Tag Carrera Chrono - old version

Thread: Tag Carrera Chrono - old version

Tag Carrera Chrono - old version

Hello,
    I recently stumbled upon a Tag Carrera Chrono - the old version (no tachymetre), probably it was ref. CV2113.FC6182. I really liked this watch, it suits my needs and taste quite well. Hovewer, there is one thing about it. As it is a discontinued model I would be hesitant to even try to buy it without consulting somebody more experienced.

- as I was told it is laying there for 4-4,5 years and in watch-selling terms this is ancient history for me. How do you think this time might have inflicted the caliber, the oils inside it and so on. I will only add that when I started the chrono the pusher went in quite strangely, like it was made of jelly and I had problems with starting it. Completely different to my watch on a V7750, which works all the time with a fail-safe click.

- what is your opinion on the watch and the mechanism inside it? How would you compare it to the Speedy Pro, leaving aside the history of the Omega. which one would you recommend?

- what is your opinion on the possibilities of negotiating the price. The watch is priced very high, even it did not sell for the last years. It is 11,000 PLN (almost 2900 EUR/3800USD), the same as a new Carrera Chrono tachy and a Speedmaster Pro (the first I don't like much, the second I would rather have with a sapphire on both sides). I have to add that in Poland, the prices of watches are extremely high (even though it is a relatively poor country compared to USA, Germany, France or UK) and the negotiations rarely exceed 5% of the price. This time, however, I think that the history of this watch could be a factor.

I will be happy to hear your opinions!

Re: Tag Carrera Chrono - old version

Hi there, instead of trying to get a better price (which could be tricky as you pointed out) you could also ask for them to completely service the watch before you purchase it. This would probably solve the problems you suspect the movement to have.

But if I were you, I would probably look out for something else because the price looks a bit too steep to me. I don't know how you feel about buying through the Internet, but I'm pretty sure you should be able to find a beautiful Speedy Pro for way less than what they ask for this Tag.

v76

That's way too much for a Carrera chrono. I got an NOS Zenith Class 4 El Primero for way lesser, and that's a hugely superior watch (and movement) to the Tag chrono.

I wouldn't pay more than Euro 1500 for an older NOS Tag Carrera chrono.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The base level 7750 does not compare to an Omega/Lemania 1861... they're not anywhere close to the same league. You can get a base level 7750 for $350. The cheapest I've found an Omega 1861 is $1861.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPenFly View Post
    The base level 7750 does not compare to an Omega/Lemania 1861... they're not anywhere close to the same league. You can get a base level 7750 for $350. The cheapest I've found an Omega 1861 is $1861.
    Hi,
    I did not really get your point. I don't know much about the TH Carrera, but it certainly does not have a 7750 (which is simple to notice just by looking at the subdials). I thought that it once had a Lemania 1861, but I don't know what is inside now. Any help in the movement question?

v76

It contains the Tag calibre 17 movement which is basically an ETA 2890-2 with a DD module. For a chronograph, I'd stay away from piggyback modules ... infact I'd take a 7750 based chrono over that movement.
    Last edited by v76; March 28th, 2010 at 23:19.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Thread Information