WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Tachymeter watch - what are the large knobs for???

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Reno 
#1 ·
I really like the looks of this watch (tachymeter, large arabic numerals, placement of chrono dials). The rose gold color has actually grown on me too (I originally was looking for a gold tone watch).

Anyway, the things I don't like/am unsure of are the very large crown (at least it appears very large) and the large knobs. I don't even know what the large knobs are for. I assume something with the tachymeter?

Any other info/opinions on the watch are welcome. I would like to change the bracelet to a uniform rose gold bracelet (I'm not a fan of two-tone bracelets).

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Mike, I think I'm going to repectfully disagree. I beleive the bezel "indicators" I'll call them for lack of a better word, are independent of the pushers and are infact a part of the slide rule bezel. Why do I think this? My dad was an engineer who made me learn how to use a slide rule as a kid!

#6 ·
I'd agree with Mike and say gimmick without any function. I doubt it has anything to do with the slide rule; it would need to cover both scales to actually have some function. It would also need to be able to move and it simply looks like some protrusion attached near the pushers.

It would be a rather attractive watch if it didn't have items obscuring the slide rule and that overly large crown.

#7 · (Edited)
It is quite simple, really! I am amased you do not see the function!!
Shall I tell you??

You jam the (beerbottle) cap between the crown and the case. The protrusions are just a protection, you lever off the cap against it. :-!

Seriously, I think it is just a new way to overdesign a pusher.

The Nautica lineup has some intersting ideas. Overall they seems to have looked at others design.

#9 · (Edited)
Well I'm better now! I went to web-site for more info to which there wasn't anything identifying what these things are. So I agree, just a gimmick. Too bad, it's not a bad looking watch. They one on a black resin band, black face.
It could be a bezel blocking system.

I have a similar system on my Yema

When the crown is fully screwed, the knob blocks the bezel.

So, on the Nautica, the two knobs might be one single piece, that moves when the crown is screwed :think:

or not...

PS : Do we use this term "screw" 1st degree ? I always wonder if I say "f#cked up" when I use it :think: (serious question here, english is not my native language)​

#10 ·
They cannot just be a gimmick. They have a function- pushers for the chronometer function. Just "designed", Form uber Function!

Re: Screw/Screwing: I have the same problem, feels wrong to say or write that word.

#11 ·
Re: Screw/Screwing: I have the same problem, feels wrong to say or write that word.
Can English/American/Australian folks enlight us ? :think:

Is it OK to use this verb for what it's initially intended ? :think:

(Real concern, not a joke)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.