Swiss Army Chronograph QUESTION/HELP

Thread: Swiss Army Chronograph QUESTION/HELP

Swiss Army Chronograph QUESTION/HELP

I have what may be a really dumb question regarding Swiss Army Chronograph watches. My girlfriend gave me a Swiss Army Alliance Chronograph watch and I find the chronograph feature to be counterintuitive but it may just be my misunderstanding of the purpose of the feature by the watch/watchmaker.

Just to make sure, I want to define "dial" as the small circular indicator on the watch and "hand" as the indicators of real time (long hand, for example).

I have a Fossil watch with a chronograph and there are three dials with the watch. The tenths dial, seconds dial, and minutes dial. When the chronograph is reset, all these dials are at the 12 position. The second hand, minute hand, and hour hand continuously move to tell me the time. Makes sense!

Okay, so as far as the Swiss Army watch, there are also three dials - the tenths dial, seconds dial, and the minutes dial. What confuses me is that when the chronograph is reset, the tenths dial, minutes dial and the second hand are at the 12 position. The seconds dial continously moves with the minute and hour hands to tell me the time. :-S

This is counterintuitive for me... or does someone have an explanation or website they can point me to for more info??? :-S

By the way, I did go to Macy's to look at the exact same watch as well as Nordstrom to look at other chronos by Swiss Army. All behave the same! So something tells me that this is the way they are made...
    Attached Images Attached Images

stuffler,mike

Re: Swiss Army Chronograph QUESTION/HELP

Quote Originally Posted by scrapdawg02
    I have what may be a really dumb question regarding Swiss Army Chronograph watches. My girlfriend gave me a Swiss Army Alliance Chronograph watch and I find the chronograph feature to be counterintuitive but it may just be my misunderstanding of the purpose of the feature by the watch/watchmaker.

Just to make sure, I want to define "dial" as the small circular indicator on the watch and "hand" as the indicators of real time (long hand, for example).

I have a Fossil watch with a chronograph and there are three dials with the watch. The tenths dial, seconds dial, and minutes dial. When the chronograph is reset, all these dials are at the 12 position. The second hand, minute hand, and hour hand continuously move to tell me the time. Makes sense!

Okay, so as far as the Swiss Army watch, there are also three dials - the tenths dial, seconds dial, and the minutes dial. What confuses me is that when the chronograph is reset, the tenths dial, minutes dial and the second hand are at the 12 position. The seconds dial continously moves with the minute and hour hands to tell me the time. :-S

This is counterintuitive for me... or does someone have an explanation or website they can point me to for more info??? :-S

By the way, I did go to Macy's to look at the exact same watch as well as Nordstrom to look at other chronos by Swiss Army. All behave the same! So something tells me that this is the way they are made...
    Just to get you right, where is the tenths subdial ?
    Your Swiss Army Alliance chronograph has three subdials as far as I can see: h,m,s. No tenths though.
    The little second hand of the subdial az 6 o`clock is working continuously ?
    Thats the way it has to be. The center second hand is the chronometer hand.
    Seems to be a common swiss quartz movement. My Sector SGE 300 works the same way your Swiss Army does.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike
    Just to get you right, where is the tenths subdial ?
    Your Swiss Army Alliance chronograph has three subdials as far as I can see: h,m,s. No tenths though.
    The little second hand of the subdial az 6 o`clock is working continuously ?
    Thats the way it has to be. The center second hand is the chronometer hand.
    Seems to be a common swiss quartz movement. My Sector SGE 300 works the same way your Swiss Army does.
    thanks for the reply, mike. the tenths subdial is at the "2" position, seconds subdial at the "6" position and minutes (up to 30 minutes) is at the "10" position.

yes, the seconds subdial works continuously with the minute and hour hands to tell me the time.

it just seems odd that the center second hand is the chronograph hand...

so when i have everything reset at zero, the tenths subdial ("2" position), minutes subdial ("10" position), and center seconds hand are all pointing to the "12" position. mike, do you leave your chronograph reset at zero all the time?

i've always been used to the center second hand counting continously... :-S

oh, and do you or anyone else know why this is or have more information on it's uses? thanks again:thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by scrapdawg02
    mike, do you leave your chronograph reset at zero all the time?
    Yes I do.

BTW: Most of my mechanical chronographs (vintage and contemporary) work that way. Here are some:

The reason I can imagine is that if you want to stop a time period you want to see the elapsed seconds in a glance. This wouldn´t be possible with the little second hand running. BTW: I love the little hand running continiously because that´s the sign that the watch is working

Hi Mike, it is a nice collection you have, may i ask what the chinese brand is? I like its simple classic look. Many thanks kymikai

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike
    Yes I do.

BTW: Most of my mechanical chronographs (vintage and contemporary) work that way. Here are some:

The reason I can imagine is that if you want to stop a time period you want to see the elapsed seconds in a glance. This wouldn´t be possible with the little second hand running. BTW: I love the little hand running continiously because that´s the sign that the watch is working

stuffler,mike

It´s a Sea-Gull 1963, all the information needed is to be found on our Chinese Watches Forum. It´s worth a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by scrapdawg02 View Post

Found this thread randomly... a few comments... for a mechanical watch with chronograph feature, the "big" seconds hand is used for the chronograph. This is for two reasons. Primarily because the second hand sweeps and when you stop it, you can read out fractions of a second on the biggest dial of the watch face, instead of trying to read the seconds and fractions of a second on a tiny subdial, which would be pretty much impossible. Second, chronograph watches often have a tachymeter printed on the bezel to indicate miles per hour (for example), so if you time a mile and it takes 45 seconds, the big seconds hand is pointing to 80 on the bezel, i.e., 80 miles per hour. Having a tachymeter bezel would otherwise be completely pointless.

Your watch is a quartz watch with no tachymeter so really there isn't a point to using the big seconds hand for the chronograph vs. general timekeeping. It's probably just a style decision made by the Swiss to make the quartz watches similar to the mechanical ones. And I guess there is the benefit of legibility in case you are often timing things and care about how many seconds they take.

I'm going to close this one. It's over 5 years old.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thread Information