Swiss ETA 2825

Thread: Swiss ETA 2825

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5

    Swiss ETA 2825

    Can anybody tell me their opinions on the ETA 2825 movement? I'm considering my first automatic and this is one of the options.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,120

    Re: Swiss ETA 2825

    I don't believe that there is such a movement, do you perhaps mean 2824? Which would actually be a 2824-2, and in such case the movement is fine, what you really need to find out is what quality of this movement does the watch you seek use. What I mean by that is that there are different grades or qualities of this movement, in which it's adjusted in more positions and finished differently... I believe that there are either four or five grades, and it could very well be that if you just name the watch or even brand/manufacturer someone here could easily tell you that off the top of their head. In any case, I'd say that the movement is of a reasonable to high quality that can easily be regulated to run very accurately and will prove to be quite the work-horse movement that will last for as long as you should allow it to (giving it the necessary and required/suggested servicing).

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5

    Re: Swiss ETA 2825

    Thanks! You're right. It's in a Swiss Military Conquest (clean look, kinda like a Pilot's watch) It states "Swiss ETA 2824, 25 jewels" but does not specify quality or grade. (Learned something new tonight, didn't even know there were different grades of the same movement number.)

    I see that you've got a Tissot SeaStar with the blue face. Very cool watch. I don't see them for sale much on-line anymore, that's one I wish I would have pulled the trigger on.







    Quote Originally Posted by Beyond 'The Box' View Post
    I don't believe that there is such a movement, do you perhaps mean 2824? Which would actually be a 2824-2, and in such case the movement is fine, what you really need to find out is what quality of this movement does the watch you seek use. What I mean by that is that there are different grades or qualities of this movement, in which it's adjusted in more positions and finished differently... I believe that there are either four or five grades, and it could very well be that if you just name the watch or even brand/manufacturer someone here could easily tell you that off the top of their head. In any case, I'd say that the movement is of a reasonable to high quality that can easily be regulated to run very accurately and will prove to be quite the work-horse movement that will last for as long as you should allow it to (giving it the necessary and required/suggested servicing).

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,550

    Re: Swiss ETA 2825

    i been testing the swiss military for about week now, watch is running on time with just evening wearing.

  6. #5
    Moderator sixtysix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Just north of Syracuse, NY USA
    Posts
    11,204

    Re: Swiss ETA 2825

    I think the Conquest is small if it's the $99 JTV deal (like 35mm) so make sure before you buy it that the size is OK. I may be thinking of a different one. Movement and watch are good quality.
    Later, Gary




    We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,550

    Re: Swiss ETA 2825

    compare to Invicta watch , I have hard time knowing if I am wearing a watch until i look at My wrist, its very comfortable watch that tells time without bling-bling or worrying about getting damaged.

  8. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5

    Re: Swiss ETA 2825

    Thanks for the info (you're right I was looking at the JTV deal.) I was also looking at the Invicta 9937OB (swiss movement). I see you collect Invicta, any thoughts/opinions on the quality difference between the Swiss vs. Japanese auto's they use (it looks like the best price for the Swiss with the coin edge is around $350, while you can get the Japanese with the coin edge for around $120)


    Quote Originally Posted by sixtysix View Post
    I think the Conquest is small if it's the $99 JTV deal (like 35mm) so make sure before you buy it that the size is OK. I may be thinking of a different one. Movement and watch are good quality.

  9. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,120

    Re: Swiss ETA 2825

    Yeah, that's the one that's selling for $100 on JewelryTelevision.com right? Most likely it is the economy grade movement, which has the less aesthetically appealing finish and can easily vary in accuracy upon arrival. It is the lesser of quality grades, but in all honesty I have no doubt that it will provide you with a more than reasonably accurate timing device that will last you for many-many years to come. I've owned a watch with this movement and it arrived running +13 seconds per day, it later settled into running at +8 per day which is quite decent, I then took it to a watchmaker and had it regulated to +4 per day to suit my preferences.

  10. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,120

    Re: Swiss ETA 2825

    Quote Originally Posted by HawkWatch View Post
    Thanks for the info (you're right I was looking at the JTV deal.) I was also looking at the Invicta 9937OB (swiss movement). I see you collect Invicta, any thoughts/opinions on the quality difference between the Swiss vs. Japanese auto's they use (it looks like the best price for the Swiss with the coin edge is around $350, while you can get the Japanese with the coin edge for around $120)
    I prefer Swiss for a couple of reasons, but both can be fine and have proven themselves worthy time-and-time-again.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,550

    Re: Swiss ETA 2825

    me too, swiss auto movements and higher line of seiko/Citizen auto if I wanted to buy a dress watch.

    rest of watches are eco, kinetics, and quartz from Seiko or Citizen, I would never buy a SWISS quartz movement watch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •