Tactile feeling when manually winding an automatic - what is your experience?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dbakiva

Thread: Tactile feeling when manually winding an automatic - what is your experience?

Tactile feeling when manually winding an automatic - what is your experience?

When winding a manual, provided that I have a well sized crown, I always get a good, satisfactory feeling given by the elastic resistance of the spring. This is not the case with my automatics, the reason being the friction with the spring that disengage the racket wheel from the automatic winding system. Here is my experience from worst to best:

Miyota 8215 - this is the worst. I can feel and hear the scratching between parts - is almost like hearing the metal screaming at me "stop doing it!"

Valjoux 7750 - chronograph movement with quite a strong mainspring I believe. A little smoother than the Miyota and not that noisy, but it gives me alot of resistance.

ETA 2824-2 - Standard. More noisy than 7750 but less resistant. Still, the feeling of scratching something inside is quite strong.

Lord Elgin 760 - vintage movement. On par with ETA on resistance but with a higher note for the sound of scratching. I give it the upper hand as it is a 50 years old movement.

Seiko 6r15b - it seems Seiko put some research on giving a better winding feeling. Almost cannot hear it and so smooth that it goes on the other side. Is like winding through butter - this is not good either because you get almost no feedback from the spring.

Orient 40N51 - this seems to give the best feeling so far. No scratching noise and the resistance from the spring is pretty close to a manual but not quite there.

My experience is mostly limited to these movements. Perhaps on other watches, there are different systems that give better feeling. What is your experience when winding an automatic?

Re: Tactile feeling when manually winding an automatic - what is your experience?

None of mine feel or sound like a manual where I feel like I have more direct contact with the mainspring, though I'd say the 7750's are closest. At least there's a reasonable amount of resistance.

Re: Tactile feeling when manually winding an automatic - what is your experience?

I know what you mean, but don't find automatics coarse in the way you describe. Some automatics feel more refined than others - ETA 2893 v ETA 2824, for example.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My Marathon is a bit tough to wind despite the huge crown, but my Milgauss is my sweetest winding watch, even better than my manual Dornbluth.

Dievas 2824 - not much fun to wind - feels stiff
    Tissot 2836 - pretty smooth, you can really feel and hear the mainspring as you wind it
    TAG 7750 - nice solid action - not much feedback though - feels disconnected. Nice click on the back wind
    Nomos - buttery. Gets harder as it's wound more (no overwind stop/slip unlike the above)

My Seamaster GMT cal 1128 (modified ETA 2892-A2) is "like buttah."
    Smoother than my 3035 Rolex or my 39-58 Glashütte, though they are both very nice.
    Much better than a 2824-2
    russsoul likes this.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

I don't care for the feedback on winding automatics very much. I tend not to do it very much unless I feel I need to. I much prefer the feedback when winding a hand cranker...
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Thread Information