TAG F1 Quartz VS. Steinhart Ocean 44 Automatic
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: TAG F1 Quartz VS. Steinhart Ocean 44 Automatic

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

TAG F1 Quartz VS. Steinhart Ocean 44 Automatic

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie here and am just looking at buying a used watch and could use some advice.

both watches are about the same condition and age. Both sellers are more than happy to allow a dealer/jeweler to check them out.

TAG is a Formula 1 WAC1113 quartz

Steinhart Ocean 44 automatic

thanks for any advice

Re: TAG F1 Quartz VS. Steinhart Ocean 44 Automatic

Welcome!
    I'm no veteran around here either, but I would definitely go for an automatic.
    My first "real" watch was a quartz diver too (Movado series 800) and while I still like the looks of it, I usually wear my Orient blue ray. There's something about wearing an automatic watch, the sweeping second hand and probably the knowledge that something old fashioned mechanical is driving it rather than a battery.
    Others here can probably put it into words better, just my 10 cents.

And accidentally. I was just drooling over the steinhart ocean two (hoping the com out with a white premium version soon!) from what I read they seem to be very good quality for the price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Life's full of trade-offs.

It really depends what youre looking for.

The tag is more versatile and unique in design. If you dont care about the movement quartz is alright. Keeps time well and no fuss especially if you do t wear it for a while. Personally though id only get it at a decent price especially considering tag msrp's are over the top. Its used but still dont pay anywhere near retail. Also id only get it if it was the newest model. The whole line revamped either 2013 or 2012. Brand awareness wise to the common passerbys the tag would be better of course.

While the steiny is nice this ones essentially a homage. If youre ok with a homage then its great for its price. Automatic movement is worth more than quartz. However if you have other watches or just wont wear it daily the automatic can be a hassle to set.

I personally would go with the tag. Its just more versatile (on bracelet) and would be a great daily beater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the advice so far

I'm not sure what you consider "real" but my first decent watch was a Bulova Marine Star model 96B50. I had a house fire and my insurance company allowed me to replace 4 watches with one decent one. I have had it for about 12-14yrs now and i love it still. It is however getting quite worn. I have sent it in for repair and am still considering refurbishing the watch as i do love it. At the same time i was thinking it might be better to just fix the clasp and put the money into buying a "next step" watch. I am still a student on a budget so new is out right now.

I want to wear it everyday as i did the Bulova.

If you have any suggestions of a watch to buy i would gladly look for something different.

both of the watches I'm looking at are around $400 USD

Pic or link them? Makes it alot easier to determine cause each deal has their own finer points

They are actually both acquaintances i know through friends, not listed anywhere that i know of. I don't have pics cause i have seen the watches in person.

Ahh well whats your current collection like? Just the bulova? And are you looking to add more or just wear this one till it gives?

I currently have a very small collection of lower end watches. A diesel, 2 freestyle, 1 keneth cole reaction, and the Bulova.

I would like to add more eventually but not something i should be spending a ton of money on as a student lol.

So for now i would just wear the watch till it gives but will also wear other watches sometimes so its not getting really rough treatment.

I have an F1, got it for my 18th almost four years ago and it has been very sturdy. Requires very little maintenance, I've worn it in the ocean, pool, on rowdy nights out, on a tennis court and given it all sorts...still pristine. I'd ask for a discount though, as you really would be paying through the nose if you paid retail. I prefer mechanical watches these days, but the Tag has done me no wrong whatsoever.

Can't vouch for the Steinhart, but I have been very tempted by their offerings.
    Omega Seamaster Professional Planet Ocean 8500 Omega Speedmaster Professional 3572.50 Maurice Lacroix Pontos Day/Date Casio G-Shock DW-9052 TAG Heuer Formula 1 Lavina Manual Wind (Vintage 1940s) Swiss Military 6-512.15 Titanium

I recommend you get a Seiko SKX007. You can experience a mechanical movement.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.
    Sorry. My dirty English is Google Translate.
    Sorry. My poor english is google Translate.

<Rolex>
    116610LV(Cal.3135) Submariner Green.
    16610LV(Cal.3135) Submariner Green Black.

<Omega>
    Seamaster 120(Cal.630) Green.

<Seiko>
    SBGJ005(Cal.9S86) Grand Seiko Green.
    SBDX001(Cal.8L35) MM300.
    SKY007(Cal.4S26) BOY.
    SNZH55(Cal.4S36) Fifty Five Fathoms.
    6309-7040 Vintage turtle.

<FREDERIQUE CONSTANT>
    FC-335AS5M6(Sellita SW200).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information