch Group has a few more brands but I wanted to keep it to the most popular ones. Indepedents like PP, AP in the elite price band & Breitling & Tag in the semi-affordable segment can also join the discussion with respect to rankings. I feel Richemont has the edge on innovations & overall appeal but Swatch is pretty damn close with 3 power-hitters like Breguet, HW & BP.
    Last edited by vip1985; December 31st, 2015 at 19:23. Reason: Corrections++
    chuasam likes this.

O well... I think the ranking you gave to the Richemont group is a debate within itself. I would say the main difference between the two is that Swatch Group only makes watches and Richemont has brands that go way into luxury lifestyle.
    Within Richemont, Cartier is by far their crown jewel, their darling brand. On horology terms, even if some folks around this forum don't like it and the brand lost it's way for a few decades, Cartier sure has more history and pedigree than most of its sister brands.
    vip1985 and GeriFix like this.

I can afford a watch from the swatch group. I will likely never have the extra cash for the Richemont group. Probably the biggest difference between the two. They service two very different groups; not to say that Swatch doesn't make some high class watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    vip1985 and ev13wt like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Swatch vs Richemont : Let the analysis begin

What happened to number 3?

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk
    vip1985 likes this.
    Swiss: ​Omega Speedmaster Professional (3573.50), Rolex Air King (114200), Rolex Submariner ND (114060)
    Russian: Vostok Amphibian
    German: Nomos Club Automat, Nomos Tangente Datum
    Japanese: Grand Seiko (SBGR051), Seiko Presage Urushi (SARW013), Seiko Orange Monster

Swatch Group also has Hamilton and Certina FYI.
    vip1985 likes this.

This is closest thing to a tiers thread these parts have seen in ages...

En garde!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Well at least this is better than the Rolex versus Grand Seiko argument. I think overall Swatch Group is the more "important" one to the industry given its role in history with the Swatch (and it's market size). In terms of brands I hold in high regard, the Richemont brands (JLC, VC, ALS) are higher in my mind. That said, I own more Swatches (2 Omega +1 incoming, 2 Longines, 1 Hamilton, 1 Swatch) than Richemont (1 each of VC, JLC, B&M). The Swatch companies are more likely to get movements from the Swatch Group's "in-house" ETA movement maker, whereas Richemont is more likely to have each company make their own movements, though that doesn't mean Richemont doesn't also use shared movements (IWC, B&M, Panerai, etc, etc).

I think both are great, and it's always good to have competition between companies. I don't think we'd have as many good watches if Swatch and Richemont were just one megacompany, leaving only LVMH, Kering, Rolex, Seiko, and a few independents to fight that juggernaut.

Overall, I guess I have more affection for VC and JLC than I do Omega and Longines (despite the watch count) due to their history and manufacture. But that doesn't mean I don't like other brands. You can't drink champagne all the time, and there are always "diamonds in the rough." I'm the same way with cars too.
    Last edited by sleepyhead123; January 6th, 2016 at 05:22. Reason: forgot the Hamilton
    vip1985 and bb-man like this.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Swatch | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon |
    Waiting to be on deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

Quote Originally Posted by hector67 View Post
    Within Richemont, Cartier is by far their crown jewel, their darling brand. On horology terms, even if some folks around this forum don't like it and the brand lost it's way for a few decades, Cartier sure has more history and pedigree than most of its sister brands.
    Noted & thanks, would you put Cartier over B&M and MB?

Quote Originally Posted by DrKennethNoiseWater View Post
    I can afford a watch from the swatch group. I will likely never have the extra cash for the Richemont group. Probably the biggest difference between the two. They service two very different groups; not to say that Swatch doesn't make some high class watches.
    True, numbers 12 through 6 from Swatch are accessible by most people, but 1 through 5 are quite expensive. Richemont is a cut above in positioning though.

Quote Originally Posted by gagnello View Post
    What happened to number 3?
    Thanks, corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyhead123 View Post
    Overall, I guess I have more affection for VC and JLC than I do Omega and Longines (despite the watch count) due to their history and manufacture. But that doesn't mean I don't like other brands. You can't drink champagne all the time, and there are always "diamonds in the rough." I'm the same way with cars too.
    This is a key point here, I'd imagine it'd get boring with the champagne all the time and they all tend to go a bit flat over time unless the tastebuds get another tantalizing, refreshing flavour. That's where there mid-range like Omegas, IWC or Rolex come in. As an IWC owner myself I'm quite disappointed that the brand is ranked quite low even with its atrocious pricing.. that's the bad of being part of a group of so many heavyweights I guess.
    Last edited by vip1985; December 31st, 2015 at 18:32.

Quote Originally Posted by vip1985 View Post
    Noted & thanks, would you put Cartier over B&M and MB?

Definitely over IWC and Panerai

What happened to Mido, Hamilton and Certina within the Swatch group?

And I really, REALLY doubt they cover 80% of the watch production. You're missing Rolex, the Seiko and Citizen group, and Sea Gull, to say the least.
    vip1985 and sebastian.ioan like this.
    10:10

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information