Sweeping Second Hand!

Thread: Sweeping Second Hand!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Sweeping Second Hand!

Hello all!

I'm new to the forums, so please forgive me if I'm posting in the incorrect area. I'm interested in becoming more knowledgeable about wrist watches, so I'm hoping in time these forums will educate me. One thing that's always intrigued me were watches with sweeping second hands. I'm interested in obtaining one of these watches, but I'm unaware of any brands which make them besides Rolex. Are there any more affordable watches with this feature?

That's all of your time I'll take for now. Thanks everyone!

Re: Sweeping Second Hand!

It's a simple matter of buying an automatic watch. All auto-mechanical movement watches have what is known as "sweeping seconds hands", though technically all seconds hands on analog watches have sweeping seconds hands, some just move in a smoother motion (mechanicals) where other have a single "tick" per second (quartz). Seiko makes plenty of automatic affordable watches with sweeping seconds hands that are highly regarded among watch enthusiasts/WIS.

Any watch that has an auto/mechanical movement will do the trick.
    Tissot has a lot of nice automatic watches that are inexpensive

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

As odd as it may sound, technically a "sweeping second hand" just means any second hand that spins around the entire dial - quartz or mechanical. But I know what you mean - you want a smooth sweeping hand like a mechanical movement.

There are a ton of watches with smooth sweeping second hands - just look for an "automatic" or "mechanical." If its "quartz" (i.e. has a battery or capacitor) then it will tick once per second (unless its a very high end hybrid like a Seiko Springdrive).

Check out Seiko, Seiko 5, and Orient for good starter mechanical watches.
    Lots of dive watches.

Thanks so much all, I'm definitely going to look into this more. I guess my first "real" watch purchase will be based on all of your suggestions! :)

Another think to keep in mind is the beat rate. Many japanese/chinese made movements such as Seiko/Citizen/Orient, are in the 21,600 vph, which equates to 6 beats per second. Most Swiss made auto-mechanical movements have 28,800 vph, which equates to 8 beats per second. There are, of course, some Swiss that have lower beat rates, as well as some Seikos/Citizens/Orients that have higher beat rates such as 28,800 or even 36,000 (which is 10 beats per seconds). There are also many Russian brand watches that utilize a 18,000 vph, which is 5 beats/second. The advantage to the lower beat rates is that there's less wear on the gears in the movements, however that's really a trivial argument to me, as the higher beat rates have proven to last just as long without any serious problems as the lower. Anyway, just a few things to keep in mind there.

The 21,600 and 28,800 are the most popular and easiest to find, also they tend to be used in the more affordable watches.

Quote Originally Posted by xiton View Post
    Thanks so much all, I'm definitely going to look into this more. I guess my first "real" watch purchase will be based on all of your suggestions! :)
    It's at least a good place to form an informed opinion of your own for sure!

If you have an Ebay account i would type in Seiko 5 in the search engine,and you will get a ton for choices..I do believe you will get the best auto. watch for the money.I say Seiko because they make a lot of different styles that you should find one you like the most..Heck then you can come back here,and get some more advice if you wish..Welcome to the forum BTW.
    Mike

Thanks, Beyond. I've heard of the Seiko 5 a few times recently, and I've been reading that they seem to be very reliable for an affordable automatic watch. I was actually considering this watch due to the auto-mechanic qualities as well as being durable. This watch also would have the smooth sweeping second hand? I'm also a bit confused now about the beat rates! Perhaps after a bit of time on these forums, I'll understand a bit more about the more complex side of things! For now I'll just keep the beat rate / gear wear information in mind. :)

Edit: Also, thanks mikeynd! Your post showed up late for me, but your message must have come into my mind anyways! ;)
    Last edited by xiton; March 20th, 2009 at 02:49.

If you want perfectly smooth second hand you will have to go with some vintage high beat mechanicals (36000 bph) or Accutron tuning fork watches. Even the 28,800 bph movements aren't perfectly smooth.

The disadvantages of higher beat movements have traditionally been lower power reserves and increased wearing of components and lubrication though the time tested ETA 2824 (28800 bph, a compromise between 21600 bph and 36000 bph) is a pretty durable movement with decent power reserve.
    Last edited by W123; March 20th, 2009 at 02:54.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information