Swiss Armey Watch - Grad Gift - Advice

Thread: Swiss Armey Watch - Grad Gift - Advice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hello,
    I am going to buy a Swiss Army watch for my son (high school graduation). I am thinking about the Officer's model. I don't think he needs any sports-related features.

Do you prefer an expansion or leather strap? Why?
    What about the size of the watch?

Other considerations? Ideas? Recommendations?

Thank you.
    Jane

Hello Jane, and Welcome!

Congrats on your choice of graduation gift; if you get it personalized with the date and a message, it will mean that much more.

The most honest answer I can offer to your queries would be this; what are his preferences? You want to go with something he'll wear.

My choice of fastening would be the SS bracelet; very rugged, and can take the abuse. Leather will eventually fall apart, and rubber, though comfortable, tends to be more "sport" than "all-around". This *may* be important if he's going into the work world; if he's going to university, any strap choice would work.

I find that each watch will "tell" you how it prefers to be fastened. Go to a shop, look around at the various offerings, and see what speaks to you.

The size of the dial really depends on your son's build; if he's a big lad, a larger watch can work well. Slight? Go with a smaller case-size. Again, I suggest this as a reference; you know him best, follow your instincts.

If I were buying a watch as a gift, I personally would look at a Seiko or Citizen. Rugged, well-made watches at very reasonable prices. And the offerings from both companies are staggering; you're sure to find something that speaks to you.

If you can find the time after the event, we'd love to see some pics of the watch and it's proud new owner. We're all about the pictures here.

Cheers!
    Bill
    All who wander are not lost ...
    Be a traveler, not a tourist.

A traveler doesn't know where he's going,
    a tourist doesn't know where he's been.

Re: Swiss Armey Watch - Grad Gift - Advice

Thanks Bill,
    I definitely go with the SS bracelet. Definitely will personalize it. And will try to get a handle on the size issue... he is tall but slim...

One challenge is that I live in a small town so will most likely have to have the watch I want ordered in and with graduation being soon

Because of vision issues, it is important that the watch have the digits (non-roman) on it. The digits do not have to LOOM large or anything like that. I checked out sieko and citizen and they seem to all have no numbers (or just 12, 3, 6, 9). Any ideas about that?

My own personal preference is for simple function and definitely analog. I love mechanical watches but know that that would be an awful idea for my son. And I would like a watch that will last forever. Too much to ask for!!! And, and while I am compiling my wish list... my pet peeve is the tick-tick of the second hand going around. Is there such a thing as a silent second hand?????

And my price range is < $500.

Oh, back to the size issue.... if I surreptitiously get the wrist measurement, could that provide a rule of thumb for gauging dial size? A formula would be great!

Kind regards,
    Jane

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

RPF

A rough guide.

Measure the top of the wrist about 1.5" away from the joint without bending the ruler. Now take 90% of the length. That'll be the maximum lug-to-lug (i.e. the length of the watch case top to bottom) distance without having the lugs hang "over" the wrist.

As for dial size, if the wrist is under 7" around at the joint, 40-42mm is about the largest one should go without it looking disproportionate.

You'll need to consider both dial and lug-to-lug size usually.

Happy shopping. I envy your son.

RPF

Some suggestions with clear, legible dials.

Citizen Air Diver -- where to buy online? and what about functions you would never need?

Thank you for the suggestions. I love the citizen with the back face. And I know my eco-friendly son will appreciate the no-battery feature. I checked on the citizen web site and didn't find any "air diver" watches. I am in small-town Canada... I found the watch on e-Bay but am not sure about buying that way. Any advice about where to buy online?

I am also wondering about multi-function watches. For instance, the circle thing framing the watch... I asume that is for divers... what if you aren't (and likey will never be) a diver... is it perfectly fine to choose a watch with functions that you would never need. Actually, I am now thinking about the watches with all those dials... do people really need all those?

One more thing... ... What do you mean by "lug"?

OK, another thing... I like the sound of "titanium"... what are the relative merits of materials used?

I never realized before how interesting watches can be.

Best regards and many thanks,
    Jane

Quote Originally Posted by RPF View Post
    Some suggestions with clear, legible dials.

Hi Jane

How much time do you have? If more than three weeks, I'd suggest you buy from eBay, but only from either "Pokemonyu" or "Premierworld". Both of these sellers enjoy a stellar reputation on most all English-speaking watch forums, and I'll bet more non-English sites as well.

In the interest of time, I'd recommend a dial size of about 40mm. If you like the Eco-Drive feature, stick with Citizen. You want a dependable, durable watch, this is the way to go,

As far as the bezel (round ring on the case encircling the dial), it's more than OK to have one, even if he never goes diving. No worries. As far as other complications go, save them for future purchases. No point in getting all tied up right now.

A "lug" is the little legs that the strap/bracelet attach to; again, don't get too wrapped up in this measurement. Go with a 40mm to 42mm watch, and he should be comfortable.

Ah, titanium ... nice. This metal is just as strong as stainless steel, but much lighter. Downside is that it *may* show scratches more easily. Me? I wouldn't worry 'bout that unless he's super-picky about his stuff staying "as new". Ti is a great way to go, and he could have fun showing it off to his friends.

Watches, M'Lady, are fascinating .... stick around, check out some of the other forums, and you'll be amazed at the world you've just discovered. This is a great hobby, one that you and he can share if he has an interest.

Cheers!
    Bill
    All who wander are not lost ...
    Be a traveler, not a tourist.

A traveler doesn't know where he's going,
    a tourist doesn't know where he's been.

Where in Canada are you? Here in Calgary, there are lots of shops that carry a wide variety of Citizen models and getting 25% to 30% is quite easy.

When you find a specific model you like, post it on here and I can cross reference the price from some of the local retailers. It might be cheaper to have a friend or family member mail it to you from where they live in Canada as it would eliminate the chances of paying duty/customs fees if you were to order it from outside Canada.

Pacman

RPF

Re: Citizen Air Diver -- where to buy online? and what about functions you would never nee

Jane: The Citizens shown are Japan Only models. They're available from ebay (those vendors are legit) or Higuchi inc., an established watch seller from Japan. You just need to google Higuchi inc. and email him for a quote. The watch will come with a one year international warranty from these vendors.

The Citizen's Ti is surface hardened to resist scratches and dings. It'll look new longer than most steel and Ti watches. Very good stuff.

As for the bezel, it can be used to time things within the hour such as parking meter times, baking times etc. Just point the 60 to the current minute and use the bezel to see the elapsed time.

Ti is more exp. than steel. Various Ti alloys are used in the aviation industry because of its strength to weight ratio. It has superior thermal comfort (very useful on cold winter days)and is hypoallergenic. The reduced weight also makes Ti more comfy to wear, esp. the bracelet models.

Re: Citizen Air Diver -- recharging?

To summarize all that I have learned since yesterday evening... :)

1) SS bracelet is not only cool looking, it lasts when leather won't.
    2) Citizen watches are very very nice... design... quality...
    2) making up a strange story to get the measurement of my son's wrist is worthwhile (ideas re what *that* story could be are welcome) but also that working with an measure of ~40mm is safe.
    3) A bevel is so simply useful.
    4) Not only does Ti look good (I like it), it is worth noting its thermal and hypoallergenic properties. My son does have allergies... and I can relate to the thermal issues... Let me tell you about -30 and metal ear rings... there are reasons women wear ear-muffs.
    5) Must consider custom duties when buying online outside of Canada ... something that never occured to me... thank you. Hello to Calgary from PEI.

I am curious... the Eco-Drive... are there pracaticality issues related to needing to be recharged? I would think that day-to-day life would ensure that the cell would always be charged... but on he Citizen's web-site their FAQ mentions recharging the watch.

Best regards,
    Jane

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information